Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Years Eve in Brisbane

New Years Eve in Brisbane

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 5:30 am
ABCDiamond

Default New Years Eve in Brisbane

In case anyone is looking for hotel accomodation on Dec 31 in Brisbane city this year, I just found www.quickbeds.com
and got a room for only $109.00 + $4 booking fee.

I did try for the Conrad Treasury, but that was $826 for the night, so I declined.

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 7:42 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: New Years Eve in Brisbane

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
In case anyone is looking for hotel accomodation on Dec 31 in Brisbane city this year, I just found www.quickbeds.com
and got a room for only $109.00 + $4 booking fee.

I did try for the Conrad Treasury, but that was $826 for the night, so I declined.
Are you going up to Storey bridge for the fireworks?? I lived in a flat at the back of Storey bridge and went up to watch them New Year 2000, they were amazing and there is a great atmosphere there.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 8:24 am
ABCDiamond

We are planning on going to Southbank:

quote from www.ourbrisbane.com.au
"Don’t miss a night of sizzling hot fun and excitement at Brisbane’s largest New Years Eve celebration. Fantastic live bands will be positioned on stages throughout the parklands catering for a variety of ages and musical tastes. With two fireworks shows – at 9pm and midnight – we will ensure you see in the New Year with a bang!"

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

Might see you there then - we are off to the Southbank as well! I believe there are 2 sets of fireworks - 9pm and midnight. Not sure how I'm getting there yet though - maybe train?

Steve
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 11:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by cookies
Might see you there then - we are off to the Southbank as well! I believe there are 2 sets of fireworks - 9pm and midnight. Not sure how I'm getting there yet though - maybe train?
Steve
Hi Steve
I think train will be the easiest for you from Wynnum. And yes, 9pm and Midnight for the fireworks.

I'll be at Wynnum at Lunchtime tomorrow, have lunch there and then spend some time at the pool before Xmas Dinner in the evening back in Victoria Point.

Old Dec 23rd 2003, 11:44 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of points
  • SouthBank on New Years Eve is terrible, well if you dont mind being squashed & squeezed in with half a million other people then I guess its ok. MY opinion only, Ive been twice before, I wouldnt go now, especially not with kids.
  • If you are taking the kids, watch them like a HAWK, its very easy to lose them
  • Be prepared for large groups of drunken teenagers & youngsters, not always the most pleasant experience
  • Train will be by far the easiest way to get there & home, they will have lots of services running up until about 1 or 2am, check the timetable
  • Steve, Wynnum is east of Brisbane, not south
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

I'll be at Wynnum at Lunchtime tomorrow, have lunch there and then spend some time at the pool before Xmas Dinner in the evening back in Victoria Point.
So will we be at the Wynnum pool some time tomorrow!

Steve
Old Dec 24th 2003, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
A couple of points
  • SouthBank on New Years Eve is terrible, well if you dont mind being squashed & squeezed in with half a million other people then I guess its ok. MY opinion only, Ive been twice before, I wouldnt go now, especially not with kids.
  • If you are taking the kids, watch them like a HAWK, its very easy to lose them

Thanks for the advise - we may need to re-think this. If we do go we will only watch the 9pm show
  • Steve, Wynnum is east of Brisbane, not south

Ok - very observant of you Mrs D I will update my profile!
Old Dec 24th 2003, 1:44 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i was fairly disappointed by last years new year in brisvegas, so this year i'm getting away to new york. i don't expect it to be much better tho!
Old Dec 24th 2003, 2:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
  • Be prepared for large groups of drunken teenagers & youngsters, not always the most pleasant experience
  • Train will be by far the easiest way to get there & home, they will have lots of services running up until about 1 or 2am, check the timetable
Thanks for the advise, i'll consider other options in Brisbane, and maybe watch the fireworks from Victoria Bridge. We decided on a hotel up there to avoid the crowds going home.

Old Dec 24th 2003, 10:36 am
ABCDiamond

So will we be at the Wynnum pool some time tomorrow!

Steve
I'll be the one wearing an AMD cap, unless my daughter nicks it of me again.

Old Dec 24th 2003, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Will look for the cap - what time are you going to get there?

Regards

Steve
Old Dec 24th 2003, 11:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi

Will look for the cap - what time are you going to get there?

Regards

Steve
Not sure yet, but aiming for lunchtime 12.00 / 1.00

Old Dec 24th 2003, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

We will be down there around 3pm - may see you there if you are still there?

Regards

Steve
Old Dec 24th 2003, 11:31 pm
ABCDiamond

We will be down there around 3pm - may see you there if you are still there?

Regards

Steve
OK, but we would be probably just about leaving at about that time. Hope to see you if poss.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.