Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newbie with lots of questions

Newbie with lots of questions

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

susiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the rough
Default Newbie with lots of questions

Him

Sorry if these have been asked before but I cant find where.

I a; trying to decide what is the best way for me and my young son who is toddler age to move to Oz. Like most people now that I have ;ade the decission I just want to move and start our new life.

Anyway sorry to ramble on. My question is where is the most child friendly area to go. Has the best schools etc. Im not going for the weather I live in france at the moment and the weather is wonderful here.

Any help/ideas very greatfully recieved

Susiq
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:51 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie with lots of questions

Originally Posted by susiq
Him

I a; trying to decide what is the best way for me and my young son who is toddler age to move to Oz. Like most people now that I have ;ade the decission I just want to move and start our new life.

Anyway sorry to ramble on. My question is where is the most child friendly area to go. Has the best schools etc. Im not going for the weather I live in france at the moment and the weather is wonderful here.

Susiq
I think you'll find that each area of Australia has it's good points and equally it's bad points. You need to do a little research on which area you fancy then come back with a few more specific questions.

Ps - welcome to the forum !!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 9:59 am
Mr Bond to you.

cadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond reputecadman1 has a reputation beyond repute

Him

Susiq
Friends of ours moved to Ocean reef, Perth a year ago. They say its a wonderful place for the outdoor family life..........they love it ! We are currently trying to move to USA but the more they tell us about Perth, the more we think about Australia...............its a big country. Good luck
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

susiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the idea of Perth. To be honest I dont know anywhere near as much as i need to but I just want a starting point of knowing the sort of area to look at.

I will start looking into Perth. Its a starting point for me. Thanks again
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:14 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the idea of Perth. To be honest I dont know anywhere near as much as i need to but I just want a starting point of knowing the sort of area to look at.

Question : how you going to get there- what type of visa?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:41 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Him

Susiq
Isnt that a tad OPEN ended as a question ??

Perhaps before contemplating a move to Oz, you should perhaps do some more research.
The problem I see with france is the french
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forum!

I would say the first question would be: what do you do work wise?
then, linked to that : how old is your child ? pre school child care in Oz is apparently hard to get and expensive.
You're a single parent ? If relevant you will need the other parent's permission to take their child out of the country.

Perth and Brisbane seem to be the most popular destinations right now, Tasmania sounds nice - unspoilt, rural, good place to raise kids but work availabilty may be difficult - in fact there a loads of small towns in OZ that would be great places to bring up your children but for me at least all the jobs for me are in the CBD of the major cities (CBD - central business district i.e. city centre)

Cadman
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadman
You're a single parent ? If relevant you will need the other parent's permission to take their child out of the country.
Depends on what parental rights the other parent has (if any) under home country law. If she's British and living in France it may be more complex.

Jeremy
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:19 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Susi,

We're going to be settling in or around Rockingham, about an hour south of Perth. We visited the area back in May and found it to be very family-orientated and welcoming. I'm looking forward to living there.

Depends what you are looking for, but if peace and quiet and friendliness count, then this might be an area to look at.

HTH.

Sue
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:25 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Really need to know how the op is planning to get there before deciding where to live. Cart and horse type stuff
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for all your replies.

I have a lot of research to do I know that and am loving doing it to be honest

I am a single parent. But as zas said it is a little more complex than you may think. I wont bore you with all the details. But his father has never even seen him so has no rights at all. I had him here in France so he isnt even english. My lads french. So he isnt an issue. thankfully

I am only just starting to think about visas. I sort of had a half hearted plan please understand this is just a silly idea and would probably never even work. go there for a 3 month working holiday. Make sure that I like living there having moved once to where I thought I would love I know just how eqsy it is to get it wrong. And I have ;y sons education to think about. Hes 2 at the moment. I do understand that childcare is expensive everywhere. I; not looking to move to make my fortune simply offer my son a healthier and happier lifestyle.

Anyway I have gone on. Sorry

Susi
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:44 pm
small steps long journey

. go there for a 3 month working holiday.
Susi
I dont think you can get a working holiday visa if you have child. I may be wrong but I think that is one of the rules.
Do you have a skill / qual that you could apply for a working visa with?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:48 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

You're absolutely right. From the Immigration website:

Currently, all Australian working holiday visa applications must be made overseas. Applicants need to be:

eligible passport holders
aged between 18 and 30, and
without dependent children.

http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/49whm.htm

To the OP: the immi.gov.au website is an invaluable resource. I'd start the visa research before anything else as it takes the longest to sort.

GG

Originally Posted by seang
I dont think you can get a working holiday visa if you have child. I may be wrong but I think that is one of the rules.
Do you have a skill / qual that you could apply for a working visa with?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:04 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all your replies.

I have a lot of research to do I know that and am loving doing it to be honest

I am a single parent. But as zas said it is a little more complex than you may think. I wont bore you with all the details. But his father has never even seen him so has no rights at all. I had him here in France so he isnt even english. My lads french. So he isnt an issue. thankfully

I am only just starting to think about visas. I sort of had a half hearted plan please understand this is just a silly idea and would probably never even work. go there for a 3 month working holiday. Make sure that I like living there having moved once to where I thought I would love I know just how eqsy it is to get it wrong. And I have ;y sons education to think about. Hes 2 at the moment. I do understand that childcare is expensive everywhere. I; not looking to move to make my fortune simply offer my son a healthier and happier lifestyle.

Anyway I have gone on. Sorry

Susi
If you dont mind me saying if you are considering moving then you need to get a residence (PR) visa ideally which means that you also need to have a skills assesment. Its not simply a case of deciding to move to Australia and getting on a flight and seeing how it goes. Most visa types have to be applied for offshore from Australia.

A lot of the heartache in these forums is about the stresses of obtaining a visa. Perhaps professional assistance from a migration agent would help? Alternatively there is a migration forum with no doubt others in your position.

There are loads of free assesments on the internet available to see if you would qualify. Australia is one of the tougher countries to migrate to as it has a points system. My apologies if you've already explored the visa system..
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Just wanted to say hello. Good luck with what you decide.