Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newsflash: NZ has 'culture'

Newsflash: NZ has 'culture'

Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:11 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newsflash: NZ has 'culture'

Interesting that 'culture' is one of the things Lonely Planet listed as something that makes NZ a great place to visit.

I'd come to believe NZ didn't have any culture.....

----------------------------------------

NZ named top place to visit, for second year running

3.00pm
One of the world's biggest travel publishers has named New Zealand the world's top travel destination for the second year running.

Once a year Lonely Planet, which publishes 650 books in 17 languages, asks its staff to vote for the travel "hot spot" of the coming year.

Global travel editor Don George said it was "pretty extraordinary" for one country to top the list twice in a row.

He put the double down to a "perfect storm of spectacular pristine scenery, hospitable citizenry, compelling culture, perceived geopolitical safety and free global big-screen advertising -- courtesy of (Oscar-nominated movies) Lord of the Rings".

New Zealand would experience another tourism boom as a result, Mr George predicted.

"When Lonely Planet says this is a hot destination, a lot of people pay attention."

About 100 staffers voted in the publisher's four offices around the world, citing New Zealand's strong sense of culture, its relaxed attitude and its nuclear-free status.

Others said the "great New Zealand flick" Whale Rider would entice more visitors to the East Coast region, where highlights included watching rugby at Ruatoria, catching crayfish for dinner and staying on a marae.

Tourism New Zealand chief executive George Hickton said the accolade was excellent news because people were making increasing use of guide books.

Last month Tourism Minister Mark Burton said tourism already contributed $16.2 billion a year to the economy.

He said it was "well placed to give dairy a run for its money" as New Zealand's number one export industry.

The rest of Lonely Planet's top-five destinations for 2004 were filled out by Australia, Peru, Croatia and Thailand.

South America was voted the hottest region.

Last year's top five "hot spots" were New Zealand, Cambodia, China, Turkey and Cuba.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:12 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

And compelling culture at that!

Well, knock me down with a feather....
Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting Jon. I can feel a flood of negative posts coming on how lacking in 'culture' New Zealand is, lovely place to holiday in but try earning a living here, etc, etc.

OzTennis
Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

now would i dare say such a thing???

of course not..BUT..

If they are going to become a top tourist destination, they'll need to upgrade about 90% of their hotels to modern standards and also get themselves a public transport infastructure!!!
Old Feb 4th 2004, 10:22 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

Originally posted by podgypossum

of course not..BUT..

If they are going to become a top tourist destination, they'll need to upgrade about 90% of their hotels to modern standards and also get themselves a public transport infastructure!!!
how do you propose such changes are funded?

in any case - I think the lack of such things adds to it's charm

plenty of toher places in the world to go for infrastructure.

Though I do think the govt needs to bite the bullet and build a bloody great toll road down the middle of it. Kiwi's would never swallow it though - but it's the onlt way NZ will afford decent roads.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 10:02 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jandjuk
Though I do think the govt needs to bite the bullet and build a bloody great toll road down the middle of it. Kiwi's would never swallow it though - but it's the onlt way NZ will afford decent roads.
True enough - NZ needs a proper motorway, AKL-Wellington and Picton-Christchurch.

I reckon they could finance it without the need for a toll. Another 5c on a litre of fuel? Running big budget surplus at the moment, too - a crime in most economists' eyes. Spend more.

Infrastructure that would please both sides of the political divide (so doff your hats the sandal-wearers! )
Old Feb 4th 2004, 10:07 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

of course not..BUT..

thats so bitchy , they have it IN WRITING in 17 languages u know !!! wonder if sheep talk is 1 of em
Old Feb 4th 2004, 10:27 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

of course not..BUT..

The Hotel I stayed in Auckland was of the standard one would expect for the money paid. Does it go downhill in the provinces?
Old Feb 4th 2004, 10:30 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
The Hotel I stayed in Auckland was of the standard one would expect for the money paid. Does it go downhill in the provinces?
Don't know about hotels but motels in the 90-130 range were invariably what you expect pretty much everywhere we went (that's everywhere) - good quality, new or nearly new, all the works.

When we were stuffed by not booking ahead and had to cop a cheapie, quality was usually a lot rougher but that's reflected by the price (say, NZD70).
Old Feb 4th 2004, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Personally, i dont care that much wher ei stay as long as it is clean and functional...BUT... if you are going to put yourself on the market as the worlds top tourist destination, can you imagine the yanks and others being happy with whats on offer at he moment?

Take Auckland airport for starters... we stayed in the most expensive hotel close to the airport the night before we left for Oz. Our room was bare breeze block with a slap of emulsion painted over it!!!...and this is the best they offer at the airport?????... it didnt bother me, but i can see it bothering a lot of other trvellers, when they have paid top price
Old Feb 5th 2004, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Gladrags is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newsflash: NZ has 'culture'

Originally posted by jandjuk
Interesting that 'culture' is one of the things Lonely Planet listed as something that makes NZ a great place to visit.

