Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Passport- Old visa

New Passport- Old visa

Old May 4th 2004, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice
Default New Passport- Old visa

We have visas to work n live in Aus (validated last easter), we're going to Sydney in June -But the kids passports ran out with the visas in....so I got new passports - I was just gonna turn up at Austrailia House to get the visas put in the new passports
BUT I read somewhere you cant just turn up
I have looked at Peters FAQ and cant find a form etc - is this a simple visit or do I have to send them
Any suggestions?
many thanks
Old May 4th 2004, 8:44 am
rudo1ph

Don't quote me......but I think you just travel on the new passports and take the old ones along with the visas in - I don't think they give you a new visa in a new passport.

Old May 4th 2004, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

little bit risky tho if we are meant to get new visas?.....Shame to get turned back (tho adds to the whole unpredictability that this whole episode is turning out to be)
Old May 4th 2004, 9:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rosie n family
little bit risky tho if we are meant to get new visas?.....Shame to get turned back (tho adds to the whole unpredictability that this whole episode is turning out to be)
JAJ just posted something on this and if the checkin staff have a problem request a supervisor and insist they call DIMIA if they still have an issue. DIMIA will have no issue with your visa being on an expired passport as long as you have a valid passport.
Old May 4th 2004, 9:21 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is a very recent thread on the issue.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=228081
Old May 4th 2004, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Thanks. I will arm myself with print-outs of these threads if any difficulty arises - I just dont want the hassle of explaining at check-in and the associated bother of carrying 8 passports, for the next few years!

Is there a way I can get the valid visa in the new passports?
Old May 4th 2004, 11:30 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Make an appointment with DIMIA nearest to where you're at in Australia and get it.

It'll make to-ing and fro-ing a lot easier.
Old May 4th 2004, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Im in the UK now- we travel to Oz on the 25 June and I wanted to know if the London branch would issue it to me if I just turned up or do they insist on forms being filled and sent by recorded delivery - I would rather have the visa on the new passport than go thro the explanation hassle..........But how do I get it? Any ideas thanks
Old May 4th 2004, 11:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you write to the Australian High Commission in London and ask them if they can re-evidence the visa.

They should be able to give you handwritten visa labels instead (rather than printed), but I'm not sure if that's not asking for other hassles at check-in.

The other option is to *write* to your airline and ask for an assurance that you will not face problems at check in with a valid visa in an old passport.
This is not something on which you should rely on verbal assurances.

The problem people have had with visas in old passports, is that there's no visa detail in the system matching the new passport. When this happened to me (before I became an Australian citizen) it was not a problem, other than a short delay - a supervisor checked the visa details and then manually overrode the airline's system to allow me to board.
They might have called DIMIA in Canberra, but I doubt it.

A relevant section of Australian law is s229(5) of the Migration Act 1958:
http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pas...0/PA003820.htm

-----
(5)
It is a defence to a prosecution for an offence against subsection (1) in relation to the bringing of a non-citizen into Australia on a vessel if it is established:

(a) that the non-citizen was, when he or she boarded or last boarded the vessel for travel to Australia, in possession of evidence of a visa that was in effect and that permitted him or her to travel to and enter Australia, being a visa that:

(i) did not appear to have been cancelled; and

(ii) was expressed to continue in effect until, or at least until, the date of the non-citizen's expected entry into Australia

------

Jeremy

Is there a way I can get the valid visa in the new passports?
Old May 4th 2004, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

scitta is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rosy & family,

We validated our visas last October and plan to make the final move to Oz early next year, and my passport too will expire around the same time.
However just a while ago I spoke to a kind lady at the Oz Embassy/Consulate in my country, and she confirmed that as long as you carry your old passport alongwith the new one,and you residence visa is still valid, it's okay.

So guess it should be the same all over, or why don't you give a tinkle to the Oz Embassy/Consulate at your end and reconfirm it just for your peace of mind.

All the best with your move.
Sarah
Old May 4th 2004, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks - I thought it would be a simple query and couldn't find any related forms, I'm having a bit of a panicky bout as its all getting quite near - I will call them tho just to be sure - the last thing we need is doubts on getting in!
Old May 5th 2004, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

For anyone interested This is the (prompt) reply from the Australian High Commission

'You are able to travel to Australia with both of the passports. That is -
the valid passport, along with the expired passport with the valid visa in
it.'

Rosie
Old May 5th 2004, 10:26 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Default Variation on the theme

Our application is in on the 136 class along with all the others before the recent deadline.
My Daughters pastport will expire whilst DIMIA are dealing with our application so i am will be going to get a new one for her so when would be the best time to send this on to DIMIA once requested or send a validated copy as soon as ?
Old May 5th 2004, 11:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you keep a copy of the email to show to check-in staff if they start making a fuss.

Jeremy

For anyone interested This is the (prompt) reply from the Australian High Commission

'You are able to travel to Australia with both of the passports. That is -
the valid passport, along with the expired passport with the valid visa in
it.'

Rosie
Old May 5th 2004, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Yes I will BUT I have since asked him if I could have the old visas put in the new passport and he said

...........If you are travelling with
Resident Return Visa's you can apply to have this re-evidenced. There is a
fee involved.

For all other visa's, send your passports to us (we recommend via special
delivery) with an accompanying letter asking for the visa's to be
re-evidenced. The address to send the passports is below. No fee is
involved.

So I think thats what we'll do! Any Idea of turnaround times?