Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

a new life down under

a new life down under

Old Jan 23rd 2006, 7:47 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a new life down under

Originally Posted by robos
the winging ones were the skeggs werent they?

jan xx

Think she was a midwife, wasnt she?
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robos
the winging ones were the skeggs werent they?

jan xx
I have absolutely no idea what their names were, but I recall something about not being able to buy a decent (?) pair of knickers (presumably the ones that she wears now are indecent) and really missing Marks and Sparks and Tesco.

Personally I miss those places like a hole in the head.

Well if it’s that bad…….I suppose they could always move back richer for the experience of decent knickers and a couple of high street shops.

I know I should not say this but………….I am wetting myself with laughter at the banality of it all.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:20 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: a new life down under

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
I have absolutely no idea what their names were, but I recall something about not being able to buy a decent (?) pair of knickers (presumably the ones that she wears now are indecent) and really missing Marks and Sparks and Tesco.

Well if it’s that bad…….I suppose they could always move back richer for the experience of decent knickers and a couple of high street shops.

I know I should not say this but………….I am wetting myself with laughter at the banality of it all.
In her own words:

Originally Posted by Mandy Skeggs
But, you see, the thing is that probably a lot of other people say those sort of statements but they're not stupid enough to say them in front of millions of people.
Click here for the full transcript. I had a right old laugh.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jan 23rd 2006 at 9:24 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
In her own words:

Hmmmm……….yes thanks for that Vash the Stampede (cool name by the way)

I stand by one of my original comments about different planets, isn’t it strange how a conversation when put into a transcript leaves the narrator at the complete mercy of the person reading the missive allowing the reader to decipher the messages in their own sweet way!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

In her own words:

PMSL

I'd send you K, but I'm firing blanks
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:33 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Yes to materialistic then No to class system
You DO have to be joking, do you not?

I haven't seen a society on the planet that doesn't have some form of class system, whether it's based on pedigree, occupation or just plain old cash. The difference in some places is that it's kept hidden under the carpet - but it's there all right!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:44 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm……….yes thanks for that Vash the Stampede (cool name by the way)

I stand by one of my original comments about different planets, isn’t it strange how a conversation when put into a transcript leaves the narrator at the complete mercy of the person reading the missive allowing the reader to decipher the messages in their own sweet way!
No worries mate; my pleasure.

If you read it carefully, I think you'll find that the interviewer is ever-so-subtly taking the mick out of Ms Skeggs. Just look at the way she constructs her questions and responses; most of them are double-ended, and could be taken in two completely different ways!

Read in one direction, it sounds as if the interviewer is entirely sympathetic; read the other way, it seems obvious that she's thinking "You great Pommie plonker; I can't believe I'm being paid to help you make a complete idiot of yourself on national TV - again!"
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by WendyC
PMSL

I'd send you K, but I'm firing blanks
Not to worry; the thought was there.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:46 pm
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: a new life down under

Originally Posted by Wol
You DO have to be joking, do you not?

I haven't seen a society on the planet that doesn't have some form of class system, whether it's based on pedigree, occupation or just plain old cash. The difference in some places is that it's kept hidden under the carpet - but it's there all right!
If it's based on cash, it's no longer a class system; it's just good old fashioned "rich people/reasonably well-off people/battlers."

The entire concept of "class" is based entirely upon pedigree and privilege. Remove those two factors and you no longer have a true class system.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 9:54 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

I woudn't care....M&S Knickers are a load of Cr*p!
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 10:03 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

If it's based on cash, it's no longer a class system; it's just good old fashioned "rich people/reasonably well-off people/battlers."

The entire concept of "class" is based entirely upon pedigree and privilege. Remove those two factors and you no longer have a true class system.
I take the point but I think it's splitting hairs. The good ol' US of A for example likes to think of itself as classless but is just based in the most part by how many billions you have in your checking account. The fact that if you lose the lot no-one in your social circle will talk to you any more doesn't IMO alter the definition of "class system". It's just different.
Old Jan 23rd 2006, 11:23 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I take the point but I think it's splitting hairs. The good ol' US of A for example likes to think of itself as classless but is just based in the most part by how many billions you have in your checking account. The fact that if you lose the lot no-one in your social circle will talk to you any more doesn't IMO alter the definition of "class system". It's just different.
I guess there is a class system, it's just based on cash and influence not the way you speak or what your father does. It's nothing like the British one though.