Reload this Page >

Newcastle, Covered in soot!!!!!

Newcastle, Covered in soot!!!!!

Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Mad Moggies R Us is on a distinguished road
Default Newcastle, Covered in soot!!!!!

Hi all

My husband was chatting to an Aus chap in London the other night ( hubby works in IT, not known to be that outragous ) he wouldn't normally chat to people he does'nt know, but when he heard the accent, he thought he'd fire a few questions at him, and one question was, What area of Newcastle NSW is a nice area to move to? he told my hubby that if we looked North of Newcastle houses were cheap, but the people get covered in SOOT!!! :scared:
Is this true?
I would like a bit of colour to my cheeks when we move, but I feel its a bit of a drastic measure
Any advice would be great
thanks
Sarah,Craig and the moggies
Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:41 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Newcastle, Covered in soot!!!!!

Originally Posted by Mad Moggies R Us
Hi all

My husband was chatting to an Aus chap in London the other night ( hubby works in IT, not known to be that outragous ) he wouldn't normally chat to people he does'nt know, but when he heard the accent, he thought he'd fire a few questions at him, and one question was, What area of Newcastle NSW is a nice area to move to? he told my hubby that if we looked North of Newcastle houses were cheap, but the people get covered in SOOT!!! :scared:
Is this true?
I would like a bit of colour to my cheeks when we move, but I feel its a bit of a drastic measure
thanks
THE NEWCASTLE SMOKE ABATEMENT CAMPAIGN
Old Jul 12th 2005, 10:44 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Is this true?
thanks
It is certainly a very industrialised area. I believe there is a lot of unemployment there as jobs were lost when a steel plant closed. It also has one of the largest docks in Australia. It was covered in rain when we were there two years ago (I didn't notice any soot) but it has some great surf beaches, the people were really friendly. I would much prefer to live there than Sydney.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

Its got the best YHA i've ever stayed in, and the waves crashing on the pier were amazing. I liked Newcastle alot. It was very clean and the people were very friendly too
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Hi all

Is this true?
thanks
Hi there,

We've been living near Newcastle for 18 months now and so far I've managed to live soot free! If you're looking to move to this area I would recommend looking south towards Lake Macquarie - its about a half hour at most into Newcastle if you stay at the northern end of the lake. Parts of the Newcastle/Hunter/Lake Macquarie areas are grottsville like anywhere else in the world but the good bits far outway the bad bits and we are really happy here. If you would like any more specific info I would be happy to help.

Julie
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

optus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura about

Hi all

Is this true?
thanks
We’ve been in Newcastle seven months now. There is no soot to be found – not even for ready money.

OPTUS
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:04 am
Geordie Pioneer

Location: Melbourne as of Aug 2005, formally Newcastle upon Tyne
Macky74 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
When we was on holiday in Australia a couple of years ago for the last Ashes we travelled up the NSW coast and we spend a few days in Newcastle.

The people were very friendly and the place wasn't as industrial as I was expecting but you could see a few oil tankers out to sea.

Good nightlife in Newcastle we throughly enjoyed our stay.

Andrew
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

I spent about 13 years living in Newcastle, NSW between the ages of 8 and 21. Certainly during the 1980's it did have a bit of a "sooty" reputation. However the main culprit, BHP, has diminished in size and now the city is much cleaner. Whilst I wouldn't want to return there the city does boast beautiful beaches and for some people offers the ideal Ozzie lifestyle. My parents moved to Lake Macquarie about 5 years ago and again, whilst not my cup of tea is idyllic in many ways.

HTH