British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   The New Life (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/new-life-160152/)

Florida_03 Jun 18th 2003 7:11 am

The New Life

Dear Mr Bastard,

Don't wish to be personal but was wondering if you could tell me if you have found employment in the UK yet. If you have posted this previously please ignore me.

In particular I am interested in salaries for engineering (radio communication electronics etc) folk. I was over there end of 2001 and found it hard to get them talking over the 40k mark.

Regards

Digby B Ozzie

PS you and Wilf are bastards, all this chatter about the UK has got me thinking about using up the last 3 years of my UK working visa. Christ I was even looking at jobs again on Jobsite, and checking rental prices in Abingdon. Need to lie down now...feeling wowsyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...........................

pommie bastard Jun 18th 2003 7:16 am

Re: The New Life

Originally posted by Florida_03
Dear Mr Bastard,

Don't wish to be personal but was wondering if you could tell me if you have found employment in the UK yet. If you have posted this previously please ignore me.

In particular I am interested in salaries for engineering (radio communication electronics etc) folk. I was over there end of 2001 and found it hard to get them talking over the 40k mark.

Regards

Digby B Ozzie

PS you and Wilf are bastards, all this chatter about the UK has got me thinking about using up the last 3 years of my UK working visa. Christ I was even looking at jobs again on Jobsite, and checking rental prices in Abingdon. Need to lie down now...feeling wowsyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...........................

We all get what we are worth and I am sure you are under valued.

:D :cool: :beer:

Florida_03 Jun 18th 2003 7:22 am

Originally posted by pommie bastard
We all get what we are worth and I am sure you are under valued.

I guess the thing is, I can't get my head around living a reasonable life in the UK; you know, renting a small house, having a small car, and paying the normal living expences, with a wife and 2 small kids, with only 40-50k coming in the door.

pommie bastard Jun 18th 2003 7:26 am

I guess the thing is, I can't get my head around living a reasonable life in the UK; you know, renting a small house, having a small car, and paying the normal living expences, with a wife and 2 small kids, with only 40-50k coming in the door.
Have a problem getting my head round it too, have little cash here too.
Lets see I have the same size house here less money and stuck at the arse end of nowhere , no it has to be the UK for me sorry.

Florida_03 Jun 18th 2003 7:34 am

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Have a problem getting my head round it too, have little cash here too.
Lets see I have the same size house here less money and stuck at the arse end of nowhere , no it has to be the UK for me sorry.

Well you always were the cagey one, good luck with the job hunting if that's what you will do. If not happy house-thingy'ing, you know where the missus works and we sit at home knitting jocks.

pommie bastard Jun 18th 2003 7:37 am

Well you always were the cagey one, good luck with the job hunting if that's what you will do. If not happy house-thingy'ing, you know where the missus works and we sit at home knitting jocks.

Nice one you are far to smart and I am sure you too have talents that are wasted here.

Jaykay Jun 18th 2003 8:01 am

Florida

We live on 40K a year, with a small house, 2 cars and a small child who is in pre-school (paying out £475 per month for this), and I would consider our lifestyle to be "comfortable". Okay, we don't own new cars, we don't eat out every week, but could if we wanted to, and we do have savings in the bank.

I think you can quite comfortably live on this amount as long as you consider what it is you want to spend it on and whether it's really necessary.

Regards

Florida_03 Jun 18th 2003 8:39 am

Originally posted by Jaykay
Florida

We live on 40K a year, with a small house, 2 cars and a small child who is in pre-school (paying out £475 per month for this), and I would consider our lifestyle to be "comfortable". Okay, we don't own new cars, we don't eat out every week, but could if we wanted to, and we do have savings in the bank.

I think you can quite comfortably live on this amount as long as you consider what it is you want to spend it on and whether it's really necessary.

Regards
Thanks Jaykay, it's the housing, rental costs that concern me, are you renting, mortgaged or own?? Please do not answer if this is too personal. My quick look says we would be up for 600-800 per month for housing.

Florida_03 Jun 18th 2003 9:19 am

Thanks Jaykay, it's the housing, rental costs that concern me, are you renting, mortgaged or own?? Please do not answer if this is too personal. My quick look says we would be up for 600-800 per month for housing.
Heh...what are you doing?...no I did not......nooo....now you are simply being unreasonable...no I didn't say...we were going to the UK...yes I...yes I know what I said...yes...but...but...no...now put the bottle down...put it down...umphhh...arrgggh...stop it...no I won't...argh..umpphhh...alrightttt....stop...put the bottle down...OK OK we'll go to Florida...no...no...yess...ochhh...alright...Abing don is a hole...no I won't say that...arshhhhiiiitttt...alright...sheep are beautiful...I feel dirty now...

philangst Jun 18th 2003 10:06 am

housing costs

FAO Florida_03

we live in Leeds on £32k a year. wife+2 kids+2(oldish cars) but BUGGER ALL social life, holidays etc. We struggle a bit but have a relatively small mortgage. Couldn't afford to buy a house around here these days. Your just about right with housing costs. To rent a 3 bed semi is about £600-£750 pcm in a decent area. Check out http://www.linleysimpson.co.uk for rentals in Leeds

Florida_03 Jun 18th 2003 10:10 am

Re: housing costs

Originally posted by philangst
FAO Florida_03

we live in Leeds on £32k a year. wife+2 kids+2(oldish cars) but BUGGER ALL social life, holidays etc. We struggle a bit but have a relatively small mortgage. Couldn't afford to buy a house around here these days. Your just about right with housing costs. To rent a 3 bed semi is about £600-£750 pcm in a decent area. Check out http://www.linleysimpson.co.uk for rentals in Leeds
Thanks mate...the doctor said the glass shards won't be a major issue, other than the one near the left optic nerve...after the surgery I'll have a look, maybe one-eyed however.

PeteY Jun 18th 2003 11:21 am

Depends where you are...

My wife and i used to live in Tooting, which is a pretty unsavory area in south London. The rental of a very small 2 bed house without a garden was 860 a month, + all bills, unfurnished.

Advantage was a 25 minute commute to work.

Disadvantages are too numerous to list, but the cost would be at the top of the list...

Jaykay Jun 18th 2003 2:36 pm

Florida

Rental costs where I live for the same type of house that we are paying off are around £700 per month. We live in a really sweet little village about 30 minutes away from London by train (fast train to Waterloo). We are also a 5 minute drive from the M3 and 10 minutes to the M25.

We are paying off a mortgage (which is about £450 per month). We do own our cars, can pay off our monthly visa bills and have no other debt so as I said previously, we live comfortably but not excessively.

If we are in the same financial position when we move to Australia I will be happy :)

Regards

Florida_03 Jun 19th 2003 12:59 am

Florida

Rental costs where I live for the same type of house that we are paying off are around £700 per month. We live in a really sweet little village about 30 minutes away from London by train (fast train to Waterloo). We are also a 5 minute drive from the M3 and 10 minutes to the M25.

We are paying off a mortgage (which is about £450 per month). We do own our cars, can pay off our monthly visa bills and have no other debt so as I said previously, we live comfortably but not excessively.

If we are in the same financial position when we move to Australia I will be happy :)

Regards
Thank you Jaykay, philangst, and PeteY for taking the time and effort to answer.

Wilf Jun 19th 2003 1:05 am

Florida

Regards
Your life sounds very nice. Why are you coming to Oz? If "for the change" then you have exhausted Britain and Europe? Your life sounds like something my ozzie friends here would like very much.