Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The NEW British Council

The NEW British Council

Old Jun 13th 2003, 8:32 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The NEW British Council

It seems the British Council is doing a duff job of cultural exchange between Australia and the UK. Since this is the Lifestyle and Culture channel, I've tried to do my bit for cultural exchange.

The British Council seems fixated on Opera and Classical Music and such. Anyway I've given you Aunty Jack (70's Australia) and Joe Dolce (biggest single in Australia), so you should be prepared for the longest running Australian TV show...

Mr. Squiggle and Friends, easily Australia's longest-running television programme, turned 40 on July 1, 1999. Mr. Squiggle uses his pencil-nose to create recognisable drawings from children's squiggles, always drawing them upside-down.

"Everything's upside-down these days", Mr. Squiggle is often fond of saying.

The creation of Norman Hetherington, a former cartoonist for The Bulletin (he took over as head cartoonist from Norman Lindsay), Mr. Squiggle lives on the moon at 93 Crater Crescent. He travels to Earth in his trusty pet, Rocket, and is ably assisted by Bill Steamshovel, the grumpy Blackboard, Gus the Snail and a human helper.

Squiggle's current helper is Rebecca Hetherington, the show's sixth presenter, while Norman's wife, Margaret, has written all the scripts over the past 40 years. In a surprising twist, Squiggle's experiences in living on the moon have made the character a popular guest at science fiction conventions.

Norman was presented with an Order of Australia in 1990, saying, "this Order is in my family's honour".
Attached Thumbnails The NEW British Council-squiggle.gif  
Old Jun 13th 2003, 12:00 pm
Badge

let alone "The Wiggles".

My cousin has three kids. The songs are ingrained in my subconscious. eg. "Big, red car"

and "WAKE UP JEFF!"". (One of the cast is always 'asleep'.)

Local teenagers where he lives drive past and shout it too apparently.

badgers