Wikiposts

New Visa Regulations

Old Jul 7th 2003, 8:25 am
rwb
Just Joined

rwb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Visa Regulations

Hi Everyone,

I have a small question. I allready have a job offer and will be applying for a work visa next week. Under the new regulations will I still be able to apply for a Work To Residency permit once I have obtained my Work Visa ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Robert
Old Jul 7th 2003, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, you will. Presumably your job is on the priority occupations list (POL)? Remember that under work to residence, you get a work permit first, then residence after 2 years.

If I were you, I'd apply under the Interim General Skills category Now instead of work to res - you'll have to pass the points test (29pts) however with a job offer this would be a walk in the park, and submit police certs & medicals. You would get permanent residence pretty much straight away (within 3-4 months max) rather than having to wait 2 years under work to res and be at the whim of any future changes NZIS will make.

I say will, because in the past 8 months alone, NZIS have: increased IELTS passmark to 6.5, made qualifications compulsory for JSV (Nov 02 changes), totally abolished gen skills category, totally abolished JSV's, said they will 'lapse' (ie BIN) any apps in the system that did not have a job offer/28+ pts/JSV already issed prior to Nov 02, made a job offer compulsory for all apps lodged after 2/7/03 & have said they are introducing a 'skilled migrant category' with a pooling system whereby applicants that don't meet the pool passmark get declined after 3 months later this year.

With the track record NZIS has, it is a fair bet to say they will stuff something up and be forced to make even More major changes within a year.

So do you Still want the uncertainty of being in NZ an a work permit, or the certainty of having Permanent Residence from day one??

All the best,

Russ
Old Jul 8th 2003, 7:15 am
rwb
Just Joined

rwb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Russ,

Thanks for that. I wasn't quite sure about the issue and wanted to clarify a few things.

As my future employer is keen on getting me over asap, I will first apply for a Work Visa and at the same time apply for the residency permit. My future employer is paying for the work visa so I don't need to worry about that. The only real issue I have is translating my qualifactions for NZIS as these are'nt listed. But I will do that straight away and aply for the 10 day max certification. That way everything is in order and I can apply for the the PR.

Thanks again for your help.

Robert