Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New or used car?

New or used car?

Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:01 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: New or used car?

Originally posted by Slater
Thanks again, I have saved the links, I note that they expect you to have an Aussie drivers license as ID. before you can bid, I expect that there are ways round this.
Yes we are going to the Brisbane/ Gold coast area area. Can you tell me if there are also furniture auctions there as we are not taking much stuff with us.

Many thanks

Slater
Regarding the Aussie licence - nope. Both myself and hubby are very "nasty" people (I'm just joking!), We have been driving on a Brit licence for the past 6 years.... yes I know we shouldn't be, but neither of us have got round to getting the QLD one. To bid we have used our Brit licence numbers, and one time in the past I have used an over 18 card.

We've bought three cars in the past from Auctions, plus have bid on numerous others vehicles (bid but didn't win) (one was mine, another a company vehicle, and one for a friend) - there has never been a prob bidding with a Brit licence. Not everybody has a Aus licence - why I haven't got one is because when I first came here I was on a Business visa -, I went to the QLD transport to get a licence and was told I could not have one because I was not PR or a citizen. So I got an over 18 card instead .. just to make life a bit easier for identification issues (they will issue over 18 cards to anybody) . Anyway I've been PR for just a little over two years and I just haven't got round to getting my licence that's all. But no there is no prob at these auctions in Brisbane (can't speak for the rest of Aus) using a Brit licence - that's what we use..

Regarding furniture - Yes there are plenty of auctions for this - again these are on a weekday, Tuesdays and Wednesdays mostly, old furniture and some autions are bankrupt stock etc. I've never been to one so I couldn't tell you if they are any good. There are also Police goods seized auctions (one I went to was in the evening - total rubbish! I bought a portable TV, got it home and it didn't work - these police are rip off merchants!! - should be locked up!) . Again these are advertised in the Saturday courier Mail - back page of the business pull out section.

Cheers
Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Ceri
Regarding the Aussie licence - nope. Both myself and hubby are very "nasty" people (I'm just joking!), We have been driving on a Brit licence for the past 6 years.... yes I know we shouldn't be, but neither of us have got round to getting the QLD one. To bid we have used our Brit licence numbers, and one time in the past I have used an over 18 card.
I think your taking a big risk here. As you are driveing in Australia illegally if you have an accident in your vehicle, your insurance company could turn round and say your insurance cover is invalid, if they find out about your not having a QLD licence.

You know how friendly insurance companes are and how keen and generous they are with paying out claims, not saying they would but wouldn't trust mine if they found out.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 2:10 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by annie b
Just wondering if anyone has any advice re:car purchase?

New cars seem relatively cheap and second hand seem to hold their value well.

We are looking at a budget of $10,000-$15,000 for something that will comfortably hold our family of four.
Having just lost 50% on my new cars value in 4 years , I would say buy secondhand and buy Honda which here keep their value and are a fine motor .
You will spend little on this brand of car because little goes wrong unlike a Falcon ( cylinder heads are shite ) or Cradadore ( just shite).
The parts for Australian made cars are cheaper thanks to the turn over , the garages make a bomb out the local produced rubbish.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 30th 2003 at 2:21 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

I know this is going off the subject a little but I've recently been on www.autotrader.co.uk to check out prices of vehicles back in UK and the prices of cars are SO LOW !!! The UK car market has hit real lows, you can get a good car for well under £5,000 - good for those returning - go PB!
Old Jul 30th 2003, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kath
I know this is going off the subject a little but I've recently been on www.autotrader.co.uk to check out prices of vehicles back in UK and the prices of cars are SO LOW !!! The UK car market has hit real lows, you can get a good car for well under £5,000 - good for those returning - go PB!
Funny you should mention that - hubbie was on the Autotrader site a couple of nights ago, and found that our Toyota Tarago (import) which we paid $20,000 for (1992 model!) over here can be bought for a mere £3,995!!! (That`s from the car import place in Southampton)
Old Jul 30th 2003, 2:24 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kath
My son has bought me a Turbo Diesel Mondeo 1998 for 1800 quid as a work car , secondhand cars here are pricy compared to the Uk and the stamp duty really pees me off.

