Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

new to form looking for advice

new to form looking for advice

Old Jul 5th 2005, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

peterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant future
Question new to form looking for advice

Hi allwe are hoping to be in brisbane august 2006 we are looking for
advice on areas to live and schools als we are comming over for a look around in march/april 2006 trying to narow down areas to check out being abble to meet any one from this sight when in brsbane for advice would be great will probabley boar you all to death now asking silly questions but dont seem silly to us

thanks peter
Old Jul 5th 2005, 7:23 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all
Default Re: new to form looking for advice

Originally Posted by peterinblack
advice on areas to live and schools als we are comming over for a look around in march/april 2006 trying to narow down areas to check out being abble to meet any one from this sight when in brsbane for advice would be great will probabley boar you all to death now asking silly questions but dont seem silly to us

thanks peter
Hi Peter
sorry can't help as not heading that wat, just wanted to say welcome to the forum and good luck
Carole
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:48 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peter, Brisbane is a pretty big place, if you give us an idea of what you need eg. old/new home, brick/timber, lowset/highset, commute distances & where you are likely to be working, whether you have kids or need schools, cafes/restaurants, budget etc we might be able to give you some ideas.

Ohh & welcome to the forum .
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

mattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to beholdmattmc is a splendid one to behold

thanks peter
Hi Peter,

A little reading before you go may help.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=books

good luck
mattmc
Old Jul 5th 2005, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

peterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mattmc
Hi Peter,

A little reading before you go may help.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=books

good luck
mattmc
mrs dagboy

my wife will be working in queen st so looking for suburb with in 1 hour
preferably a brick house looking to rent first.
two children 11&7 so need a good school prefeabley with more expats
i will be finding work when i arrive in brisbane hope to checkout schools and areas to live in march/april look to pay up to $300 a week or less for rent
also a priority for me is a good bowling club near by (got to get your priortys right)
Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Why is the number of 'expats' important? It seems curious for that to be a factor if you are looking to migrate and become an Australian.

Jeremy
Old Jul 5th 2005, 10:54 pm
Ona
Just Joined

Ona is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: new to form looking for advice

I THINK THE SAME, WHY YOU WANT A PLACE OR A SCHOOL WITH MANY EXPATS??? AUSTRALIA IS AN INMIGRANT S COUNTRY, THAT MEANS PEOPLE OF DIFFERENT CULTURES LIVING ALL TOGETHER. ASIATICS, LATINS, EXPATS...
DIVERSITY SHOULD BE SEEN AS STHING GOOD, AND GHETOS AS SOMETHING NOT SO GOOD.
WE CAN LEARN A LOT FROM OTHER CULTURES AND THAT WILL MAKE US RICHER PERSONS, BUT THE BEST THING IS THATWE WILL BE OPENMINDED!!!

REGARDS,
ONA.

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why is the number of 'expats' important? It seems curious for that to be a factor if you are looking to migrate and become an Australian.

Jeremy
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Peter

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

You will find loads of valuable information here!

As you can see by comments already made, you have to be careful what you say - or someone will 'nit pick', and innocent remark can fuel such fury Honestly guys! Give Peter a break - he is a new poster after all - dont put him off!

You are just looking for a 'safety net' for your kids when you first arrive in Australia - natural enough They will meet so many new people from all over the world - it will open their minds to many different cultures which definately is a good thing for their future in OZ. Kids are kids no matter what nationality they are thats the good thing - its only when they grow up they get all those 'hang ups'

Feel free to send me or BIX a pm with any questions - more than happy to help if we can!

Good luck with the 'process'

Take care
Gill
Old Jul 6th 2005, 1:11 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

mrs dagboy

my wife will be working in queen st so looking for suburb with in 1 hour
preferably a brick house looking to rent first.
i will be finding work when i arrive in brisbane hope to checkout schools and areas to live in march/april look to pay up to $300 a week or less for rent
also a priority for me is a good bowling club near by (got to get your priortys right)
Still hard to suggest somewhere, as I said Brisbane is a big place :scared: .

By bowling club, do you mean lawn bowls? If so, many areas have them, so Im sure you could find somewhere not too far away.

As for suburbs & areas, perhaps try Algester/Calamvale (I know theres a good lawn bowls club at Algester, my uncle belonged for years), Cleveland/Wellington Point & bayside area, perhaps Murrumba Downs? . I would suggest closer to the city like Morningside, Carina etc, but if you want a brick house, you are generally limited to further out as alot of the houses closer to the city are wooden (& most of the brick houses that are closer to the city are older style).

If you want some specific info on the bayside area you can check out http://s6.invisionfree.com/BrisbaneBaysideBrits/

Hope that helps?
Old Jul 6th 2005, 1:15 am
Rocket Scientist

Just thought of somewhere else that might suit - try the Centenary suburbs ie Jindalee, Mt Ommaney, WestLake, Jamboree Heights. Plenty of brick houses (old & new) nice area, close to the city, shops etc. Only disadvantage is there is no train service (only from Oxley or Indooroopilly), but there is a very efficient bus service that runs to the city.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 1:58 am
ABCDiamond

thanks peter
And another welcome from me too.

Loads of people here to steer you in varied directions

Areas are difficult to choose, as it does come down to each individuals thinking, and requirements.

My own choice was going East, nice and comparatively quiet over here