Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New Aussie Lifestyle - Work 'til you Drop

New Aussie Lifestyle - Work 'til you Drop

Old Feb 24th 2004, 6:07 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Aussie Lifestyle - Work 'til you Drop

RETIRING at 65 would be a thing of the past under the Federal Government's new vision for the future of working Australia.

The radical rethink urges people to work harder and longer to prevent our rapidly ageing population bankrupting the nation.

To be unveiled today by Treasurer Peter Costello, the plan would enable people to wind down towards retirement.

Those who wanted to would be encouraged to keep working beyond the usual retirement age.

Mr Costello will release a Treasury discussion paper which says the best way to pay for pensions and health costs of a greying population is to create a bigger and more dynamic economy powered by higher incomes and productivity growth.

The paper rejects other potential "cures" such as increasing taxes, slashing government spending and running deficit budgets.

The Coalition is banking on today's announcements – including a Melbourne speech by Prime Minister John Howard on economic prosperity – to regain the policy running from Opposition Leader Mark Latham.

The PM set the scene yesterday for the Government's revamped workplace agenda by urging older workers to consider a gradual "change of pace" instead of taking early retirement.

"I think it's desirable that people, if they are able to do so, do work longer," he said. "I think we squander immense talent at too early an age.

"I think there has to be a cultural change . . . whereby people, perhaps they might have a change of pace when they get to a certain age, but still remain very usefully in the workforce."

Gradual phase-outs from work over a decade are used overseas. British Telecom provides a "decade of retirement" in which workers wind down with part-time work or reduced hours.

The ground-breaking proposals to be announced today by Mr Costello include:
PLANS for older Australians in physical jobs to reduce their hours or do less strenuous work as they pass retirement age.

GREATER use of individual contracts to make workplaces more flexible and family-friendly.

ENCOURAGEMENT for more people on the disability and single mothers' pension to return to the workforce – thereby raising more taxes.

INCENTIVES to draw down superannuation in a form of annuity instead of a lump sum.

The Treasury paper to be released by Mr Costello will update the 2002 "Intergenerational Report", which looked ahead to 2042 and found fewer people at work would mean less taxes to pay for an ageing population.

The update says there is no time to delay because those who will shoulder the tax burden in 40 years have already been born.

Sunshine to be taxed?
Old Feb 24th 2004, 6:39 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Are you voicing a personal opinion here, or is it just cut n paste info?
Old Feb 24th 2004, 6:47 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: New Aussie Lifestyle - Work 'til you Drop

Originally posted by Florida_03
RETIRING at 65 would be a thing of the past under the Federal Government's new vision for the future of working Australia.

The radical rethink urges people to work harder and longer to prevent our rapidly ageing population bankrupting the nation.

To be unveiled today by Treasurer Peter Costello, the plan would enable people to wind down towards retirement.

Those who wanted to would be encouraged to keep working beyond the usual retirement age.

Mr Costello will release a Treasury discussion paper which says the best way to pay for pensions and health costs of a greying population is to create a bigger and more dynamic economy powered by higher incomes and productivity growth.

The paper rejects other potential "cures" such as increasing taxes, slashing government spending and running deficit budgets.

The Coalition is banking on today's announcements – including a Melbourne speech by Prime Minister John Howard on economic prosperity – to regain the policy running from Opposition Leader Mark Latham.

The PM set the scene yesterday for the Government's revamped workplace agenda by urging older workers to consider a gradual "change of pace" instead of taking early retirement.

"I think it's desirable that people, if they are able to do so, do work longer," he said. "I think we squander immense talent at too early an age.

"I think there has to be a cultural change . . . whereby people, perhaps they might have a change of pace when they get to a certain age, but still remain very usefully in the workforce."

Gradual phase-outs from work over a decade are used overseas. British Telecom provides a "decade of retirement" in which workers wind down with part-time work or reduced hours.

The ground-breaking proposals to be announced today by Mr Costello include:
PLANS for older Australians in physical jobs to reduce their hours or do less strenuous work as they pass retirement age.

GREATER use of individual contracts to make workplaces more flexible and family-friendly.

ENCOURAGEMENT for more people on the disability and single mothers' pension to return to the workforce – thereby raising more taxes.

INCENTIVES to draw down superannuation in a form of annuity instead of a lump sum.

The Treasury paper to be released by Mr Costello will update the 2002 "Intergenerational Report", which looked ahead to 2042 and found fewer people at work would mean less taxes to pay for an ageing population.

The update says there is no time to delay because those who will shoulder the tax burden in 40 years have already been born.

Sunshine to be taxed?

I vaguely remember Britain talking about this some months back..............all gone quiet.

As some else said before me same s**t, different bucket

Jill

Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Dawn Adams will become famous soon enough

Thank you for posting. I was looking out for this information.

I'd like to reiterate my welcome to all you young migrants. May you enter Australia and prosper, thereby keeping alive a glimmer of hope that there might still be in the future, something called a pension.
Old Feb 24th 2004, 7:33 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Dawn Adams
Thank you for posting. I was looking out for this information.

I'd like to reiterate my welcome to all you young migrants. May you enter Australia and prosper, thereby keeping alive a glimmer of hope that there might still be in the future, something called a pension.
I sincerely hope not. State pensions (and many private pensions)
are an utter waste of money.