Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New job maybe(hopefully!)

New job maybe(hopefully!)

Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:50 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default New job maybe.....

Decided at the beginning of the week that I really could do better than this job (receptionist), and more of what I studied(Facilities management). And that I would be better off leaving my present job now, because they're making me permanent soon, and I'd feel even worse about leaving if they'd gone to all that trouble(I already feel a bit bad now, because I've made it quite clear I enjoy it here, and I'd like to stay on...)

Found an ad on seek.com.au soon after, facilities assistant, and sometimes filling in for reception. It's not a much higher position than present, but a bit, and more my skills, and in the city(closer to home), and probably pays more etc, it's with a (very large) international Accounting etc firm(who can guess this one? )

The ad was dated 11 Jan, so called yesterday to ask if they were still taking applications... yes! So yesterday evening, updated resume and wrote letter, and emailed it in. This afternoon called to ask if they recieved it, yes, and shortlisting will happen next week.
Just then (4 pm), someone left a message on my mobile if I could attend an interview on Tuesday at 11 am!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm at work now though, have never applied for a job when I was still working somewhere else....
But went outside, and rang back, explained situation, and we decided on Monday at 4pm. Means I'll have to leave work about 3.15, but I've already just told a colleague here that I have a doctors appointment, that I made yesterday... he he. (I actually have that appointment tomorrow, (I'm not sick, need a prescribtion for something), so at least it's not total lies.

Ooooh, excited, had to share. To much blabbing on now though, I'm bad at coming to the point...

Anyone know what your notice period is on a temp contract? Better go find my contract!

Btw, I had quite a good coverletter I thought, but this morning I realised that I totally forgot to mention my degree in Business adminstration(facility management) in it It was on the resume of course though!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:53 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New job maybe.....

ha ha ha!

Totally wrong forum!!!!

Sorry!!
I'llg et the mods to move it!!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:05 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New job maybe(hopefully!)

Originally Posted by Simone
Posted this a few hours ago, but on the wrong forum(was the excitement you see... ) JAJ doesn't seem to be online to move it, so I'll just repost and the other will have to be deleted!
Be prepared for blabbing on, read only if you're really really bored!!

Decided at the beginning of the week that I really could do better than this job (receptionist), and more of what I studied(Facilities management). And that I would be better off leaving my present job now, because they're making me permanent soon, and I'd feel even worse about leaving if they'd gone to all that trouble(I already feel a bit bad now, because I've made it quite clear I enjoy it here, and I'd like to stay on...)

Found an ad on seek.com.au soon after, facilities assistant, and sometimes filling in for reception. It's not a much higher position than present, but a bit, and more my skills, and in the city(closer to home), and probably pays more etc, it's with a (very large) international Accounting etc firm(who can guess this one? )

The ad was dated 11 Jan, so called yesterday to ask if they were still taking applications... yes! So yesterday evening, updated resume and wrote letter, and emailed it in. This afternoon called to ask if they recieved it, yes, and shortlisting will happen next week.
Just then (4 pm), someone left a message on my mobile if I could attend an interview on Tuesday at 11 am!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm at work now though, have never applied for a job when I was still working somewhere else....
But went outside, and rang back, explained situation, and we decided on Monday at 4pm. Means I'll have to leave work about 3.15, but I've already just told a colleague here that I have a doctors appointment, that I made yesterday... he he. (I actually have that appointment tomorrow, (I'm not sick, need a prescribtion for something), so at least it's not total lies.

Ooooh, excited, had to share. To much blabbing on now though

Anyone know what your notice period is on a temp contract? Better go find my contract!

Btw, I had quite a good coverletter I thought, but this morning I realised that I totally forgot to mention my degree in Business adminstration(facility management) in it It was on the resume of course though!

Right, few hours later now, practiced driving from southern suburbs into the city, that's going to be hard to make in 45 minutes, including parking and not sweating....(and it's even going to be 32 to make matters worse..)
I tried Orong rd, gr eastern hwy, causeway, st georges... Might have to go via roe hwy, south st, freeway, riverside dve....
Will go into the city tomorrow to suss out parking and where it is exactly...
Best of luck on Monday, go for it gurl !!!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:09 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by biggy
Best of luck on Monday, go for it gurl !!!
Thanks

Uh oh, just notice my post was moved(or copied) to this forum, it's on page 2 or 3
Sorry JAJ, geez I'm making a mess of this!!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:27 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Usually ... zip, zero, zilch (in law - the moral issue is different!)

