Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newcastle in Australia

Wikiposts

Newcastle in Australia

Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice
Default Re: Newcastle in Australia

Originally Posted by longreach
I have been to Newcastle many times... used to live nearby and even went to school there (actually a small place called Whitebridge just off the Pacific Highway near Charlestown).
Small world - that's where we are and daughter goes to Whitebridge High now. When were you here at school?

Julie
Old Apr 13th 2005, 11:58 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wombat42
Looks like she ran out of luck.
I remembered that one because I did think it was funny - how apt a pokie machine falling on someone in this country , but I thought I'd better not take the Mick because the poor woman did die. That's not so funny, but the pokie machine lol

Actually Newcastle is where I've seen my first armed robbery too. I wasn't long here, second week maybe. I was sitting in a cafe opposite a bank , next thing it was crawling with police - an armed robbery in the bank opposite.
I thought ooh nice lol, welcome to Aus

Third week a fight broke out in one of our local pubs we were in between two aboriginals - one was calling the other a N ( he was darker than the other one), glass and chairs flying everywhere - apparently they were from two diff tribes or something, always trouble in one of these pubs - but it would be over in two minutes - and everyone would get back to playing pool , and drinking lol ( and I was living in a decent area, not a rough area - the local pub was in a little town about half hour walk away)

Other than that - it was quite a friendly place lol , seriously, you don't half get some characters down there. I found them a lot more friendlier, more down to earth/genuine than Brisbanites. The scenery around Newcastle is far more beautiful than Brisbane

Most of the local people ( born and bred ones) there in Newcastle did not like Sydney at all, they found it unfriendly compared to their towns in Newcastle and surrounds. We were also warned about Brisbane by a mate who had lived in Brisbane before ( the one who said he's travelled and worked in a lot of places in Aus, but kept coming back to Newcastle), but we had no choice coming here - well we did have a choice but this was the reason why we came to Aus in the first place to set up a company in Brisbane. It's just ended up staying in Newcastle for just over a year a bit longer than expected, was only supposed to be a month there. ( head au branch was down there).

Without upsetting the so called locals here, which I am probably going to do by saying this, but it's my own feelings, so tough - geeze I find most of Brisbane boring, lacks real character and real beauty. Most lacking place I've ever been to in the world. But that's just my feelings about the place. each to their own.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:06 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by bondipom
Maybe if you leave at 6:00am you'll get to Darling Harbour in an hour and a half. In rush hour forget it. Personally I found the central coast to be a giant suburb of quarter acre blocks encroaching on the bush land all over the place. The councils have as much idea about planning as Michael Jackson does about childcare. The councils are also corrupt so I cannot see the sprawl stopping.

A lot of sydneysiders have a second holiday home around Terrigal and in the nicer areas which has pushed the houseprices up to the silly levels. I doubt many of the people you have highlighted work in the area or live there whilst working in Sydney.
I have family near there and, I love the Central Coast. It is a nice part of the world; I can see people saying parts of it are ordinary but parts will be - the bests are fantastic. I lived there for 4 months. I'd rather have a 1/4 acre block on bush land than a new build or a city cottage. Where you work is down to you. The commute is done by a fair few.

Badge

Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:18 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
I have family near there and, I love the Central Coast. It is a nice part of the world; I can see people saying parts of it are ordinary but parts will be - the bests are fantastic. I lived there for 4 months. I'd rather have a 1/4 acre block on bush land than a new build or a city cottage. Where you work is down to you. The commute is done by a fair few.

Badge
The bush land is getting hacked away bit by bit. Local government politicians are either the developers or being paid off by developers. There are some nice areas there but developers like nice areas.

The work opportunities on the coast are limited.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

longreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud oflongreach has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Macquarie
Small world - that's where we are and daughter goes to Whitebridge High now. When were you here at school?

Julie
WOW!!! Indeed it is a very small world. I went to Whitebridge High in 1988/89. Bet it has changed a bit now though. Do you live in Whitebridge??
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Originally Posted by longreach
WOW!!! Indeed it is a very small world. I went to Whitebridge High in 1988/89. Bet it has changed a bit now though. Do you live in Whitebridge??
No - we live just down the road from Whitebridge shops but its classed as Charlestown. 7 mins drive to Dudley beach & 10 mins to Redhead - bliss.

Julie
Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Hi Boomerang

Sorry - was going a bit off topic there!!

Just wondering if you had decided on whether to take the job offer or not?

Julie