Reload this Page >

New house build quality???

New house build quality???

Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:12 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New house build quality???

Originally Posted by sme
I'd agree about the double brick and plaster walls in WA but echoey rooms as there is nothing in our house to absorb the sound.

We've not got that excuse! Lots of furniture! trouble is, room is 50ft x 30ft. What the hell we built a room that big for I'll never know
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:32 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
We've not got that excuse! Lots of furniture! trouble is, room is 50ft x 30ft. What the hell we built a room that big for I'll never know

You should rent it out for weddings
Old Mar 7th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by youngy73
hey stu,
i would agree with what cresta says but if you want internal block walls you can have them. they normally use 100mm for internals and then core fill them then sheet over the top or render the wall. the houses up here are bullet proof i reckon. a raft slab with rio from the slab up thru the walls and tied to the roof for the cyclone rating. the walls are core filled with concrete around the doors and windows then every 4th core and all the way around the top two courses. there going nowhere. quality, well that always depends on who does the work. i know both good and bad tradesman. one thing that struck me over here is the amount of different trades there are. i know blokes and all they do is fix a roof and someone else lays the sheets. another bloke just does downpipes, another guttering. also with new builds now they are using metal frames for the walls.they are shit. they move all over the place until the wall is sheeted but its quick which means money saved for the builder. at the end of the day money is what it all boils down to these days.one piece of advice when your building is remember you dont know best. we see it everyday where people want lights randomly placed or specify power points in stupid places or heights. was on one job where the women wanted powerpoints at a height so her kid could not touch them. surely kids grow but she was adamant. it just looked stupid. on another job the dude was obsessed with 2 way switching. wanted every light in the house on a 2 way. doing a job today on a two storey where we are wiring the upstairs and 2 lights only downstairs because the owners mate is going to do it later on the cheap.false economy, get what you want when its getting built dont wait until later as it will cost twice as much.i know its your house and you can have what ever you want but get good tradies, tell them what you want and let them get on with it
Fantastic advice mate. I'm wiring new builds on Gold and Sunshine coasts. Owners should be barred from workplace IMHO. I know that it's exciting for them, having their houses built but most of them have had all the time in the world to decide where they want outlets and lights. They then turn up on site and try changing stuff. Trying it on most of 'em. Just last week the owners turned up with fans for every room. Only lights specified on the plans so no active cable for the fan!!! Ended up stiking a deal with my boss and paying him cash to install the fans. Guess which muggins had to pull in the extra cable and not see a penny of the cash? Yep, my trades assisstant.

Andy
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:20 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

All makes for good reading! It would have to be block walls for me and as far as them metal framed stud walls go they are total crap. There is a lot of that going up back in the uk. Problem with me and it probably goes for most tradesmen you get very picky with standards of work. It would drive me nuts crap workmanship in my own home. Iv done everything myself in my house back in the uk and hate paying anyone to do work for me but i guess i'll have to over there with this whole licence thing!

Stu
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:32 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stu:0
All makes for good reading! It would have to be block walls for me and as far as them metal framed stud walls go they are total crap. There is a lot of that going up back in the uk. Problem with me and it probably goes for most tradesmen you get very picky with standards of work. It would drive me nuts crap workmanship in my own home. Iv done everything myself in my house back in the uk and hate paying anyone to do work for me but i guess i'll have to over there with this whole licence thing!

Stu
You could always go to TAFE and get an Owner Builders Licence. I believe that if your actually employed within the construction industry and have a licence you only do a weekend course. You can then do most of the work yourself and do it to your own standard. If you need to study to gain your sparks licence before you get a job you could combine your time effectively building your house while attaining your licence.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:04 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cresta57
You could always go to TAFE and get an Owner Builders Licence. I believe that if your actually employed within the construction industry and have a licence you only do a weekend course. You can then do most of the work yourself and do it to your own standard. If you need to study to gain your sparks licence before you get a job you could combine your time effectively building your house while attaining your licence.
Thats good to know cresta, i was under the impression you had to stick to your own trade and that was it!