Good luck for the new job, Simone. I'm sure you'll be right 'up there' on their list of good ones!

Fingers crossed for you,
PR

Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:29 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Posted this a few hours ago, but on the wrong forum(was the excitement you see... )

Be prepared for blabbing on, read only if you're really really bored!!

Ooooh, excited, had to share. To much blabbing on now though

Right, few hours later now, practiced driving from southern suburbs into the city, that's going to be hard to make in 45 minutes, including parking and not sweating....(and it's even going to be 32 to make matters worse..)
I tried Orong rd, gr eastern hwy, causeway, st georges... Might have to go via roe hwy, south st, freeway, riverside dve....
Will go into the city tomorrow to suss out parking and where it is exactly...

Hi Simone,

Good luck for your interview. Hope you get the job, it sounds exactly what you are looking for.

Fingers crossed!

Shell
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:35 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by ProofReader
Usually ... zip, zero, zilch (in law - the moral issue is different!)

Good luck for the new job, Simone. I'm sure you'll be right 'up there' on their list of good ones!

Fingers crossed for you,
PR

Thanks!
Yeah, didn't think there was either. I'd like to stay 2 weeks, so they can quickly find someone and I can work them in(is that a phrase in english??). But, it would be weird, and the other place of course would probably want sooner.
And the girl who showed me the ropes at this job is still here working for another department, and it's not really that hard anyway...

Ohhh, I'm getting way to ahead of myself as usual. Stop it!

Thanks sheca!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:40 pm
Go Banana's !!

Go girl - best of luck and see you Wednesday, maybe we'll have lots to celebrate

Jill

Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:52 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Go girl - best of luck and see you Wednesday, maybe we'll have lots to celebrate

Jill
Thanks, yeah, triple celebration or even more!

btw, just did a google search, and my maybe new company(getting my hopes up ) does work for Warren's maybe new company.. Though this company does a lot of work for a lot of companies, so that's not really saying anything!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:55 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Thanks!
Yeah, didn't think there was either. I'd like to stay 2 weeks, so they can quickly find someone and I can work them in(is that a phrase in english??). But, it would be weird, and the other place of course would probably want sooner.
And the girl who showed me the ropes at this job is still here working for another department, and it's not really that hard anyway...

Ohhh, I'm getting way to ahead of myself as usual. Stop it!

Thanks sheca!
Sometimes it's as well to cut and run ... in the temp world. They probably won't thank you for working out two weeks notice and you may well wonder why you did! (Sorry, bit of a sceptic here: been there, done that, etc.)

However, if you "can work them in", why not?! Yep, good English phrase there ... we all know what you mean!

Hoping that your enthusiasm and excitement takes you far.

Best of luck,
PR

Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:46 pm
maggy

good luck hun

miss you

xxx

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 12:41 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

there's always one int'tha?

I'm in the same boat, i'm currently trying to get some contact details off someone so i can apply for a job with the defence department! if they ever send them that is...

anyway, good luck with the job application!

leigh
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 1:33 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Just a minor point eh? Good luck girl!
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 3:49 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by scutterUK
there's always one int'tha?

I'm in the same boat, i'm currently trying to get some contact details off someone so i can apply for a job with the defence department! if they ever send them that is...

anyway, good luck with the job application!

leigh
Good luck Leigh!!! Is that the one in Sydney? Actually, no, it's probably Canberra if it's government he?!
Hey, Mairi (VegemiteKids) works for Defence here in WA, and had to go to Canberra twice already. Maybe she could be off some help too?

Lol, yeah Wayne! Silly hey?! It's the one thing none of the other applicants should have....
Thanks for deleting the other thread etc
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 3:58 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Btw, other good news... mum has got her visa to come out in August.
Dad and brother are citizens, and mum was going to get a spouse visa, but they realised a RRV (resident return) visa might be easier and cheaper(no meds + pcc).
They went to Berlin yesterday, and had the visa 5 mins later(because her husband is a citizen, and me out here, and because she's had PR before).

They're moving back over permanently btw, for those that didn't know yet.
They're thinking about moving to Bunbury, we used to live in Bridgetown, so they'll be between that and us in Perth. And old friends live in Australind now, and own the LJ hooker in Bunbury, so dad hopes to get some (building) work via him, and he's got more contacts down that way.
And apparently you can now do uni courses in Bunbury, so that's Maarten sorted...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.