Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newcomers network- Melbourne

Newcomers network- Melbourne

Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newcomers network- Melbourne

Thought I post this in case anyone in Melbourne isn't aware of it.
It arrived in my post today.

http://www.newcomersnetwork.com/mel/...ters/index.php

The golden milewalk might be interesting...you could always organise your own Melbourne meet walk ?!

There are some helpful links on the site for all you guys just starting out in Melbourne.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcomers network- Melbourne

Originally posted by helinuk
Thought I post this in case anyone in Melbourne isn't aware of it.
It arrived in my post today.

http://www.newcomersnetwork.com/mel/...ters/index.php

The golden milewalk might be interesting...you could always organise your own Melbourne meet walk ?!

There are some helpful links on the site for all you guys just starting out in Melbourne.
Good link thanks. The golden mile walk is well known and signposted and you don't have to pay for it but this organised one might be a good opportunity to meet others so there are commendable aspects to using a commercial site.

The Parliament and Treasury buildings and the Windsor Hotel in Spring Street - all within yards of each other - are well worth a good look. Around the corner in Collins Street the Sofitel Hotel has a food court and excellent shops. You can spend ages just in this very small pocket. And then you jump on the free city circle tram, do the full loop and come back to Spring Street.

OzTennis
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
Good link thanks. The golden mile walk is well known and signposted and you don't have to pay for it but this organised one might be a good opportunity to meet others so there are commendable aspects to using a commercial site.

The Parliament and Treasury buildings and the Windsor Hotel in Spring Street - all within yards of each other - are well worth a good look. Around the corner in Collins Street the Sofitel Hotel has a food court and excellent shops. You can spend ages just in this very small pocket. And then you jump on the free city circle tram, do the full loop and come back to Spring Street.

OzTennis
ohh yes I had a delicious tea at the Windsor
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:39 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

The City circle tram now goes way down around Telstra Stadium at Docklands so its good value for us Scots being free. Last time I was on it we even had a Clippie.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bordy
The City circle tram now goes way down around Telstra Stadium at Docklands so its good value for us Scots being free. Last time I was on it we even had a Clippie.
Clippie???
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:56 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Clippie used to be a conductress on the trams on Glasgow. My Granny told me honest. There Fav saying was " Come on get aff"
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bordy

Yep, did the new route twice in August - on separate days I hasten to add.

OzTennis
Old Mar 18th 2004, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

OzTennis
you are a glutton for punishment. The City Circle tram has to be the most rickety, uncomfortable tram ever to roam the streets of melbourne!! (Mind you, there is something so charming about the old trams, even the 'new' old trams - those hi-tech French ones just have no personality! They even 'beep-beep' rather than 'ding ding'. It's just not the same!!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

OzTennis
I only used the St Kilda tram and circle tram on my last day there and didn't do the whole route, so I'll have to add that to my " to do next time" list
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ohh yes I had a delicious tea at the Windsor
The traditional afternoon tea or the Ice Cream or the Chocolate or the classic Indulgence?

http://www.thewindsor.com.au/rb-traditional.html

If you are stuck for an idea for a gift for someone in Melbourne get them an afternoon tea or lunch gift voucher which you can even do online. It is a 5 star hotel but the prices are not too extravagant and from personal experience, the recipient will be 'over the moon'. The vouchers last for 12 months and the recipient just books a convenient date. (and no, I'm not on commission I was just chuffed with the response a voucher got from my parents for their wedding anniversary).

OzTennis
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I only used the St Kilda tram and circle tram on my last day there and didn't do the whole route, so I'll have to add that to my " to do next time" list
Train to Parliament station (no parking worries), City Circle tram in Spring St, do the full 'circle' back for lunch or afternoon tea at the Windsor, pop across the road and do a free tour of the Parliament buildings, get all your souvenirs at the Parliament gift shop across the road, around to Collins Street and the Sofitel for a coffee and shopping (or the expensive shops of the 'Paris end') and then back to Parliament station.

Added loop for OzT and Mrs OzT is to nip down to Melbourne Park and the MCG and the Botanic Gardens and a walk along the Yarra to Southbank!

OzTennis
Old Mar 18th 2004, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Train to Parliament station (no parking worries), City Circle tram in Spring St, do the full 'circle' back for lunch or afternoon tea at the Windsor, pop across the road and do a free tour of the Parliament buildings, get all your souvenirs at the Parliament gift shop across the road, around to Collins Street and the Sofitel for a coffee and shopping (or the expensive shops of the 'Paris end') and then back to Parliament station.

Added loop for OzT and Mrs OzT is to nip down to Melbourne Park and the MCG and the Botanic Gardens and a walk along the Yarra to Southbank!

OzTennis
Sounds like you're a tad homesick OT

- what are you doing living in Scotland? Are you here for short term contract or longer?
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sounds like you're a tad homesick OT

- what are you doing living in Scotland? Are you here for short term contract or longer?
No, very happy here at the moment Helen. You won't see me posting a thread on what's bad about Scotland!! I really like it here because we've got good jobs, good friends, plenty of tennis, plenty of different places to visit nearby and I live in a beautiful part of the world

Naturally I miss my family and the place I was born and threads on Melbourne allow me to rekindle memories and share my experiences and knowledge. Fortunately we are lucky to be able to visit Melbourne for 5 weeks every year.

Geez this is deep and meaningful - we Aussie men are meant to be so shallow so I'd better stop.

We have a place back in Melbourne so sometime in the future we will move back to there and we'll also be able to move back to Scotland - best of both worlds I reckon.

OzTennis
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

No, very happy here at the moment Helen. You won't see me posting a thread on what's bad about Scotland!! I really like it here because we've got good jobs, good friends, plenty of tennis, plenty of different places to visit nearby and I live in a beautiful part of the world

Naturally I miss my family and the place I was born and threads on Melbourne allow me to rekindle memories and share my experiences and knowledge. Fortunately we are lucky to be able to visit Melbourne for 5 weeks every year.

Geez this is deep and meaningful - we Aussie men are meant to be so shallow so I'd better stop.

We have a place back in Melbourne so sometime in the future we will move back to there and we'll also be able to move back to Scotland - best of both worlds I reckon.

OzTennis
Good to hear a positive view of Scotland

its ok I won't tell the other Aussie guys OT

I while ago I was chatting to an old school friend who married an AUssie and has lived in oz 25yrs. He said the same thing -at times misses his family and friends, chatting to us rekindled memories of uk and school friends. Unlike you they only visit home -in uk ever 5 yrs.