Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New South Wales or Queensland?

New South Wales or Queensland?

Old May 25th 2010, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice
Default New South Wales or Queensland?

Hi

We (me, my husband and 2 year old daughter) have wanted to move to Australia for a number of years and in January spent 3 weeks in Perth for a reccie (my sister lives in Perth). As much as we enjoyed our time in Perth we realised that Perth just wasn't for us mainly just due to the isolation.

We are now looking at New South Wales or Queensland but do not know as much about these States. Has anyone lived in both states and can give me pro's and con's?

My husband is an electrician so we would need to be somewhere where he would be able to find work. We do like going to the beach with our daughter so the hills will not be for us and I'd like to be somewhere with a community feel.

Any information much appreciated.

Any info much appreciated

Thanks
Old May 25th 2010, 9:57 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New South Wales or Queensland?

It'll be close but QLD by a try.
Old May 25th 2010, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

For climate I'd suggest either SE Qld or the northern rivers area of NSW.
Old May 25th 2010, 10:31 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
18 16 to Qld
Old May 25th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

QUEEEEEEEENSLAND

We have lived in both - I spent 5 years north west of Sydney and loved it there. We had a good life and a happy life.

I've been in Queensland for 2 years now and somehow it's better! I don't really know why. I think the slower pace of things, the proximity of the water (couldn't afford to live in the sort of house I am in here close to the water in Sydney), the fact that the kids have settled SO well into school, just make it right for us.

I reckon if we were to try and move again there would be protests from the kids!!! After 5 years in Sydney though, they were happy to move on.

Good luck with your choice

Love

Rudi
x
Old May 25th 2010, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in both and at the moment New South Wales - as there is so much more to do for us as a family - we are not to far from Sydney and the Hunter valley (vineyards) and then there is Newcastle which i love! also Port Stephens so the area is so vast of things you can do.

We lived in Mackay, Queensland and once we had looked at everything around that area (Airlie beach/ great barrier reef/islands, its not something we could afford to do all the time) it got abit boring! plus there is not much history (Mackay) which i have missed so much since leaving England.

Weather wise (qld) i didn’t mind the heat (humid) could do with some here (nsw)as its pretty cold but it is winter! it even hailed stoned the other day and i have not seen that in 4 years ! the people are so much more friendly (nsw)and i have not come across many English/south Africans as much as i did in Mackay (i also don’t have to repeat myself as much since being here nsw)
If you can have a look at both states but then we didnt we just arrived it was more exciting, Good Luck

Last edited by LINZI; May 25th 2010 at 11:23 pm. Reason: i was wrong
Old May 25th 2010, 11:12 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LINDZI
I have lived in both and at the moment New South Wales - as there is so much more to do for us as a family - we are not to far from Sydney and the Hunter valley (vineyards) and then there is Newcastle which i love! also Port Stephens so the area is so vast of things you can do.

We lived in Mackay, Queensland and once we had looked at everything around that area (Airlie beach/ great barrier reef/islands, its not something we could afford to do all the time) it got abit boring! plus there is not much history (Queensland) which i have missed so much since leaving England.

Weather wise (qld) i didn’t mind the heat (humid) could do with some here (nsw)as its pretty cold but it is winter! it even hailed stoned the other day and i have not seen that in 4 years ! the people are so much more friendly (nsw)and i have not come across many English/south Africans as much as i did in Mackay (i also don’t have to repeat myself as much since being here nsw)
If you can have a look at both states but then we didnt we just arrived it was more exciting, Good Luck
A bit of an unfair comparison between NSW and QLD though, don't you think? You are saying that QLD is boring because where you lived was right up North far away from its capital and comparing it to a place in NSW that is close to its capital. Maybe if your experiences were in South East QLD it would be a fairer comparison.

As for history (civilised anyway)....that is debatable. Aus really does not offer much anyway and I think it is much of muchness between any of the states. You could argue that colonial history goes back further in QLD than it does in NSW.
Old May 25th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
A bit of an unfair comparison between NSW and QLD though, don't you think? You are saying that QLD is boring because where you lived was right up North far away from its capital and comparing it to a place in NSW that is close to its capital. Maybe if your experiences were in South East QLD it would be a fairer comparison.

As for history (civilised anyway)....that is debatable. Aus really does not offer much anyway and I think it is much of muchness between any of the states. You could argue that colonial history goes back further in QLD than it does in NSW.
Maybe it is but it is hard to comment on such a big area on Queensland/New South Wales i can only go on Mackay Queensland and where i live now to compare and at the end of the day everyone wants different things. Also i only said Mackay was boring,I will change on what i said about Queensland not having much history as it was only Mackay that did not have much history on what i saw while living there.
Sorry

Last edited by LINZI; May 25th 2010 at 11:26 pm.
Old May 25th 2010, 11:31 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LINDZI
Maybe it is but it is hard to comment on such a big area on Queensland/New South Wales i can only go on Mackay Queensland and where i live now to compare and at the end of the day everyone wants different things. Also i only said Mackay was boring,I will change on what i said about Queensland not having much history as it was only Mackay that did not have much history on what i saw while living there.
Sorry
No need to apologise. I wasn't upset. At the end of the day what difference is there between Sth East QLD and NSW above Coffs Harbour? I don't really buy into the whole which is better argument as a broad scale question. If there are specific criteria involved then I think an argument can be made.
Old May 25th 2010, 11:38 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

You could probably find somewhere you like living in either state, l don't think one is better then the other. Each state has nice areas to live and dreadful areas, what matters more what part of the state or area you live in not so much which state you live in.

Last edited by mohogony; May 25th 2010 at 11:42 pm.
Old May 25th 2010, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes i agree totally and its hard to answer a question between the two states as they both offer so much and its all down to the individual and what they would want.
Old May 25th 2010, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy
Hi

We (me, my husband and 2 year old daughter) have wanted to move to Australia for a number of years and in January spent 3 weeks in Perth for a reccie (my sister lives in Perth). As much as we enjoyed our time in Perth we realised that Perth just wasn't for us mainly just due to the isolation.

We are now looking at New South Wales or Queensland but do not know as much about these States. Has anyone lived in both states and can give me pro's and con's?

My husband is an electrician so we would need to be somewhere where he would be able to find work. We do like going to the beach with our daughter so the hills will not be for us and I'd like to be somewhere with a community feel.

Any information much appreciated.

Any info much appreciated

Thanks
House-hunted in both, my advice would be to research 'areas' in both that you like the sound of of, find out as much about the areas you are interested in from all aspects, work/social/things to do/house prices etc as you can - then visit. We pretty much researched our areas inside out and visited.......ended up liking most of them enough to live in; you know what your families needs are - so reseach and then visit - good luck with wherever you decide
Old May 26th 2010, 12:06 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I thank y'all ... Queenslander!
Old May 26th 2010, 12:18 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

What a cracking start to this years campaign
Old May 26th 2010, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

I'll av a piece of that thanks lads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.