Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newcastle Brown Ale

Newcastle Brown Ale

Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:36 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcastle Brown Ale

Originally Posted by paul30
as soon as possible but my visa only went off last week so hoping early 08
Get here in the summer...then we'll have to have a pub meet near the beach
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:40 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Get here in the summer...then we'll have to have a pub meet near the beach
all being well I will be over for 3 weeks at christmas for a visit
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

good point I'm a black sheep man myself doubt I'll see any of that over there
Our local wine bar sells bottles of Black Sheep and other interesting UK brews
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:42 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

all being well I will be over for 3 weeks at christmas for a visit
Are you alone or with family/partner? Whatever, be sure to get in touch nearer the time and arrange for a pint when you're over
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:45 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by The Crow
The Basin really is a little paradise in the hills, innit

If I didn't want to live in this area, I'd consider moving your way...beautiful round there
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:47 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Are you alone or with family/partner? Whatever, be sure to get in touch nearer the time and arrange for a pint when you're over
I'm coming all by myself but I will definately be intouch about a drink
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

The Basin really is a little paradise in the hills, innit

If I didn't want to live in this area, I'd consider moving your way...beautiful round there
Yes, it's funny - for such a small place, there's a lot going for it. However, if we didn't have the kids, we'd choose somewhere near where you are. I love St Kilda and surrounds. The Basin is perfect and affordable for us at the moment with young ones - just need to win the lotto, so we can also have an apartment in the city and a beach house on the Mornington Peninsula
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

ianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this pointianbrown is an unknown quantity at this point

Whey hey!!!, first good news on the job front and then endless supplies of Newcy Brown, TODAY IS A VERY GOOD DAY!, To be honest apart from family & friends It was they only thing I would have missed, that and Leeds United!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:20 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't get in the shops, look here www.beerstore.com.au . Has a good range of UK beers. I get my Marstons Pedigree through them.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:51 am
Down Under

nicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud of

Would that be the Acorn on Forest Road?

We ate there on Tuesday evening, not too bad -- perhaps a bit pricey and over-fancy (for these parts), we thought. The chef/owner sounded like a Pom and we overheard a table of people with English accents. Had a Speckled Hen in the Oak Tree beforehand, then a couple of bottles of English Ale with our meal.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nicktork
Would that be the Acorn on Forest Road?

We ate there on Tuesday evening, not too bad -- perhaps a bit pricey and over-fancy (for these parts), we thought. The chef/owner sounded like a Pom and we overheard a table of people with English accents. Had a Speckled Hen in the Oak Tree beforehand, then a couple of bottles of English Ale with our meal.
Certainly is! Yes, Mel the owner is from Up North somewhere (can't remember exactly). They used to own the Oak Tree beforehand (they were better hosts there). I agree that the food is quite good, but a little small and fancy (Adam wouldn't like the portion sizes!!). The breakfasts are good though!

The Oak Tree can be quite lively at weekends with some reasonable bands etc. The lease was up not long after we moved here and we did consider it - wish we had of now as the current owners aren't that popular.

Whereabouts are you?

Rachel
Old Aug 24th 2007, 10:39 am
Down Under

nicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud of

Certainly is!

Whereabouts are you?

Rachel
We're near Alchester Village, three mini-roundabouts away if you head towards Canterbury Road. We're on Chloe Close, just behind the garden centre.

We've been here for a little over 12 months now. Funnily enough we thought about taking on the Oak Tree business too, when we saw it was available. Glad we didn't, much prefer it on this side of the bar.

I think we actually might've met briefly at Bordy's last Melbourne Cup Day??? Drop me a PM if you fancy a swift one in the Oak Tree with us sometime over the weekend.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

smudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant future

Newky Brown is readily available all over Aus !! along with many other's you'll be glad to hear.

If ever you go to cairns, head for the Cock and Bull (traditional english pub) they have it on draught there. Thought i'd died and gone to heaven when i found it.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:27 pm
Take it easy

OK, went in to the Dan Murphy's on Chapel street yesterday and you can get Black sheep for $7.99 a bottle or $31.96 for 4, and Newcastle Brown is $19.99 for 6 bottles.

For those of you who enjoy a drink, get prepared for the prices...beer ain't cheap here
Old Aug 25th 2007, 1:53 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babyboo2101
Sorry to go off topic, but have any of you expats seen this out there in the shops in bottles?..........its my favourite tipple, I remember seeing Draught Guinness out there readily available but what is it like buying UK beer?, if not I will stick to Hahn Ice, Tooheys and Redback which were quite nice from memory!

Thanks Ian
The only place I've seen this is in the middle of bloody nowhere!! I had a bottle in a road house on the Stuart Highway about 300km north of Alice Springs. Mind you it tasted funny and when I checked the label, it was out of date

If you like Newcy Brown, give Toohey's Old a go. I'm actually almost converted to the fizzy stuff now (from being a Guinness or real ale only man), though I do treat myself to a few tins of Guinness from time to time (don't bother getting it on draught in a bar, it just isn't right). I had a few Toohey's Extra Dry Platinum last night, and they went down nicely in front of the footy