Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living Brissie....

Cost of Living Brissie....

Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough
Default Cost of Living Brissie....

Just been throwing together yet another of my million and one spreadsheets, this one to do with the cost of living in Brissie based on two people (and possibly one extra small person...but who knows). Got some of the information off other threads but would really help if people could highlight the blindingly obvious things I have missed and also if possible if my figures are waaaaay out.

Oh yeah this is based on the AU$ being at 2.44

Cheers

Monthly Bills

GBP AUD
Household
Rent £500.00 $1,220.00
Food £200.00 $488.00
Rates - General £35.00 $85.40
Rates - Water £36.00 $87.84
Electric £100.00 $244.00
Gas £100.00 $244.00
Telephone £100.00 $244.00

Vehicles
Bike Insurance £30.00 $73.20
Car Insurance £30.00 $73.20
Petrol £70.00 $170.80

Insurance
Medicare £100.00 $244.00
Contents Insurance £50.00 $122.00

Leisure
Going Out £400.00 $976.00
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of Living Brissie....

Originally Posted by MrFlibbleUK
Just been throwing together yet another of my million and one spreadsheets, this one to do with the cost of living in Brissie based on two people (and possibly one extra small person...but who knows). Got some of the information off other threads but would really help if people could highlight the blindingly obvious things I have missed and also if possible if my figures are waaaaay out.

Oh yeah this is based on the AU$ being at 2.44

Cheers

Monthly Bills

GBP AUD
Household
Rent £500.00 $1,220.00
Food £200.00 $488.00 - $200 a week cheap....for 4 people approx$700
Rates - General £35.00 $85.40 you wont pay these if you are renting
Rates - Water £36.00 $87.84 you will only pay consumption if u r renting
Electric £100.00 $244.00 - i pay this for approx 80 days
Gas £100.00 $244.00 - i pay $90 for 3 months
Telephone £100.00 $244.00 = normally $100

Vehicles
Bike Insurance £30.00 $73.20 - dunno
Car Insurance £30.00 $73.20 for 2 cars $40 per month but cheaper if u pay in full
Petrol £70.00 $170.80 depends on where u work

Insurance
Medicare £100.00 $244.00 medicare has a refun dthing in place for most of what u pay out - u must mean private
Contents Insurance £50.00 $122.00 $55 for buildings and contents

Leisure
- i dont spen no where neae that but i am sad!!

i am not in brisbane - in perth so probably shouldnt be answering this but i will!! some off the prices are so off - see at side of your prices what i pay
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by thewoods
- i dont spen no where neae that but i am sad!!

i am not in brisbane - in perth so probably shouldnt be answering this but i will!! some off the prices are so off - see at side of your prices what i pay
Thanks for the advice...must admit some figures were just a wild stab in the dark. Do you think I have missed anything?
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just though I would bump this back up again ready for the Brisbanites to read when they get up!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just though I would bump this back up again ready for the Brisbanites to read when they get up!
I should have a look back at posts from ABC Diamond as I'm sure hes done this before. Some of the figures do look a bit high - The Bloke has decided my phone bills are pretty reasonable now hes seen yours!!!!!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 9:56 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Our phone bill due next week for 3 months - $232.05.

$80 of that was me calling Dagboys mobile!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mmm...think I overdid the phone bills!!! :scared: does everything else look about right??....have I missed anything (the wine fund is in within the going out money ).
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

Our food bills are more but maybe thats cos we've got a hungry baby who needs lots of nappies too.

On the nappy subject for anyone interested, the nappies are far behind the UK, we do miss the pampers, in fact I wrote to them to see if they wanted to import, they suggested I get a family memeber to ship over, they're not that good to do that, we'll make do with the Ozzies ones and hope they get better ones by the time we have a next bubba !!

Also the made up baby food has a very small selection compared to the UK, very small - never mind.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 10:54 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Monthly Bills

GBP AUD
Household
Rent £500.00 $1,220.00
Food £200.00 $488.00
Rates - General £35.00 $85.40
Rates - Water £36.00 $87.84
Electric £100.00 $244.00
Gas £100.00 $244.00
Telephone £100.00 $244.00

Vehicles
Bike Insurance £30.00 $73.20
Car Insurance £30.00 $73.20
Petrol £70.00 $170.80

Insurance
Medicare £100.00 $244.00
Contents Insurance £50.00 $122.00

Leisure

My rent on a 4x2 with Pool is $1820/month. Food bill is probably $1000-1200/month (inclding all groceries - family of four - two small kids). Your fuel bil is too high - you probably won't get gas (not much of it in Brisbane) but my total electric bill is around $150/month, maybe a little more. You should get your phone bill easily inside $100/month - run two mobiles for about the same again. Meidcare is free - I presume you mean health insurance - I don't have any so don't know the cost. My content's insurance costs about $40/month. Car insurance lloks about right, you need to add on Rego for about $700/year.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

Hi Mr Flibble,

If you rent I don't think you have to pay rates or water as I believe that these are the responsibility of the landlord, well at least they are for us. Anyway in an effort to dispel the rumours that all monthly bills are 100 GBP here in Brisbane here are the highlights of our monthly bills for the two of us and baby Z:

Rent for 3 Bed house ($300 Paid weekly): $1,300
Electricity (with infrequent use of AirCon): $60
Gas (don't have it): nil
Phone & Dial-up ISP: $120
Car Insurance & Rego (For 2.5L Subbie Forrester): $80
Food: $650
Petrol (Low car usage & no commuting): $75

Other things that you might want to factor in is the $20 per visit to the GP you don't get back from Medicare, this can quickly mount up if you are expecting a little one. Adding all the extra bits and bobs such our total monthly bill comes in at around $4000.

Cheers

Papa Z
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:29 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zentack
Hi Mr Flibble,

Adding all the extra bits and bobs such our total monthly bill comes in at around $4000.

Cheers

Papa Z

Adding all my bits and bobs, my total monthly bill is about $500 more than I earn...and always will be.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:34 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by jayr
.....my total monthly bill is about $500 more than I earn...and always will be.
You sound quite calm about that jayr :scared:

I'll have what you're drinking

Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

Adding all my bits and bobs, my total monthly bill is about $500 more than I earn...and always will be.
so how do you ever pay it then?

There are 2 of us and baby, our monthly bill is just over the $4k mark - these babys are expensive !! roll on no formula and nappies .....
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:38 pm
Karma Comedian

Originally Posted by vickymills
so how do you ever pay it then?

It's my legacy to the kids...
Old Apr 17th 2005, 11:44 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

It's my legacy to the kids...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.