New House - WA

Old Mar 8th 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough
Default New House - WA

Hi. I have a few questions pertaining to some add ons to my new house currently under construction.

1) I was given a quotation of $2200 for the installation of a sectional door and MERLIN MT60 belt drive motor. The features of the motor are as follows.

* Fingersafe Technology
* New Nylon Polymer Hinges that are stronger than metal hinges, and along with the nylon rollers, provide a quieter operation. These hinges will not rust or corrode, will not crack or warp, and come with a LIFE TIME WARRANTY

Is $2200 a good price?? What are your thoughts on MERLIN motor??? Any other alternatives that is worth considering?

2. Soakwell - I was made to understand the importance of installing a soakwell within the premises of my house. What is the estimated cost of installation and the material?

3. I need to install a 90mm diameter PVC storm water pipe across the driveway (approx 300mm below the ground and offset 4 metres from the carport). The purpose of this pipe is to run pipe work and wiring for the irrigation under the driveway. Can anyone enlighten me on the approx. cost of the work (incl. material)?? Is there anyone out there licensed to carry out the job??

I am building in Brighton, Butler.

Thanks.

Last edited by dave_wong; Mar 8th 2009 at 8:00 am.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New House - WA

we did the soakwells ourselves (well hubby did - lol!) just dug a huge hole about 5' deep and recycled some plastic barrels with holes in them part-filled with rubble to help with drainage. Cost minimal, hardest bit is digging the holes (so I'm told )

we had pipes running from the drainpipes directly into the soakwells, some of them with two pipes per soakwell.

hope that helps
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
we did the soakwells ourselves (well hubby did - lol!) just dug a huge hole about 5' deep and recycled some plastic barrels with holes in them part-filled with rubble to help with drainage. Cost minimal, hardest bit is digging the holes (so I'm told )

we had pipes running from the drainpipes directly into the soakwells, some of them with two pipes per soakwell.

hope that helps
Dave, make sure you install the pipe under the driveway before they pavers go down. We actually got the builders to include laying the pipe in the cost of our build. It's nothing to them and if they do it prior to them getting the driveway in then it's one less thing for us to worry about.

By the way, your place is really coming along. We took a drive up on Friday. From our position up on the hill we'll be able to see over to your place.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Dave, make sure you install the pipe under the driveway before they pavers go down. We actually got the builders to include laying the pipe in the cost of our build. It's nothing to them and if they do it prior to them getting the driveway in then it's one less thing for us to worry about.

By the way, your place is really coming along. We took a drive up on Friday. From our position up on the hill we'll be able to see over to your place.
Dorothy,

Yes I will make sure the pipe is installed prior to paving the driveway. In fact, I have written an email to the builder on this matter. I am not sure if my building cost is including the laying of the said pipe (I have no recollection of this matter being brough up during our numerous meetings with the builder). If not, I will need to engage someone to do the job ASAP.

Once they start the job things will just move along pretty fast. I am having a hard time keeping up with them.

Cheers....
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

worth checking as i know they laid a pipe under our driveway as part of the build... so maybe a standard thing and save you a few $$$

whereabouts are you building and who with?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Hi, we also had the builder lay the pvc pipe during the build.
Re soakwells, our builder wanted about $3000.00 to put in two large concrete soakwells which would have been sufficient for the whole house. In the end we put in 3 plastic ones from Bunnings ourselves at the front and got a local company to do 5 smaller concrete ones at the back, that cost something like $7 to 800.00 as far as I remember (just got a few quotes from local ads). Had that done after we moved in, it took them about 2 hours! Took DH about 3 days to do the front ones!!
HB
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Emiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of light

Going to install soakwells this week for a client.simple enough.not sure how much parts cost as friend is sorting that out..think im charging for a whole day..
Anybody want any paves laid?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 7:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emiric
Going to install soakwells this week for a client.simple enough.not sure how much parts cost as friend is sorting that out..think im charging for a whole day..
Anybody want any paves laid?
Not in Dorset, but maybe in 6 months or so in Perth. We'll have a huge area around our pool that we want paved.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Hi all,

I have checked with the builder and confirmed that laying of the pipe is included in the costing. So, it will be some savings at my end.

I have also did some window shopping at bunnings just now. I understand that installation of the Soakwell is not that hard. Therefore, I plan to have it done by myself after moving in.

The problem that I have with the builder now is regards to the paint job. I have requested that they allow my appointed painter into the house to do the job while their tradesmen are working on the house. Unfortunately, they have turned down my request. I know that it is good to wait for a few months prior to painting but it would be quite impossible due to the following reasons ...

1. The carpet guy is coming to lay the carpet in the rooms prior to us moving in. I can't imagine how to paint the edge (between the wall and the floor) with the carpet around.

2. My wife is due approx. the same time as we move in. I will have to minimise my new born from inhaling the fumes emitted from the fresh paint on the wall.

I would appreciate some feedback with regards to the paint job as it is now driving me nuts!!!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

scamp1976 is on a distinguished road

Can't say about Australian prices ( yet ) but in Europe 1100 euro's ( 2200 dollars ) for a new sectional door + motor + placing is very very cheap.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave_wong
Hi all,

I have checked with the builder and confirmed that laying of the pipe is included in the costing. So, it will be some savings at my end.

I have also did some window shopping at bunnings just now. I understand that installation of the Soakwell is not that hard. Therefore, I plan to have it done by myself after moving in.

The problem that I have with the builder now is regards to the paint job. I have requested that they allow my appointed painter into the house to do the job while their tradesmen are working on the house. Unfortunately, they have turned down my request. I know that it is good to wait for a few months prior to painting but it would be quite impossible due to the following reasons ...

1. The carpet guy is coming to lay the carpet in the rooms prior to us moving in. I can't imagine how to paint the edge (between the wall and the floor) with the carpet around.

2. My wife is due approx. the same time as we move in. I will have to minimise my new born from inhaling the fumes emitted from the fresh paint on the wall.

I would appreciate some feedback with regards to the paint job as it is now driving me nuts!!!
We painted our walls as soon as we moved in and have had no problems at all. My friends have built 5 houses now and painted them all straight away with no problems. Just make sure you use a good quality sealer on the walls before painting.

Tracie
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dave_wong
Hi all,

The problem that I have with the builder now is regards to the paint job. I have requested that they allow my appointed painter into the house to do the job while their tradesmen are working on the house. Unfortunately, they have turned down my request.
I'm not a builder, however I think it is more likely to be an insurance issue with not wanting your painter in the house until they have finished. When we built we had the house painted by the builder, and it was done withing days of the plaster being finished. We haven't had any problems (at least not with the painting!!).
BE Forum Addict

they probably wont let him in due to the insurance issue.

TBH you're probably better off waiting until the carpets are in. We rushed to get ours painted before they came and then every single room had chips out of it from where they'd put the carpet in - was NOT a happy bunny

also you dont have to wait to paint, just make sure you use an oil-based sealant on all the walls, stops the paint cracking and flaking off. smelly stuff unfortunately but well worth doing.