Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A New Life Down Under

A New Life Down Under

Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of
Default A New Life Down Under

Has anyone been watching this show on Sky? I've only seen 3 episodes, but I get the impression its an Australian show where they take a laugh at the dumbest poms they can. Each episode has a family that appear to have done no research or preparation (and who's lives are virtually in tatters anyway) and have everything go wrong for them in Aus.

Maybe I've not seen enough episodes, but surely some people must arrive in Australia, settle and have a great life or should I take my rose coloured glasses off before we head out?

Maybe it's Australia's way of trying to keep immigration down?!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A New Life Down Under

Originally Posted by ScottDavis
Has anyone been watching this show on Sky? I've only seen 3 episodes, but I get the impression its an Australian show where they take a laugh at the dumbest poms they can. Each episode has a family that appear to have done no research or preparation (and who's lives are virtually in tatters anyway) and have everything go wrong for them in Aus.

Maybe I've not seen enough episodes, but surely some people must arrive in Australia, settle and have a great life or should I take my rose coloured glasses off before we head out?

Wouldn't be good viewing, if everything went to plan.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:17 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of threads about this show if you search back. The general consensus of opinion was that, whilst some of the expats came across like arseholes, imagine how you'd turn out if a camera crew followed you around for six months and cherry-picked the most viewable moments!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:18 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

We landed to a great life. Everything I find is about your point of view and attitude. If yours is through rose tinted glasses then great! Seeing the up side in everything is not as bad as some would make out

And yes, the people on those programs are a little er...interesting!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Haven't seen this but have heard about it. Would like to see it if not just to look at the scenery!
What channel/day/time is this on?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:24 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

You are a couple of years late with this post
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

ScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud ofScottDavis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Haven't seen this but have heard about it. Would like to see it if not just to look at the scenery!
What channel/day/time is this on?
It appears to be on most days on Discovery Travel& Leisure. Is on again now I think...
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulf
You are a couple of years late with this post
Sorry I searched but couldn't find anything on it.
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Its like any other programme, they have to get the viewers.
Ignore it, we live 2 hours south of Perth, we love it, and our life is great, most of the time, of course we have ups and downs, just like we would in any other country. We have a big family, so there will always be stress, they are growing up, we would have it wherever we live. Dont let it put you off.
Denise
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

It appears to be on most days on Discovery Travel& Leisure. Is on again now I think...
Cheers Scott, just had a look, it's on at 1.30pm
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:40 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

I've watched it loads of times, compulsive viewing!

Here's my opinion......

The Skeggs - Mandy the midwife and Mick the builder. None of them ever lived outside Hertfordshire before. She qualified as a midwife and got offered a job in Perth, they had loads of debts to clear so they sold their house and off they went......

The Russels - Rachel the fitness instructor and Michael her pompous businessman boyfriend and her somewhat rather annoying to children! Went out on a business visa to the Gold Coast. She would have been better going on her own cos all he did was get on her and her kids nerves.....

The Elliots - Zena the hairdresser and hubby (can't remember his name) and daughter went to Sydney. Zena didn't like all things Oz. Hubby and daughter loved it.

The Vorsters - Dad and 2 kids went out to Perth after his wife had died. Really nice family...

The family from Blackpool (Mum Lorraine and her 2 kids) alcoholic hubby didn't turn up the night before they flew to the Gold Coast, so she went on her own..... by far my favourite family- nothing seemed to phase that woman!

The Welsh family - went to Melbourne....hubby and wife all loved up as they got married in Oz before.

The weird family from Lincolnshire that went to Tazmania.....they were hilarious, especially the dad who managed to escape working in the shop for most of the time to go fishing with his mate!

You can tell I was addicted cant ya?

Jackie x
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:37 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
I've watched it loads of times, compulsive viewing!

Here's my opinion......

The Skeggs - Mandy the midwife and Mick the builder. None of them ever lived outside Hertfordshire before. She qualified as a midwife and got offered a job in Perth, they had loads of debts to clear so they sold their house and off they went......

The Russels - Rachel the fitness instructor and Michael her pompous businessman boyfriend and her somewhat rather annoying to children! Went out on a business visa to the Gold Coast. She would have been better going on her own cos all he did was get on her and her kids nerves.....

The Elliots - Zena the hairdresser and hubby (can't remember his name) and daughter went to Sydney. Zena didn't like all things Oz. Hubby and daughter loved it.

The Vorsters - Dad and 2 kids went out to Perth after his wife had died. Really nice family...

The family from Blackpool (Mum Lorraine and her 2 kids) alcoholic hubby didn't turn up the night before they flew to the Gold Coast, so she went on her own..... by far my favourite family- nothing seemed to phase that woman!

The Welsh family - went to Melbourne....hubby and wife all loved up as they got married in Oz before.

The weird family from Lincolnshire that went to Tazmania.....they were hilarious, especially the dad who managed to escape working in the shop for most of the time to go fishing with his mate!

You can tell I was addicted cant ya?

Jackie x

ave never seen it but wish i had it sounds good, i heard people at work talking about the time mandy had a bbq, invited new friends over and both her and her hubby got pisst, it then said 'Mandy has never had another bbq'
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:41 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
ave never seen it but wish i had it sounds good, i heard people at work talking about the time mandy had a bbq, invited new friends over and both her and her hubby got pisst, it then said 'Mandy has never had another bbq'
yeah they seemed to be billy no mates for ages....can't think why!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:43 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
yeah they seemed to be billy no mates for ages....can't think why!

I thought they sounded hilarious, i'd bbq with them , but as i said i haven't seen it
Old Mar 4th 2006, 1:44 pm
Living the Dream!

Originally Posted by Margaret2
I thought they sounded hilarious, i'd bbq with them , but as i said i haven't seen it
me too, she always had plenty of wine in!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.