I'd come to believe NZ didn't have any culture.....

----------------------------------------

NZ named top place to visit, for second year running

3.00pm
One of the world's biggest travel publishers has named New Zealand the world's top travel destination for the second year running.

Once a year Lonely Planet, which publishes 650 books in 17 languages, asks its staff to vote for the travel "hot spot" of the coming year.

Global travel editor Don George said it was "pretty extraordinary" for one country to top the list twice in a row.

He put the double down to a "perfect storm of spectacular pristine scenery, hospitable citizenry, compelling culture, perceived geopolitical safety and free global big-screen advertising -- courtesy of (Oscar-nominated movies) Lord of the Rings".

New Zealand would experience another tourism boom as a result, Mr George predicted.

"When Lonely Planet says this is a hot destination, a lot of people pay attention."

About 100 staffers voted in the publisher's four offices around the world, citing New Zealand's strong sense of culture, its relaxed attitude and its nuclear-free status.

Others said the "great New Zealand flick" Whale Rider would entice more visitors to the East Coast region, where highlights included watching rugby at Ruatoria, catching crayfish for dinner and staying on a marae.

Tourism New Zealand chief executive George Hickton said the accolade was excellent news because people were making increasing use of guide books.

Last month Tourism Minister Mark Burton said tourism already contributed $16.2 billion a year to the economy.

He said it was "well placed to give dairy a run for its money" as New Zealand's number one export industry.

The rest of Lonely Planet's top-five destinations for 2004 were filled out by Australia, Peru, Croatia and Thailand.

South America was voted the hottest region.

Last year's top five "hot spots" were New Zealand, Cambodia, China, Turkey and Cuba.
I know all this to be true but I can't see what it has to do with culture. I think when people berate NZ for its supposed lack of they are referring to Art Galleries that hold major, and recognised collections, same with the Museums etc. Sure, the tourists are flocking here. But not for the culture I would guess.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:40 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gladrags
I know all this to be true but I can't see what it has to do with culture. I think when people berate NZ for its supposed lack of they are referring to Art Galleries that hold major, and recognised collections, same with the Museums etc. Sure, the tourists are flocking here. But not for the culture I would guess.
You've fallen into the trap of viewing the term culture very narrowly, from a European perspective. The tourists are indeed flocking to NZ among other things to see Maori culture and take part in the modern kiwi lifestyle (beaches, the outdoors, sports, adventure activities, eco stuff). A country's culture is far more than what is locked up inside museums and galleries. It also includes doing things like a wine trail in NZ, or going to a pub in the UK.

I always find the statements about "lack of culture" in NZ and Aus a bit vague. The number of British people (rather than tourists) who visit museums and galleries in the UK never seemed that high to me. Yet a remarkable number of dissatisfied immigrants seem to quote this as a major issue.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Well I know One tourist who has No intention of ever going back.
Been there ,done that, wouldn't do it again.

G
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Gladrags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by southerner
You've fallen into the trap of viewing the term culture very narrowly, from a European perspective. The tourists are indeed flocking to NZ among other things to see Maori culture and take part in the modern kiwi lifestyle (beaches, the outdoors, sports, adventure activities, eco stuff). A country's culture is far more than what is locked up inside museums and galleries. It also includes doing things like a wine trail in NZ, or going to a pub in the UK.

I always find the statements about "lack of culture" in NZ and Aus a bit vague. The number of British people (rather than tourists) who visit museums and galleries in the UK never seemed that high to me. Yet a remarkable number of dissatisfied immigrants seem to quote this as a major issue.
I don't believe I am guilty of viewing 'culture' in a narrow way at all. Maori culture is not something I would be celebrating to be honest, no. Lovely poi dances, powhiri, hakas etc but not too flash in the Twenty First Century.
As regards outdoor pursuits being termed culture, yes, but of the 'low brow variety. I understand culture embraces a way of life but thanks for highlighting my ignorance. I think the point perhaps is more that NZ fails in the 'high brow' variety. Whether that is an issue for other people is another thing . For me it is.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:43 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

'low brow'?? 'high brow'??

stop it, you're making me laugh!! no wonder you don't like NZ with talk like this!

Most NZer's couldn't give a stuff about high and low brow.... I suppose you think Te Papa is low brow too? Bring back the glass cases and tiny labels - yawn....

The fact that NZ doesn't have much 'high brow' culture is exactly the point. It is there if you look in the right places, but it's certainly not presented as 'high brow'! Sure, not many recognised international collections, but the outside europe and new york, who does have these?? You might find some NZ artwork - after all you are in New Zealand.

Your comments on Maori culture demonstrate some spendidly colonial British views. 'not too flash in the 21st century'??

21st century Britain perhaps. Who are you to tell Maori what is and isn't flash in your definition of the 21st century?

Last edited by jandjuk; Feb 5th 2004 at 8:49 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.