Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

new email account?

new email account?

Old Aug 14th 2007, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

phillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant future
Default new email account?

This may seem like a stupid question but can somebody help?

Obviously when we leave the uk then our broadband connection will cease, therefore our email ad will be non existent. What is everyone else doing about contacts with family and friends?

Regards

Sharon
Old Aug 14th 2007, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: new email account?

Originally Posted by phillip&sharon

Obviously when we leave the uk then our broadband connection will cease, therefore our email ad will be non existent. What is everyone else doing about contacts with family and friends?

Regards

Sharon
Set up a new domain etc at http://www.one.com/. That way you're not tied to an ISP email address, you can have as many addresses on your domain that you can think of. The domains also come with an easy to use blog application
Old Aug 14th 2007, 2:14 pm
Legal immigrant

Lee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond reputeLee Family has a reputation beyond repute

Try gmail. www.gmail.com. you can access it from anywhere there is an internet connection

Jon
Old Aug 14th 2007, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Regards

Sharon
We all have msn email addresses and they are not linked to your ISP as ours is virgin. Anyone can easily set one up. Also if you have one with msn you can use messenger to talk to friends and rellies at home instantly.

Sarah
Old Aug 14th 2007, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad.chef
We all have msn email addresses and they are not linked to your ISP as ours is virgin. Anyone can easily set one up. Also if you have one with msn you can use messenger to talk to friends and rellies at home instantly.

Sarah
we use that as well'

getting the inlaws an account so we can chat on line wehen we move to perth
I am the walrus.. face it

carlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud of

I'm gonna just set up a GMAIL account from Google. simple, easy, and free!

It can also be checked from anywhere with an internet connection.

You do need an invite from an existing member to get an account, which I am happy to let you have if you want one, just PM me.
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice

Regards

Sharon
I am currently with AOL which we will cancel next month before we leave. The lady who I spoke to told me that although we would be cancelling the broadband we would still be able to access our AOL email account.

Might be worth asking your supplier if this is the case with your account.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

phillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant futurephillip&sharon has a brilliant future

Thanks all for your info, will email tiscali, and i also do have a msn which i forgot!

Cheers for that!
Sharon
Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:18 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlosthegerbil
You do need an invite from an existing member to get an account, which I am happy to let you have if you want one, just PM me.
You don't need an "invite" anymore to get yourself a gmail account. You can sign up straight from their web site: http://www.gmail.com

Gina
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:19 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Originally Posted by GinaUK
You don't need an "invite" anymore to get yourself a gmail account. You can sign up straight from their web site: http://www.gmail.com

Gina
Gmail is good, although there's some odd "google-analytics" cookies hanging around in the background as far as i can tell. I think they're tracking your internet usage. It's ok though, i've covered my whole room in tin foil

Seriously though, if you do use Gmail, and are worried about privacy, then i'd recommend using a totally separate browser for Gmail, or even use a POP mail client (unless you need all your mail accessible from multiple locations). That way, any tracking will only track that you're using Gmail!

I've also just discovered "labels" and "filters" in Gmail, which allows you to kind of use it like you had folders. Set a new label, and filter each type/group of email(s) to get tagged with the new label, then to easily see all the emails labelled that way, just click the label (from the green labels panel on the left)!

That may've been obvious to others, but i've just worked it out and am well chuffed
Old Aug 14th 2007, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light4Reids is a glorious beacon of light

We had the same problem. With Bt at the mo and will loose our email account when we cancel. We have set up a hotmail account which like all the others is free.

Tasha x
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Urno
Gmail is good, although there's some odd "google-analytics" cookies hanging around in the background as far as i can tell. I think they're tracking your internet usage. It's ok though, i've covered my whole room in tin foil

Seriously though, if you do use Gmail, and are worried about privacy, then i'd recommend using a totally separate browser for Gmail, or even use a POP mail client (unless you need all your mail accessible from multiple locations). That way, any tracking will only track that you're using Gmail!

I've also just discovered "labels" and "filters" in Gmail, which allows you to kind of use it like you had folders. Set a new label, and filter each type/group of email(s) to get tagged with the new label, then to easily see all the emails labelled that way, just click the label (from the green labels panel on the left)!

That may've been obvious to others, but i've just worked it out and am well chuffed
I've had a gmail account for a while but still find it a bit confusing.

I have a yahoo.com.au Very straightforward for internet dummies like me.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

I'm a yahoo user as well, and its fabby. Think others (I have tried google mail/ gmail and msn) are just a little less user friendly.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 10:23 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I disagree with many of the suggestions above.

a yahoo.com.au (make sure its the australian version) offers free mail which can obviously be used from any browser. However, it is superior since it offers free POP3 downloading which means you can use Outlook, Entourage, Mac Mail or any email client you have on your machine which is usually a lot better than the online mail sites and of course ad free and moves with your computer anywhere.

So you get the best of both worlds. POP3 mail and internet mail, meaning you never have to change your email address again.

Last time I checked this was only available to the australian yahoo though so make sure you sign up with them and then activate your POP3 mail option in the account.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:13 am
I am the walrus.. face it

carlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud ofcarlosthegerbil has much to be proud of

Just noticed that Gmail now also offers POP3 access, so you can use your mail client program (Outlook, Eudora, Thunderbird etc) to download your emails from Gmail.

I find it intersting that so many people say they have found Gmail difficult to use, personally I think it is fantastic, especially the archiving and labelling features that mean you don't ever have to delete anything.

Another useful feature is the integrated GoogleTalk function, which is similar to MSN Messenger except it is embedded into the webpage, so if you are into Instant Messaging, this is a cool thing to have combined with your Gmail account to instantly talk to relatives and friends, without having to carry around your laptop or PC wherever you go (Internet Cafe's, airports etc).

Horses for courses I suppose.

Last edited by carlosthegerbil; Aug 15th 2007 at 8:17 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.