Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

New to all this!!

New to all this!!

Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:21 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 30
SarahJane is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New to all this!!

Hello..

Been offered a job in Sydney (subject to Visa approval)! All a bit daunting and suffering the usual ups and downs! Well I hope they are usual anyway!! Want to go one minute then don't the next...
Anyway..also after any advice on suitable areas to live (I am presuming I will go in the end!!) The job is based in the Castle Hill area but would prefer to live near the beach and a little more central if possible!!! Favourite areas are the Northern Beaches esp. around Manly..is this really commutable or am I being unrealistic??!!! Want to live somewhere quite lively and not too "family focussed" (no offence to the families out there!) as will be going it alone!!
Thanks in advance...
SarahJane is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:42 pm
  #2  
Master of verbal pish©
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 22,194
soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to all this!!

hello and welcome to the madhouse.
theres a few threads about sydney running now, have a wee gander at them for info
soapy© is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:15 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Mad Moggies R Us's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Northampton
Posts: 36
Mad Moggies R Us is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New to all this!!

Originally Posted by soapy
hello and welcome to the madhouse.
theres a few threads about sydney running now, have a wee gander at them for info
Hi SarahJane

Sorry I have no helpfull info for you, just though it was nice to say
" HELLO" from another
Sarah Jane
Mad Moggies R Us is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:19 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 56
willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to all this!!

Hello there

Castle Hill is a fair way out and I don't think you would want to be commuting there from Manly. For info Parramatta is actually the geographical centre of Sydney so that gives you some idea of how big it is.

Sorry not much help am I!

Will
willkerr is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:21 pm
  #5  
Master of verbal pish©
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 22,194
soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to all this!!

Originally Posted by willkerr
Hello there

Castle Hill is a fair way out and I don't think you would want to be commuting there from Manly. For info Parramatta is actually the geographical centre of Sydney so that gives you some idea of how big it is.

Sorry not much help am I!

Will
Parramatta rd = murder to drive through
soapy© is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:32 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 56
willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to all this!!

Originally Posted by soapy
Parramatta rd = murder to drive through
I didn't say live in Parramatta just that it was the geographical centre of Sydney.

The thing about traffic in Sydney is that it all depends in which direction you are travelling and at what time. I live in Waterloo and drive to the Northern Beaches for work but I'm one of only a handful that does so the traffic isn't bad. You might find getting to Castle Hill from Manly is ok once you get past everyone who is going to the City, same could be said of going from Parramatta.
willkerr is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:41 pm
  #7  
Master of verbal pish©
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 22,194
soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to all this!!

Originally Posted by willkerr
I didn't say live in Parramatta just that it was the geographical centre of Sydney.

The thing about traffic in Sydney is that it all depends in which direction you are travelling and at what time. I live in Waterloo and drive to the Northern Beaches for work but I'm one of only a handful that does so the traffic isn't bad. You might find getting to Castle Hill from Manly is ok once you get past everyone who is going to the City, same could be said of going from Parramatta.
good point,
new tip..... work where noone else will
soapy© is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:47 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 56
willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to all this!!

rofl!
willkerr is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:55 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 33
Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to all this!!

Originally Posted by SarahJane
Hello..

Been offered a job in Sydney (subject to Visa approval)! All a bit daunting and suffering the usual ups and downs! Well I hope they are usual anyway!! Want to go one minute then don't the next...
Anyway..also after any advice on suitable areas to live (I am presuming I will go in the end!!) The job is based in the Castle Hill area but would prefer to live near the beach and a little more central if possible!!! Favourite areas are the Northern Beaches esp. around Manly..is this really commutable or am I being unrealistic??!!! Want to live somewhere quite lively and not too "family focussed" (no offence to the families out there!) as will be going it alone!!
Thanks in advance...
Hi SarahJane,

What an exciting prospect! Castle Hill is a bit far out, but I guess you are going against the flow of traffic into the city.
Personally the Inner-West is best for me, but the lack of beach may not meet your needs.
However, I can recommend the Balmain, Rozelle and Drummoyne areas which have lovely harbourside walks. The cafes, restaurants and pubs are excellent, particularly Balmain and they are lovely safe inner city suburbs to live in. Manly isn't my cup-of-team personally, so our tastes may not be the same.
Kangablue is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:32 am
  #10  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to all this!!

Originally Posted by SarahJane
Hello..

Been offered a job in Sydney (subject to Visa approval)! All a bit daunting and suffering the usual ups and downs!
You need to ask the question "which visa?" if you've not done so already. If it's only a temporary visa, be aware of the issues you'll face:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447


Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:10 pm
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 30
SarahJane is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: New to all this!!

Originally Posted by Kangablue
Hi SarahJane,

What an exciting prospect! Castle Hill is a bit far out, but I guess you are going against the flow of traffic into the city.
Personally the Inner-West is best for me, but the lack of beach may not meet your needs.
However, I can recommend the Balmain, Rozelle and Drummoyne areas which have lovely harbourside walks. The cafes, restaurants and pubs are excellent, particularly Balmain and they are lovely safe inner city suburbs to live in. Manly isn't my cup-of-team personally, so our tastes may not be the same.
Thanks for all the responses so far!! Quite a few of you are mentioning how far out Castle Hill is? I did actually go there back in Feb whilst I was on holiday over in Sydney..didn't seem that far but maybe I was too much in holiday mode and have forgotten!! Anyone any idea on how long it would take to drive there from the city?? Hoping I can judge it on that?
Not too keen on the Paramatta areas really...inner west maybe? Lived in Glebe for 6 months back in 98 whilst on my WHV!! Just keep thinking would be good to be near the beach?
SarahJane is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:14 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 30
SarahJane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to all this!!

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need to ask the question "which visa?" if you've not done so already. If it's only a temporary visa, be aware of the issues you'll face:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447


Jeremy
Thanks for the info on the visa too! Looks like I have a lot to sort out?!
SarahJane is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:50 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Latona's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: mackay and loving it
Posts: 202
Latona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud of
Default Re: New to all this!!

hello and welcome.
this may or may not be helpful...
we stayed in manly last year and also the northern beaches, they were lovely . but I'm not sure about the commuting?sorry

Denise pater and family
Latona is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.