Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

News out of nothing - Herald Sun

News out of nothing - Herald Sun

Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:38 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News out of nothing - Herald Sun

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
DH and I got 100% but I beat him by 15 seconds and he is never to be allowed to forget it...

Seriously though? Average of one question wrong - it's hardly time to sit in the corner with a dunce cap on is it..
Must have been a very slow news day for the pom haters to get that article published
Every day is a slow news day in Australia because they never report anything that matters. It's what happens when one man owns 70% of the press.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:46 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I just took this test and got 3 wrong:
I thought the majority of the NT population lived in Darwin,
I had no idea about the Torres Strait Islander flag, and
I didn't put "Britain had harsh laws" as well as "Overcrowded jails" as a reason for transportation.

Do I care? Not one iota.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:48 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
All history matters, not just the exciting bits.
Does it?

Really?

I know its all very happy clappy to claim that, but the reality is some stuff makes a difference, and much of it does not.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:50 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Does it?

Really?

I know its all very happy clappy to claim that, but the reality is some stuff makes a difference, and much of it does not.
Give me an example of history that doesn't matter to anyone.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:54 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Give me an example of history that doesn't matter to anyone.
The statement was 'make a difference' and if you want a germane example, Australia prior to discovery by Cook - excepting geology and differential evolution.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:56 am
Banned

The statement was 'make a difference' and if you want a germane example, Australia prior to discovery by Cook - excepting geology and differential evolution.
Making a difference to what? Sounds like you're focussing on industrial or technological history. Pre-Cook Australia has a fascinating history.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:21 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Pre-Cook Australia has a fascinating history.
Considering that the prime definition(s) of "history" involve the written account, anything prior to the Cook landing has to be considered as 'pre-history'.

From Collins English Dictionary

Definitions
noun
(plural) -ries
a.a record or account, often chronological in approach, of past events, developments, etc
b.(as modifier) ⇒ a history book, a history play
2.all that is preserved or remembered of the past, esp in written form
3.the discipline of recording and interpreting past events involving human beings

The 'history' of Australia prior to the first European arrivals (pre-Cook) is from Dreamtime legends (which are hardly factual) and modern interpretation of archeological artifacts - fascinating, yes, but not 'history'.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:24 am
Just Joined

weenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really niceweenetty is just really nice

Looks like I will need to study hard if I'm to pass if and when the time comes lol it's funny as I was having a convo with some clients about this recently (all Australian) and they admitted they wouldn't know half the answers and to be fair I'm ashamed to say if I had to do the same for the uk I'd probably fail that also I was crap at history at school too lol
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Considering that the prime definition(s) of "history" involve the written account, anything prior to the Cook landing has to be considered as 'pre-history'.

From Collins English Dictionary

Definitions
noun
(plural) -ries
a.a record or account, often chronological in approach, of past events, developments, etc
b.(as modifier) ⇒ a history book, a history play
2.all that is preserved or remembered of the past, esp in written form
3.the discipline of recording and interpreting past events involving human beings

The 'history' of Australia prior to the first European arrivals (pre-Cook) is from Dreamtime legends (which are hardly factual) and modern interpretation of archeological artifacts - fascinating, yes, but not 'history'.
That's just semantics. We're talking about recorded events, and I include stories handed down verbally otherwise we dismiss native North American and Aboriginal culture out of hand as "unfactual", which is absurd.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 4:43 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

That's just semantics. We're talking about recorded events, and I include stories handed down verbally otherwise we dismiss native North American and Aboriginal culture out of hand as "unfactual", which is absurd.
There is a huge difference between culture, which is the way people live their lives, and recorded events which is history. The Aboriginal peoples have a distinct culture but what evidence is there that the culture they practice nowadays (and in the past 200+ years of recorded history) is the same culture they practiced 400 or 500 years ago? Their culture (and that of other indigenous peoples) has been passed down by word of mouth over the generations and embellished by each succeeding generation as all such stories are.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
There is a huge difference between culture, which is the way people live their lives, and recorded events which is history. The Aboriginal peoples have a distinct culture but what evidence is there that the culture they practice nowadays (and in the past 200+ years of recorded history) is the same culture they practiced 400 or 500 years ago? Their culture (and that of other indigenous peoples) has been passed down by word of mouth over the generations and embellished by each succeeding generation as all such stories are.
I quite agree with your definitions here, and the fastest way round this is to make the earlier question read "what part of our cultural story is not important to anybody?" instead. That gets to the point better.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:12 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Making a difference to what? Sounds like you're focussing on industrial or technological history. Pre-Cook Australia has a fascinating history.
My standard is quite simple. Do your Dr Who bit and remove the item of history from the world. Would anyone really notice the difference?

Kinda the definition of 'make a difference' I'd say.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 5:21 am
Banned

My standard is quite simple. Do your Dr Who bit and remove the item of history from the world. Would anyone really notice the difference?

Kinda the definition of 'make a difference' I'd say.
I cannot think of a part of history I could remove from the world without it making a difference.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

100% - just as well as I'll soon be doing the test for real.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the op's description, this would be appalling reporting, tabloid news at its worse, and even by Australian standards low.

Even with the advent of Australia Day it's poor. Even a joke about cricket might be in order.

I can't even open a tabloid paper these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.