Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New electrical goods still in boxes...

New electrical goods still in boxes...

Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough
Default New electrical goods still in boxes...

How strict are the Australian custom with brand new electrical goods that are still in their boxes? We are moving to Sydney and I have purchased a few items (i.e. kettle, handheld blender; etc.) for the trip. On the custom form, I am supposed to declare all goods that have been purchased within the last 12 months. Would I get tax on them? Or should I just remove the items from the boxes? Thanks.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:41 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: New electrical goods still in boxes...

less than 12 months old means import taxes.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by coolshadows
less than 12 months old means import taxes.
So I should just remove them from the boxes and pretend that they are so thoroughly clean!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wouldn't worry, unless you are bringing in 10 new Dysons I don't think they will care about 1 or 2 new pieces for your own use.

Peter
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

They won't care about a few kitchen items. Just make sure they've been removed from the boxes at least once, and there are no "remove before use" stickers anywhere, and they won't be able to prove anything.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

I was wondering the same i have many items as in electrical,furniture,general house hold items and gadgets/boys toys many still in boxes and stuff still flat packed,i have been buying stuff over the past year to take over with me,as many a number of items i have in my home are in need of being replaced etc and dont plan on taking,some i will and some other stuff i probably buy to get the use of the container.
Some items i picked up in sales or got items cheap,like several mirrors,dinning table,plasma stand,tables etc all still boxed am i best to have all unboxed and have shippers when i move pack them again or would i be ok to just send items as is.

Also what items should i not take with me,not recommended,not really taking any outside stuff,more household items,anything you think would not be worth taking and best buying over there.
Like washing machine for example its a good one,fancy one,but had it for a little while,if i remember right they dont have the washing machine in the kitchen like here in uk its in another room hey so i would be ok with that?No need to worry about is it too big for kitchen.

I heard a fridge is not a good idea? why?
Is it something to do that they get damaged on way over?they cant stand the temps over there,if it was to end up being a fridge for the garage then why not.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
I heard a fridge is not a good idea? why?
Is it something to do that they get damaged on way over?they cant stand the temps over there,if it was to end up being a fridge for the garage then why not.
When it gets 40+ degrees, it'll also be bloody hot in the garage or anywhere in the house without a/c. Fridges sold in the UK aren't generally made for temperatures as high as fridges sold in Australia - meaning it could well stop working after a few days of 35+ weather.