Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Country, New Lifestyle But Are You Happy In Your New Job?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: Do you enjoy your job in Oz or do you hate working here?
Yes, I enjoy my job in Oz
75.00%
No, I hate working in Oz
25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

New Country, New Lifestyle But Are You Happy In Your New Job?

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all
Default New Country, New Lifestyle But Are You Happy In Your New Job?

I thought it would be interesting to find out how many of you out there are really happy in your jobs since arriving in Australia?

If you do get more job satisfaction working in Oz give reasons
likewise if you really hate working here it would be interesting to hear why?
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Lord..what a good question.

I'm a bit of a mixed bag, I don't like my job because I don't get enough job satisfaction from it and don't find it challenging enough. The management aren't interested in people furthering themselves as long as they are doing their job well then that is fine. The company I work for also has the market in their hands so they aren't really bothered about satisfying the customers which really pees mee off.

Saying that, I left a busy stressful job in Uk and was determined to take it easier here but doing about 2 hrs of proper work a day is a joke. It is so hard to occupy yourself!! I could look for another job but admin work is poorly paid here and I'm on above average admin wages in this job so I'd be stupid to work harder for less money. But since I'm packing in to have another child this year it will hopefully be a distant memory soon.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 9:55 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Country, New Lifestyle But Are You Happy In Your New Job?

I have joined a company who is going through major growh. They are having to move to big company ideas. It presents a lot of challenges and perhaps I am not that far removed from my old life as I thought I may be (i.e. in a 9-5 job working with software.) That said I didn't expect to get straight into the field I was working in and came out with a pesimistic view as opposed to blindly expecting to walk into the same niche field. That said I am happy with the job and its a great feeling of security.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

The thread title presupposes that people have a job and infers that a job comes along fairly easy. The reality is that this is not the case for everybody - it look me over three months to get a job. I know people out here that took longer than this.

Steve
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 1:27 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by cookies
The thread title presupposes that people have a job and infers that a job comes along fairly easy. The reality is that this is not the case for everybody - it look me over three months to get a job. I know people out here that took longer than this.

Steve
Oh yes, to right!!
Took me 12 months to get it and just three weeks to get rid of it. Hated every minute of it.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I'm very happy with my job....

Lady of leisure ...
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

I love my job and for me it has a lot to do with the fact that I really like the person who employs me. Also I have branched out and have been given the opportunity to train in bookeeping which I surprisingly find enjoyable.

Hubby on the other hand hates what he is doing partly because he is now working for somebody else where in the U.K. he had his own business but also some of the work that he only had to do some of the time and that he loathed doing in the U.K. he is doing all of the time here.
Long sentence sorry, not in a very good writing frame of mind.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by podgypossum

Lady of leisure ...
I'm pretty happy too....

Man of leisure

But slowly giving in to the need to do something, maybe by this time next year i'll be doing something part-time

But only if I enjoy it

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:57 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally posted by podgypossum

Lady of leisure ...

Bludger

jib
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 10:09 am

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by PADDAD
I love my job and for me it has a lot to do with the fact that I really like the person who employs me. Also I have branched out and have been given the opportunity to train in bookeeping which I surprisingly find enjoyable.

Hubby on the other hand hates what he is doing partly because he is now working for somebody else where in the U.K. he had his own business but also some of the work that he only had to do some of the time and that he loathed doing in the U.K. he is doing all of the time here.
Long sentence sorry, not in a very good writing frame of mind.

How horrible for hubby!It's easier to look for something else when you are employed though

Nikki x
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jib
Bludger

jib

Bludger?????.... i'll have you know i serve a very important role in life.....

I just havent worked out what it is yet
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

dobbo is an unknown quantity at this point

I walked into my job as a Beauty Therapist and have only lasted 2 months. Hated almost every day although my clients were lovely . The atmosphere in the salon was awful both hostile and condescending. Having worked in Beauty Therapy for 18 yrs I have never been treated so badly. Have now breathed a sigh of relief since I quit although will now be worried about the money side.
Having spoken to an ex employee just to check that it wasnt a pom/taff thing I was assured that it was the way that the salon has always been run(and the reason she left). And that several other salons around the area are run in the same manner. Bit disillusioned with working here as my qualifications were ignored and my every action watched and questioned by the non beauty background manageress sorry for the whinge had to get it off my chest.
regards
juliet
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 3:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by dobbo
I walked into my job as a Beauty Therapist and have only lasted 2 months. Hated almost every day although my clients were lovely . The atmosphere in the salon was awful both hostile and condescending. Having worked in Beauty Therapy for 18 yrs I have never been treated so badly. Have now breathed a sigh of relief since I quit although will now be worried about the money side.
Having spoken to an ex employee just to check that it wasnt a pom/taff thing I was assured that it was the way that the salon has always been run(and the reason she left). And that several other salons around the area are run in the same manner. Bit disillusioned with working here as my qualifications were ignored and my every action watched and questioned by the non beauty background manageress sorry for the whinge had to get it off my chest.
regards
juliet
If I was you, I would be considering setting up in competition !!

As it happens, my wife is talking about doing something like that part time, but she'd have to get qualified first !

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 5:24 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dobbo
Bit disillusioned with working here as my qualifications were ignored and my every action watched and questioned by the non beauty background manageress
juliet
Yep, exactly the same for me.
I have decided to go self employed again and have started doing up the study in anticipation!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Hevs
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Very happy in job. Work in mental health. Lots of differences to UK but that makes it interesting. Feel I am learning a lot. Colleagues friendly, idiosyncratic, entertaining, weird! Boss great.
Work part time. Salary good enough. Hours more per week than in UK though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.