Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A new life down under

A new life down under

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought he had a great attitude towards the venture and tried hard but not much sense, got the feeling she was quite good at spending his dollars but thats prob. unfair as its based on nothing!
I thought what they showed of Sydney looked great but then again I loved Sydney anyway. I hope it happens for them back here, I love optimistic people with a bit of oomph, even if a bit misguided.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:46 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

One point from this series, did any of them go as skilled independent?. Seems to me that they have all been on business or spouse visas.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:48 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Amazulu
One point from this series, did any of them go as skilled independent?. Seems to me that they have all been on business or spouse visas.
i think the chippy went skilled route mite be wrong
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

dazandreb has a spectacular aura aboutdazandreb has a spectacular aura aboutdazandreb has a spectacular aura about

I think tonights program was simply to show people its not all about just getting a bussiness visa just to get out there,all the other programs have shown that it looks easy to set up a small company and they all seemed to work, he should have started his bussiness in the uk let it grow there, then when he has a better knowledge of how to run a shop and more money behind him then to go out, and he should have started small like the house party thing that was doing much better than his shop.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 8:54 pm
earlswood

Considering he went over twice before on fact finding visits,
and his Marketing skills should have been a good base for sales, how could he have thought that shop was in a good position before he put the 300k into it?

His girlfriend was a bit weepy too

Oh well it's all over now (till the repeats!)

Earlswood

Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:08 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gravyman
I would have expected a guy who ran a successful marketing business to have some idea about promoting his new venture.

Why would they have spent soo much on their monthly rent, or am I daft for think that it's a good idea to be a little frugal until you get established?

I vote the guy wasn't as smart as he thought he was!

Graham
Commercial people run successful retail businesses.
Marketing people don't make money; they spend it
There is a big difference in the skill sets.
Letting a marketeer lose with the purse strings will always be a disaster. He needs a minder.
It's like personal life. Men earn; women spend.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:14 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bix
Commercial people run successful retail businesses.
Marketing people don't make money; they spend it
There is a big difference in the skill sets.
Letting a marketeer lose with the purse strings will always be a disaster. He needs a minder.
It's like personal life. Men earn; women spend.
Totally agree, if you want a business to fail, get a marketing & PR company involved. W*nkers.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:15 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

I just got annoyed with that bloke tonight. Did you notice the first thing that happened when they had more money invested?? They spent some of it on BUBBLY!!!!
Yeah, OK! Good news and all! But he'd only got a quarter of what he needed. How would he have celebrated if he had got the million???!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:27 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough

Couldn't quite believe he was looking at expanding to the USA and London before we even saw one customer in his Sydney shop. Did we even see one person buying anything? Chic overpriced underwear and fluffy cushions on a sleepy backstreet? hoho

Worse programme in the series - 5 minutes Sydney and the now standard trip to dive with sharks and the rest about his dodgy business.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

1) What a good start - sold up everything, used his savings etc etc. this guy means to GO!!!

2) Placed a business - a female orientated business at that - in a hard to locate, none local, area - TWONK.

3) Did it remind anyone else of Reggie Perrins Grot Shop?- Loads of stuff to buy and all of it complete Bollo*ks?

4) had a party and got most of his stock nicked? - TWONK.

Thank god that's the end of this torture, I can get back to the house doctor.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Philanthropist5 is an unknown quantity at this point

For a visa system where something like 60-70% of visas are skilled, the NLWU series only had two out of the eight shows with skilled visas, the chippie who never really left the Uk (family looking after house and cat), and the newly qualified midwife, whos house plot had no shade.

2 out of 8 is hardly representavive of the true picture of oz migration.

Just another tv company looking for cheap thrills for ratings and dumbing down the subject matter for prime time couch potatoes.

never missed a show. but i watched it for information not entertainment, sadly found neither.

soon be our turn to live it
fingers crossed.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Philanthropist5 is an unknown quantity at this point

For a visa system where something like 60-70% of visas are skilled, the NLWU series only had two out of the eight shows with skilled visas, the chippie who never really left the Uk (family looking after house and cat), and the newly qualified midwife, whos house plot had no shade.

Just another tv company looking for cheap thrills for ratings and dumbing down the subject matter for prime time couch potatoes.

never missed a show. but i watched it for information not entertainment, sadly found neither.

fingers crossed.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Philanthropist5

fingers crossed.
Never a truer word said.

Obviously t.v directors go to the university of Bollo*cks.

Good job some of us have more than two micro brain cells to rub together.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally posted by steandleigh Obviously t.v directors go to the university of Bollo*cks.

Good job some of us have more than two micro brain cells to rub together.
I've worked in the television industry and found that to be the opposite of the case despite my pre-conceptions.

TV directors get their next job by ensuring their current project rates. Except BBC2 and SBS. The sad reality is not enough of us (the viewers) have more than two micro brain cells.

And those better endowed watch it anyway so their own superiority can be shared with their mates.

There is nothing wrong with being superior by the way as long as it is justified.
Old Jan 22nd 2004, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Banksia
I've worked in the television industry and found that to be the opposite of the case despite my pre-conceptions.

TV directors get their next job by ensuring their current project rates. Except BBC2 and SBS. The sad reality is not enough of us (the viewers) have more than two micro brain cells.

And those better endowed watch it anyway so their own superiority can be shared with their mates.

There is nothing wrong with being superior by the way as long as it is justified.
Accepted, and this is not personal, but T.V works in pretty much the same way as every other business in the world - it's about gaining custom. ( And ratings ).

Some people want to buy into the aussie dream, gold paved streets and all, and what better way than to project a series which promotes the aussie way of life, without the warts and the true facts.

There have been some bumbling errors and downright lies which the program would call " facts ", during this series.

Obviously the programme makers are hoping to tap into a niche of society which is clueless and also which is disinterested.

Just your typical mid evening t.v, for your typical family entertainment.

They obviously underestimate the number of us, who are joining the the long que, to form a mass exodus of the u.k.

Aren't these programmes supposed to have researchers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.