Stu
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:58 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

What! Are you saying you need a licence then to do a bit of DIY? I was thinking about building and doing most of it myself, afterall who would actually know how much or what you did? Does someone come and check up to make sure you are not doing a bit of DIY on a house build?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
What! Are you saying you need a licence then to do a bit of DIY? I was thinking about building and doing most of it myself, afterall who would actually know how much or what you did? Does someone come and check up to make sure you are not doing a bit of DIY on a house build?
Just a thought, You might have a problem when you come to sell though, These add ons will not be on the original plans and to sell must meet building regs. If they do it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Good luck with your building

John
Old Mar 7th 2007, 3:10 pm
Sparky Stu

It does seem a little mad the price of some of these new builds over there, how cheap they are but i guess thats because they are built of paper
It would be nice to get the shell up and do a lot of the internal work yourself. I like the ideas of some of the plans you see on the new build but would be nice to play around will the inside. We'l see. Have to get out there first!

Stu
Old Mar 7th 2007, 6:26 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I had a timber frame house in the UK too as well as here. Its not a problem with the sound I've found.

That said, in a place where termites cost billions $ damage you would kind of think the standard would be steel or brick.....
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:01 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
No, not to do a bit of DIY To build a new home yourself you can do a course at TAFE called an Owner Builders Course, some of the work your still required to use licenced contractors but you can do the majority yourself. This is applicable only in QLD so you being in NSW may or may not have a similar scheme.

The OB permits are quite strict, your only allowed one every six years. The fact that it's a self build stays on the property title file for at least seven years, consequentially it could effect the resale of your home or the resale value. You also most importantly lose the QBSA insurance which means that if a subcontractor fails to complete work he's started of fails to rectify any subsequent defects the building is not covered as per a standard contract.
Take a look at the QBSA site I've posted the link a lot, the one below is the section regarding Owner Builder Permits;
http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/Consu...erBuilding.htm

This one is the link to the approved course providers
http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/Consu...erBuilders.htm
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:11 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

No, not to do a bit of DIY To build a new home yourself you can do a course at TAFE called an Owner Builders Course, some of the work your still required to use licenced contractors but you can do the majority yourself. This is applicable only in QLD so you being in NSW may or may not have a similar scheme.

The OB permits are quite strict, your only allowed one every six years. The fact that it's a self build stays on the property title file for at least seven years, consequentially it could effect the resale of your home or the resale value. You also most importantly lose the QBSA insurance which means that if a subcontractor fails to complete work he's started of fails to rectify any subsequent defects the building is not covered as per a standard contract.
Take a look at the QBSA site I've posted the link a lot, the one below is the section regarding Owner Builder Permits;
http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/Consu...erBuilding.htm

This one is the link to the approved course providers
http://www.bsa.qld.gov.au/Home/Consu...erBuilders.htm
Struth, I was thinking more along the lines that stu mentioned. Get the shell, slab and roof put up by builders but then do all the rest myself. Just dreaming now though as I'm well and truely stuck where I am at the moment.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:21 pm
Sparky Stu

Dont think the missus would be to happy living in a caravan monthes on end whilst i built the whole thing Nice to know you can do it though. I was thinking more along the lines of fitting the kitchen, wire it, tiling that sort of thing

Stu
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:25 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Nobody's mentioned straw bale walls yet. A foot of highly compacted straw makes for great sound/heat/cool insulation. The render that's put on top makes it as hard as a rock. We're building in straw bale and the cinema room in particular will have a straw bale wall between it and the bedroom.

While we wait for the new house, we're in a 5 year old 'Rivergum' home. Quality wise it's a piece of sh*t. I stop my wife hanging pictures on the plasterboard walls because the walls will fall apart. The window panes are as thin as clingfilm. Any exposed metalwork is rusting. When it rains the metal downpipes echo drips because they have 90degree square corners halfway up the house.

I'd highly recommend people avoid the cookie-cutter house builders and use an independent builder and architect.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by stu:0
Dont think the missus would be to happy living in a caravan monthes on end whilst i built the whole thing Nice to know you can do it though. I was thinking more along the lines of fitting the kitchen, wire it, tiling that sort of thing

Stu
That's the downside of being an OB all your spare time, that could be leisure time, is taken up working on your house. You get 5 yrs to complete the dwelling, some people need extensions of time as they build their home using a couple of weeks annual leave each year. They tend to get a large steel shed erected for a few grand and live in it for the duration
Your right it takes a certain breed to be prepared to live in a shed or caravan for a few years, my o/h wouldn't ever go for it either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.