Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New here, moving to Queensland soon (hopefully!)

New here, moving to Queensland soon (hopefully!)

Old Sep 10th 2006, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

sharron2074 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New here, moving to Queensland soon (hopefully!)

Hi,

My name is sharron, I am married with 3 kids, aged 13, 4 and 10 months.
We got our Visas in May (designated area, skilled, sponsered) about 12 months since we first started the process.

We have had a buyer for our house since April and after nearly 6 stressful months we are STILL waiting to exchange contracts (long story but we have had so many delays with the house sale , glad we decided to put the house on the market before we actually got the visas).
I don't know what was more stressful, applying for the visas or selling the house!!!

We should be exchanging contracts this week, then we can FINALLY book our removals and flights.
We are moving to Bundaberg, Queensland. Taking a trip to see friends in the U.S. before going to OZ, so hope to be there for beginning of Nov.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New here, moving to Queensland soon (hopefully!)

Originally Posted by sharron2074
Hi,

My name is sharron, I am married with 3 kids, aged 13, 4 and 10 months.
We got our Visas in May (designated area, skilled, sponsered) about 12 months since we first started the process.

We have had a buyer for our house since April and after nearly 6 stressful months we are STILL waiting to exchange contracts (long story but we have had so many delays with the house sale , glad we decided to put the house on the market before we actually got the visas).
I don't know what was more stressful, applying for the visas or selling the house!!!

We should be exchanging contracts this week, then we can FINALLY book our removals and flights.
We are moving to Bundaberg, Queensland. Taking a trip to see friends in the U.S. before going to OZ, so hope to be there for beginning of Nov.
Good luck and all the best
Old Sep 10th 2006, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Hi Sharron and welcome to this site, sounds like you've had a bit of a tough time with your house, good luck on completion.

We have been in Queensland now for 10 weeks and love it, we are in the Forest Lake about 5 hours I think from Bundaberg Have you been over here before?, we hadn't just sold up everything we owned and got on the plane, so far we've had a great time, I have never met such friendly people as there are here. We love it, we have 2 kids 8yrs and 3yrs they are settling well and tell us almost everyday they love Oz!!!.

Good luck to you all, you'll love it!!

Sadie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Sep 11th 2006, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome.

Sounds like a stressful time on the house front......you'll need the nice sunny relaxing Bundy weather when u get there.

Good luck with everything.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Hi there,

many thanks for the warm welcome.

Sadie, yes we where there christmas 2004, my SIL lives in Bundy so we where over there visiting her. We loved it so as soon as we came back we started looking into moving there too.

My 13 Y.O. son is n't too keen to go but I'm sure he will soon settle in once there, he has a cousin the same age so that will help.

We sure have had a lot of stress with the house sale, just waiting to hear that we can exchange contracts this week, then it will be a mad panic to book removals/flights etc., still it will be worth it once we finally get there
Old Sep 14th 2006, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say hi, and I hope things work out soon. At least you have your visas, that is one big stressful hurdle out the way!

Good luck with it all
Suzi
Old Sep 14th 2006, 3:51 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

good luck guys. We had the same problem as you..it took us nearly 5 months to sort out house sale...thought about pulling out and starting again, but eventually you get there in the end, so chin up and all the best..
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulrachel
good luck guys. We had the same problem as you..it took us nearly 5 months to sort out house sale...thought about pulling out and starting again, but eventually you get there in the end, so chin up and all the best..

Hi there,

Well we FINALLY exchanged contracts on the house yesterday so was able to book removals.
We complete on sept 25th, removals are coming to get our stuff next week, we then are staying with relatives for about a week before leaving for a trip to see friends in the states before heading onto Australia.
Should get to OZ beginning of Nov, staying with relatives until we find a place.

Going to book flights today such a lot to organise in a short space of time. Now it is really sinking in that we are actually emigrating!!!

Got to fill in all those customs forms for the removals , not looking forward to that, anyone have any problems with customs?
Old Sep 15th 2006, 2:03 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

Well we FINALLY exchanged contracts on the house yesterday so was able to book removals.
We complete on sept 25th, removals are coming to get our stuff next week, we then are staying with relatives for about a week before leaving for a trip to see friends in the states before heading onto Australia.
Should get to OZ beginning of Nov, staying with relatives until we find a place.

Going to book flights today such a lot to organise in a short space of time. Now it is really sinking in that we are actually emigrating!!!

Got to fill in all those customs forms for the removals , not looking forward to that, anyone have any problems with customs?
only problem we had with customs was our Christmas Tree...they really don't like them or the trimmings...but one bag of trimmings got through OK, the other bag disappeared,,,and they wanted $60 to clean our tree, i said forget it...then they gave us it back anyway customs are strange people.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulrachel
only problem we had with customs was our Christmas Tree...they really don't like them or the trimmings...but one bag of trimmings got through OK, the other bag disappeared,,,and they wanted $60 to clean our tree, i said forget it...then they gave us it back anyway customs are strange people.
Another question regarding customs, did you declare any new items under 12 months old? I have some kids flat pack furniture and a new dolls pram and a few kids toys, and a DVD player I got from e-bay but it is new. Just wondering if i should declare them or not? Got to fill in the unaccompanied goods statement tomorrow. Should I be honest or not???

Anyone not declare stuff & got caught out?
Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Another question regarding customs, did you declare any new items under 12 months old? I have some kids flat pack furniture and a new dolls pram and a few kids toys, and a DVD player I got from e-bay but it is new. Just wondering if i should declare them or not? Got to fill in the unaccompanied goods statement tomorrow. Should I be honest or not???

Anyone not declare stuff & got caught out?
Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Don't know what others think but I don't think I would, how could customs prove how long you'd had your stuff? we have brought stuff to take, ( still boxed ) and admittedly it will probably be over 12 months before we get there, but it will still look the same as yours in a box does that make sense think I need to go to bed

N.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by curly
Don't know what others think but I don't think I would, how could customs prove how long you'd had your stuff? we have brought stuff to take, ( still boxed ) and admittedly it will probably be over 12 months before we get there, but it will still look the same as yours in a box does that make sense think I need to go to bed

N.
Yeah, I know what you mean but it says goods have to be over 12 months old and used so I guess what they are saying is that even if they are over 12 months old but have not been used they will class them as new anyway. So anything that looks new e.g still in original boxes could be charged duty on if they think it is new.
My husband says don't bother to declare but I am too honest, but having said that it is his name on the form anyway (LOL)!

Good night, I should get to bed too
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah, I know what you mean but it says goods have to be over 12 months old and used so I guess what they are saying is that even if they are over 12 months old but have not been used they will class them as new anyway. So anything that looks new e.g still in original boxes could be charged duty on if they think it is new.
My husband says don't bother to declare but I am too honest, but having said that it is his name on the form anyway (LOL)!

Good night, I should get to bed too
Oh right!!!! didn't know that have to get them out of packaging to go then!!!! thanks for the info