Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newly assessed teachers

Newly assessed teachers

Old Aug 10th 2012, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

weezypenguin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newly assessed teachers

My wife has just gone through the process of having her Teaching qualifications assesed.
She has been given provisional registration but not full.
I just wondered if this is normal. Like most things it seems that she cannot do certain things because of this.
As previously stated in other threads she qualified years ago and has worked for many years and even been recognised in another country also.
I wonder if this the same for teachers going to UK...
Thanks inadvance
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: Newly assessed teachers

I got full registration straight off. Might be worth giving them a call/email to ask why.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

hi Iwannabethere, where are you? we are in QLD
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weezypenguin
My wife has just gone through the process of having her Teaching qualifications assesed.
She has been given provisional registration but not full.
I just wondered if this is normal. Like most things it seems that she cannot do certain things because of this.
As previously stated in other threads she qualified years ago and has worked for many years and even been recognised in another country also.
I wonder if this the same for teachers going to UK...
Thanks inadvance
Does it matter? Each country have their own rules that may or may not be the same or similar to other countries. Have you had a look on the Teachers forum?
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I got full rego in Victoria. I know that Queensland seemed to be less enthusiastic about overseas registrations when we were up there. They told me they wouldn't even look at international applications for a few months (why I don't know! And why tell me even more!!), then it would be a long process. In Vic, they apologised for it taking 5 weeks as it was the busiest time of the year (Dec-Jan) as the graduates were all going through. This was only my experience though.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Had initial assessment done in Vic (OH got cold feet about SA and so we planned to move to Vic, then he changed his mind and we moved to SA as originally planned) and so transferred to SA. I was on maternity leave at the time and am only just applying for a post having been here for 4 years.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Hi
I am in qld too and hane bearly 20 years experience plus was a deputy head and yes I am only provisional too. It takes 200 days of working to get full rego- difficult to accumulate on supply with young children......
Iam currently on a 6 month contract covering a maternity leave and when I spoke to qld they said it doesnt affect you getting jobs and just requires a headteacher to write a short piece after 200 days. Also note that in public sector you need to do 40 days of supply before you can get contracts beyond the short term......

Blooming frustration when you think how more advanced the uk system is....
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

I'm in QLD and I believe each state may be different. I received a provisional before I arrived and had to complete 12 months of teaching before I could apply for a full. I had a temporary contracted of three months before arriving and then had my contract extended for another 12 months to be a Year Co-ordinator. I'm now a permanent HoD at a different school and have just submitted my application for a Full licence.
What you have received sounds about right and based on my experience and knowledge you have nothing to worry about. BoL
Old Aug 11th 2012, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

All states are different. It is worth querying any assessment, as decisions are based on hard-coded rules, some of which may conflict.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Actually nsw gives provisional registration to any over seas teacher or any Australian who has had more than 5 years out o the profession. It's a paper exercise nobody will thi k you are a beginner, everyone understands that you need stuff ticking off. It's just how it works here. A friend who took 4 years out raising kids is also provisional. Don't take it personally! It's annoying but won't change the fact you have experience .
Old Oct 15th 2012, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Sorry not replied to my post. But thanks for all the great responses.
So trying to find a teaching job seems to be harder and harder every day.
Unfortunatley supply is to hard with 2 small ones at school and then trying to arrange before and after school help.
Took a job in a daycare, and currently having my qualifications assessed by ACEQUA. That is another nightmare. Jusr got an email saying what teaching experiance did i have with birth to 2 year olds. They want qualified primary teachers in the daycare system but then make it hard to actualluty do it.
So this is the third time i have had my quallifcations assessed.
Any one else been through the ACEQUA assesment?