Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New here - Interested in Adelaide

New here - Interested in Adelaide

Old Feb 15th 2016, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

TeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond repute
Smile New here - Interested in Adelaide

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum. My husband and I are from Scotland but currently live in NY (Was a freezing cold -20f yesterday and snowing today!!!! ) Anyways...I'm just about to apply for my Australian Citizenship, my dad was born in Australia and moved to Scotland with his mum several years later and so through birth I have come to find I'm eligible. (If anyone knows different feel free to let me know) Just waiting on my dad's original birth certificate coming through from his mum in Florida and then I have everything I need to apply.

I will be coming with my husband of a little over 4 years and I still need to look into that process (one of the reasons I joined this forum) and bringing my two lovely dogs

We're thinking of Adelaide since we both have family that live only 30 minutes apart and my husband has some great job connections. If any of you (surely a few live in Adelaide ) have any insight into life in Adelaide it would be most welcome. I myself have never been but my husband has for a few months and never having been to NY didn't stop me coming here so why the hell not

I will post questions as they arise I just wanted to introduce myself and my story before commenting/reading/asking anything
Old Feb 15th 2016, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Here

Welcome to BE and the Oz forums.

There a few people in Adelaide... OldSparkles and Rasen. I'm sure they will be able to provided some info about it.

I wish you well for your move.

It's a lot warmer over here.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

TeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamMo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Here

Thank you for the warm welcome

The weather and a better family support system are our two main drivers. We've been talking about it for a year and have finally started contacting my husbands work prospects, getting lists of timelines for the dogs and speaking to our family

I'm going in with my eyes wide open after closing my eyes and jumping for NY haha

I look forward to OldSparkles and Rasen's replies
Old Feb 15th 2016, 10:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: New here - Interested in Adelaide

Welcome from me also.

Hopefully Old.Sparkles will be along in a bit.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Sorry to be a pain in the butt when I'm so new. I thought I had clearly outlined I will have citizenship in my original post but I guess not. I really only wanted to say hi and maybe hear from one or two Adelaide expats who might tell me a good place to get an English fry up and the like...

Thank You
Old Feb 15th 2016, 11:13 pm
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

We currently live in Broken Hill (5.5 hours drive from ADL) but visit ADL frequently and aim to move there permanently at some point. We love the place, it mostly has more of a big country town feel than that of a city. A series of great beach suburbs each with its own vibe, plenty of great parks and stuff for kids. Otherwise offers all the things you'd expect - sport, entertainment and food. Travel is easy and the airport a delight to use compared to other cities in Australia. You have the wine regions and gateways to the outback near by as well as the Adelaide hills. Nice climate generally too. We're big fans as you can see but Old Sparkles etc will be able to fill you in better than I can

Last edited by DML; Feb 16th 2016 at 12:45 am.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Hi DML and a big thank you for your reply

What is making you want to move from broken hill if you don't mind me asking?

After the craziness of NYC I'm really looking forward to the 'big country town feel' you describe. Our amazing family members are giving us lots of information but they aren't expats/are a lot older than my husband and I so it's always good to hear from expats thanks
Old Feb 16th 2016, 12:45 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here for 3 years now and enjoy life in the Outback. If we do move it will be for the kids - educational issues as they get older and my wife's need to be by the sea. She's from a Scottish Island and misses the ocean
Old Feb 16th 2016, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

That's something I can relate to. My heart is happier near the ocean
Old Feb 17th 2016, 6:32 am
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

We've been here a little over 3 years now. We live in the southern foothills about 15-20kms out of the CBD. Old.Sparkles is oop north, about an hour out of the city but really handy for the Barossa and all its wineries

What do you want to know about Adelaide? We like it, but TBH don't go into the city that often, even though OH works there.

We like our location as we are close enough to everything but far enough out to be quiet and peaceful. We are about 15 mins from a decent beach, less than 5 minutes from the Hills and McLaren Vale and the southern wineries are 20 mins away.

We came here primarily for the climate as neither of us like humidity. After 3 years, we are quite acclimatised now. It does get hot (over 35oC is classed as hot here), but even though we had a good 2-3 week period over Christmas where is was hot every day, we actually didn't have to have the AC on too much even though we have a 2 storey house. It wil be interesting to see how warm/cold this house is in the winter as we only moved into it in October. Housing in Adelaide, and the rest of Australia really, is woefully inadequate on the insulation front, so be prepared to feel the cold in winter. It may be a lovely 15-20 degrees outside, but after a few days of those temps and nighttime temps of around 4-6 degrees, your house WILL feel colder.

If you want more specific info, just let me know. Just don't let everyone else know. We want Adelaide to remain quiet and small. It's part of its charm!
Old Feb 20th 2016, 12:05 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Late to the party - oops.

Coming up on 3 years here and been oop north for the past year.

Can't help with English brekkies but def do the country town bit lol - I'm in Gawler which is on the edge of the Barossa and work at one of the wineries.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Susan41658 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! Sorry to jump on the band wagon but I'm moving to Adelaide too. My boyfriend has lived and worked there for nearly 3 years now and I have just arrived back (yesterday) from my 8th trip out there since he moved.

I love Adelaide. I've not had the opportunity to visit any other part of Australia but he has lived in Perth before for 2 years and enjoys to south much better than Western Australia. I find everyone so friendly and willing to help, and the metro is so much cheaper and easier than the UKs!

Like I said, I have only visited on holiday so I don't know much about the living costs completely but I have a rough idea from chatting to my boyfriend on a daily basis.

I'm sure the girls above would be able to help a lot more than me with your questions but feel free to ask and I'm happy to try and help � ����