New Life in Aus

Old May 22nd 2007, 9:35 pm
tbanana

tbanana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Life in Aus

Professional Health and Safety Advisor - Apparently my UK quals (GradIOSH) don't meet the requirements of the immigration assesment in Aus - what options do I have and what suggestions do you have,
Where are the jobs and what are the rates?
Please feel free to offer opinions / information

Last edited by tbanana; May 22nd 2007 at 9:39 pm.
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:12 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Life in Aus

Originally Posted by tbanana
Professional Health and Safety Advisor - Apparently my UK quals (GradIOSH) don't meet the requirements of the immigration assesment in Aus - what options do I have and what suggestions do you have,
Where are the jobs and what are the rates?
Please feel free to offer opinions / information
Dont bother then. Basically if you dont pass the points system then dont apply.

Or enlist the help of an agent.

Try a few webites of agents, they generaly have a points assessment calculator on them. if you fill one or 2 in then you wiull get people touting youu for business if they think they can get you in.

Ask them carerfully and write down which way they think they can take you and if you feel confident then at least you know the route to go yourself.

Australians use a bit of common sense when it comes to health and safety. If itll hurt you then dont touch it unless you know what you are doing otherwise your a tit! Old school! LOL

Just my opinion, but good luck
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Australians use a bit of common sense when it comes to health and safety. If itll hurt you then dont touch it unless you know what you are doing otherwise your a tit! Old school! LOL
Very true. Its nice to be in a country where every hot tap doesn't have a warning saying "Beware Hot Water" stuck to it!

Good luck with the application by the way.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:06 am
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
Very true. Its nice to be in a country where every hot tap doesn't have a warning saying "Beware Hot Water" stuck to it!

One of the reasons im moving.

There is no european courts to rule over decisions hopefully creating les of a compo culture.

Ive had my visa for 3 yrs now and we are finally moving out 17th August to Sydney. Bring it on.

No direspect to the OP but the less heath and safety guys crawling around the better. They will be geting the P.C. brigade in next to tell us we cant use the word blackboard.

Totally off subject but good luck none the less.

If you are under 32 you could get in on a workiung holiday visa and try to get sponsorship to stay on longer.

If the Original poster want to share more detaiols then more people can help i think.

al
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:34 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the reasons im moving.

There is no european courts to rule over decisions hopefully creating les of a compo culture.

Ive had my visa for 3 yrs now and we are finally moving out 17th August to Sydney. Bring it on.

No direspect to the OP but the less heath and safety guys crawling around the better. They will be geting the P.C. brigade in next to tell us we cant use the word blackboard.

Totally off subject but good luck none the less.

If you are under 32 you could get in on a workiung holiday visa and try to get sponsorship to stay on longer.

If the Original poster want to share more detaiols then more people can help i think.

al

Your a long way wide of the mark there Al, Australia is crawling with H&S guys. We have to get all our tools tested & tagged every three months here in QLD. Where your heading you have to get all yours tested & tagged every month. If you open a salon that means your clippers, drier's etc all have to be tested monthly. You can't escape the red tape here mate either
Theres even more layers of government than the U.K all providing more red tape to adhere to, fill out or comply with:curse:
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cresta57
Your a long way wide of the mark there Al, Australia is crawling with H&S guys. We have to get all our tools tested & tagged every three months here in QLD. Where your heading you have to get all yours tested & tagged every month. If you open a salon that means your clippers, drier's etc all have to be tested monthly. You can't escape the red tape here mate either
Theres even more layers of government than the U.K all providing more red tape to adhere to, fill out or comply with:curse:
I think it probably depends what area of H+S you are talking about. In the office environments I have worked in H+S is a lot less visible that it was in the UK. In the UK we used to get H+S people come around regularily and tell us how to sit etc not seen that since I've been here. In the UK there were also lots of signs stating the obvious (ie Hot Water etc), again not seen that here (I'm not saying they don't exist anywhere in Oz just that I haven't seen them).

Roadworks, Streetworks etc also seem to be less governed by H+S in terms of the public. In the UK everything would be cordened off even if it was quite a small job here there are a few small signs and a handfull of cones!

Slightly off topic but I think that the UK must be the world capital of Traffic Cones. I'm sure that no other county in the world uses as many.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:47 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cresta57

Does that mean someone comes round or i have to send em in?

Cheers for the advice.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:49 am
Chris

tscw1 will become famous soon enough

In my workplace I'm sitting under a notice board full of procedures for loads of health and safety issues. There's people very very serious about it

have I read them?

I now feel like a rebel, living life on the edge!

Chris

Last edited by tscw1; May 23rd 2007 at 1:25 am.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by tscw1
In my workplace I'm sitting under a notice board full of procedures for loads of health and safety issues. There's people very very serious about it

have I read them?

I now feel like a rebel, living life on the edgeI

Chris

Its the same in the uk. Use common sense thats all thats needed. These notices are up so the company doesnt get sued and it keeps the insurance guys happy.

Should be taught health and safety (otherwise known as common sense) in schools more so people can grasp common sense over acedemics. The more common sense you have, the quicker you learn in my humble opinion

al
Old May 23rd 2007, 3:28 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean someone comes round or i have to send em in?

Cheers for the advice.
You find yourself a friendly electrician and cut his hair in return for him tagging your gear. We usually get a mate to do ours and buy him a carton of Cascade.
I was booked onto the course to do my test & tag a couple of years ago and they canceled it due to lack of numbers, I'm still waiting for a call to tell me there's sufficient interest to run another. It's only a couple of hundred bucks & you can test all your own stuff.
It must be more difficult for someone with a premises as your in a fixed spot so inspectors can call in and know your there any time. We have only had a couple of visits in four years, though we have had a few calls to say they're in the area checking. That's usually accompanied by a mass exodus of tradies from any sites in the area.
Frustrating at times but you just learn to kick back and get on with how it works here.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:43 am
tbanana

tbanana is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the initial replies - you must have some very good Health and Safety people in Aus, as I've looked at your law and regulations and they aren't that much different to uk - what you'll find is that good health and safety practitioners make applying your rules and regulations easy and avoid the unnecessary nannying, concentrating on the more important stuff that can hurt people or land you in court. Many of the things people talk about are insurance led atempts to avoid responsibility for shoddyness and unfortunately the good people get sucked into it.
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH

Don't work at our place then. We have signs for hot water, we have detailed instructions on how to apply soap to your hands and then wash them - these are even nicely framed by the government. Divisional meeting today was held up while the WH&S rep ticked off the boss for sitting on a table while talking to us........
Australia is the home of red tape, believe me.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't work at our place then. We have signs for hot water, we have detailed instructions on how to apply soap to your hands and then wash them - these are even nicely framed by the government. Divisional meeting today was held up while the WH&S rep ticked off the boss for sitting on a table while talking to us........
Australia is the home of red tape, believe me.
Might also be a public sector thing too. Seriously! We don't get that. There is a label on the Boiling water tap though - and so there should.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Hi

I am having my skills assessed under Occupational H&S Officer.

We have an agent and we were told they are assessing my degree not my post degree quals. VETASSESS aren't interested.

The job experience/post grad quals apply when it comes to immigration application.

If you have a degree (even if its in paper folding) then you halfway there.

I am lucky my partner has family over there so we have a v good chance of getting in.

Cx
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Forgot to metion

Seek is a good website to get an idea of H&S jobs in Oz. Its like Monster.

Cx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.