New career

Old Oct 21st 2012, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Ian p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New career

Hi all,
We are arriving in perth at the end of January. I am and have been a plumber in the uk all my working life ( 24 years ) .
I've got a 176 pr visa and went through vetasses and have got my level 3 overseas provincial plumbers licence.
my main worry/ concern about our move is work.
in the uk I've been very lucky running my own plumbing business with work finding me ( don't advertise) .
i read / hear all these horror stories about uk plumbers not being able to find a plumbing job in Australia .
if I couldn't work as a plumber has anyone any suggestions of a different line of work I could do to support a family of 5.
i looked into being a postie but on $ 19-22 / hr I wouldn't be able to provide for everyone.
my wife who is a level 5 child minder will work once she has her licence .
Any suggestions would be appreciated as the worry is taking the shine off our move

many thanks
ian
Old Oct 21st 2012, 7:31 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New career

Child minder, you will do really well.

Plumber, be prepared to earn around $50 to $100 an hour.

Also be prepared to put yourself out there and accept jobs that no one wants, Wa is full of lazy ass tradies, once you get a opportunity you will have no further worries.

Originally Posted by Ian p
Hi all,
We are arriving in perth at the end of January. I am and have been a plumber in the uk all my working life ( 24 years ) .
I've got a 176 pr visa and went through vetasses and have got my level 3 overseas provincial plumbers licence.
my main worry/ concern about our move is work.
in the uk I've been very lucky running my own plumbing business with work finding me ( don't advertise) .
i read / hear all these horror stories about uk plumbers not being able to find a plumbing job in Australia .
if I couldn't work as a plumber has anyone any suggestions of a different line of work I could do to support a family of 5.
i looked into being a postie but on $ 19-22 / hr I wouldn't be able to provide for everyone.
my wife who is a level 5 child minder will work once she has her licence .
Any suggestions would be appreciated as the worry is taking the shine off our move

many thanks
ian
Old Oct 21st 2012, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Ian p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New career

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Child minder, you will do really well.

Plumber, be prepared to earn around $50 to $100 an hour.

Also be prepared to put yourself out there and accept jobs that no one wants, Wa is full of lazy ass tradies, once you get a opportunity you will have no further worries.
Thank you for your quick reply.
A plumber $ 50-100 that can't be on the books .
I'll certainly be looking as staying at home would be carnage .
Just loads of extra courses to do etc

Thank you again

Ian