Newbie here

Old Oct 9th 2005, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Default Newbie here

Hi Everyone - I'll keep this as short as possible

I have been looking into emigrating to oz for quite a few months now. My parents are emigrating to Spain in the new year and even tho I've been asked to go along the idea of living in a country that doesn't speak English doesn't appeal to me

I don't want to stay in the area where I live because simply I have nothing to stay for so I've decided to move and start a fresh but then if I'm going to move I thought I might as well take the plunge and move to oz

Either way I wont be moving anywhere until I've finished uni in 18 months time and maybe longer if needed due to visa requirements (I've had a quick look but it all looks confusing)

My son will be around 12 when I finish uni so he'll be a little older when we go and I was just looking for some basic advise/tips to start me off about good areas, school issues I should be aware of, how long visa applications take etc like I've said I'm still in the research phase at the moment so I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 9th 2005, 12:59 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie here

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe

I have been looking into emigrating to oz for quite a few months now. My parents are emigrating to Spain in the new year and even tho I've been asked to go along the idea of living in a country that doesn't speak English doesn't appeal to me

I don't want to stay in the area where I live because simply I have nothing to stay for so I've decided to move and start a fresh but then if I'm going to move I thought I might as well take the plunge and move to oz

Either way I wont be moving anywhere until I've finished uni in 18 months time and maybe longer if needed due to visa requirements (I've had a quick look but it all looks confusing)

My son will be around 12 when I finish uni so he'll be a little older when we go and I was just looking for some basic advise/tips to start me off about good areas, school issues I should be aware of, how long visa applications take etc like I've said I'm still in the research phase at the moment so I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions

Thanks in advance
Hi Bublegum-babe and welcome to the madhouse

To answer your questions;
Good areas will depend where in Aus you want to live. We need more detail on this before we can help with this one
Visa applications and timescales depend on the type of visa and on your skills. We need more detail on this before we can help with this one too

Maybe a good place to start would be on the DIMIA website [key DIMIA in Google] and also the immigration forum on here.

Come back to us with more info and I'm sure there are some of us willing and able to help you with more info.

Cheers. Phoenix
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn&Jamie is on a distinguished road

Thanks in advance

hiya, i'm a newbie too, this looks like an amazing site, lots of great info!
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:10 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Miss Wrigley

Welcome to the site.

It's a bit difficult to answer general questions like you've asked. We need more information

I assume your uni course is for the skill that you hope to gain the visa with ? If so what is it ?
There are lots of visa types and all take different time periods to acquire.

There are good and bad areas all over Aus so it's not as simple as advising you to go to one place. Think about what you may like out of life and start narrowing down the options that way.
For example the weather. Do you want constant heat and sunshine or something with some variety and seasonality.
Do you want city life, suburban or rural ?
Give some thought to these things then the "good" areas and schooling advice comes later really.

Have a good read of the forum as it covers most things and will probably give you some pointers.

Good luck.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:13 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

OI Phoenix !

Bloody quick off the mark weren't you.
Trying to steal me thunder too
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:14 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Dawn&Jamie
Welcome to you too DJ
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
OI Phoenix !

Bloody quick off the mark weren't you.
Trying to steal me thunder too
ROFPMSL........

I read your thread I thought "huh ....echo round here or summat"

What's REALLY worryin is ...... both of us thinkin & sayin the same
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dawn&Jamie
Yes welcome D&J

Funny two newbies at same time hey
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

Hi

Location - warm climate (not too hot), near the beach, good schools, good nightlife, plenty of work in I.T a must, good shops, low crime rate oooppps this is going to be easy maybe I should stick a pin in a map

On a serious note I haven't thought too much into a certain location yet so any advise/warnings would be great, I've been researching oz on a whole

My current studies are in Computing (degree) so I think I'll be better off taking the skilled workers approach with the visa application - If my work placement and voluntary work in computing counts as experience I should be ok (but I dont think it does) if not I may have to delay for a while I gain the work experience needed for the visa

Hope this makes you a little clearer
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:25 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
What's REALLY worryin is ...... both of us thinkin & sayin the same
See......you're coming round to my way of thinking.
Twas only a matter of time.

You'll be getting a lioness avatar soon.
This one suits you
Attached Thumbnails Newbie here-lioness-yawning-leeuw4.jpeg  
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

MJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond reputeMJELNC has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the forum
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
See......you're coming round to my way of thinking.
Twas only a matter of time.

You'll be getting a lioness avatar soon.
This one suits you
You've got to be joking.

The day I think like you is the day they'll deport me back to uk

Anyways, I got in first so me finx it's the other way round. AND I said it in half as many words

This one suits you
Attached Images  
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

Hi

Location - warm climate (not too hot), near the beach, good schools, good nightlife, plenty of work in I.T a must, good shops, low crime rate oooppps this is going to be easy maybe I should stick a pin in a map

On a serious note I haven't thought too much into a certain location yet so any advise/warnings would be great, I've been researching oz on a whole

My current studies are in Computing (degree) so I think I'll be better off taking the skilled workers approach with the visa application - If my work placement and voluntary work in computing counts as experience I should be ok (but I dont think it does) if not I may have to delay for a while I gain the work experience needed for the visa

Hope this makes you a little clearer
Ok.....we'll start one at a time

Location: You say warm. Ummmmm this is Aus so most of it's warm. Do you mean warm and dry or warm and humid and do you want tropical or sub-tropical? Do you want North, South , East or West and do you want 4 seasons or two?

Near a beach; well most places are coastal so this should be easy once you give us the above.

Schools; again depends on the above.

Nightlife; again we can advise once we've narrowed down where you fancy living.

Work; Not sure where the best IT jobs are but Im sure someone on here can tell you

Experience for a 136 skilled Ind visa normally means a minimum of 20 hrs per week for between 4/6years depending on the job and level of experience [I think]. You may want to ask someone on the Immigration forum for more specific info re this.

Cheers
Phoenix
Old Oct 9th 2005, 1:50 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Ok.....we'll start one at a time

Location: You say warm. Ummmmm this is Aus so most of it's warm. Do you mean warm and dry or warm and humid and do you want tropical or sub-tropical? Do you want North, South , East or West and do you want 4 seasons or two?

Near a beach; well most places are coastal so this should be easy once you give us the above.

Schools; again depends on the above.

Nightlife; again we can advise once we've narrowed down where you fancy living.

Work; Not sure where the best IT jobs are but Im sure someone on here can tell you

Experience for a 136 skilled Ind visa normally means a minimum of 20 hrs per week for between 4/6years depending on the job and level of experience [I think]. You may want to ask someone on the Immigration forum for more specific info re this.

Cheers
Phoenix
There's a few IT experts on here that can give more specific advice but I think Sydney and Melbourne are the two hotspots.

All Aus will have really hot periods in summer but the farther South the "cooler" it will be generally.

The nearest you'll ger to UK for seasons is Melbourne......but plus a few degrees.

Sydney is a very expensive place.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hello, welcome and good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.