Old Jul 30th 2003, 8:39 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri

We've bought three cars in the past from Auctions, plus have bid on numerous others vehicles (bid but didn't win) (one was mine, another a company vehicle, and one for a friend) - there has never been a prob bidding with a Brit licence. Not everybody has a Aus licence - why I haven't got one is because when I first came here I was on a Business visa -, I went to the QLD transport to get a licence and was told I could not have one because I was not PR or a citizen. So I got an over 18 card instead .. just to make life a bit easier for identification issues (they will issue over 18 cards to anybody) . Anyway I've been PR for just a little over two years and I just haven't got round to getting my licence that's all. But no there is no prob at these auctions in Brisbane (can't speak for the rest of Aus) using a Brit licence - that's what we use..

Regarding furniture - Yes there are plenty of auctions for this - again these are on a weekday, Tuesdays and Wednesdays mostly, old furniture and some autions are bankrupt stock etc. I've never been to one so I couldn't tell you if they are any good. There are also Police goods seized auctions (one I went to was in the evening - total rubbish! I bought a portable TV, got it home and it didn't work - these police are rip off merchants!! - should be locked up!) . Again these are advertised in the Saturday courier Mail - back page of the business pull out section.

Cheers
Oh no a nasty person ripped ,off by other nasty people............. MM
Old Jul 30th 2003, 8:49 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
My son has bought me a Turbo Diesel Mondeo 1998 for 1800 quid as a work car , secondhand cars here are pricy compared to the Uk and the stamp duty really pees me off.

And you reckon Commodores are crap ........a mondeo, har ,har , har, ...diesel, har, har ............owned by a F1 fan....har,har god you need to go back to Blairyland real quick.............. MM
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:18 pm
Badge

good post Joleyn

I would not get a BA Falcon saloon they look crap!!! get a mid-late 90s model. the EB/EF? the round edges have wrecked what was an otherwise handsome car. If you get the wagon you wont really notice.

some people complain that the newer falcons eg. 98 onwards etc have too steeply raked windscreens

badge

Old Jul 30th 2003, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Anyone got any thoughts on Mitsubishi Challengers.

Seem to stack up reasonably well on paper and met a couple of Aussies who had them and rated them pretty highly.

Agree with everyone else on Falcons. Had one on last trip to QLD. When I got back into my 4 year old Volvo, it felt like I was getting into a new car!

Before you all take the p*ss, I wasn't always a Volvo driver, I can take it or leave it, it's not like I'm addicted (gibber, gibber).
Old Jul 30th 2003, 10:32 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Nibbs
Anyone got any thoughts on Mitsubishi Challengers.

Seem to stack up reasonably well on paper and met a couple of Aussies who had them and rated them pretty highly.

Agree with everyone else on Falcons. Had one on last trip to QLD. When I got back into my 4 year old Volvo, it felt like I was getting into a new car!

Before you all take the p*ss, I wasn't always a Volvo driver, I can take it or leave it, it's not like I'm addicted (gibber, gibber).
Do you wear funny hats,?.......... MM
Old Jul 30th 2003, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by mr mover
Do you wear funny hats,?.......... MM

How d'ya know old chap.

I also have string backed gloves and a stuffed labrador in the back. Now moving onto the lingerie department..........
Old Jul 30th 2003, 11:11 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
I think your taking a big risk here. As you are driveing in Australia illegally if you have an accident in your vehicle, your insurance company could turn round and say your insurance cover is invalid, if they find out about your not having a QLD licence.

You know how friendly insurance companes are and how keen and generous they are with paying out claims, not saying they would but wouldn't trust mine if they found out.
Yeah - what he said
Cheers,
DagBoy
Old Jul 30th 2003, 11:12 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Of course - I am still driving around on my crappy little bit of pink paper - but I am doing so legally
Old Jul 30th 2003, 11:27 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Nibbs
How d'ya know old chap.

I also have string backed gloves and a stuffed labrador in the back. Now moving onto the lingerie department..........
LIngerie , now yer talking............ MM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.