Reload this Page >

New to all this!!

New to all this!!

Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

SarahJane is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New to all this!!

Hello..

Been offered a job in Sydney (subject to Visa approval)! All a bit daunting and suffering the usual ups and downs! Well I hope they are usual anyway!! Want to go one minute then don't the next...
Anyway..also after any advice on suitable areas to live (I am presuming I will go in the end!!) The job is based in the Castle Hill area but would prefer to live near the beach and a little more central if possible!!! Favourite areas are the Northern Beaches esp. around Manly..is this really commutable or am I being unrealistic??!!! Want to live somewhere quite lively and not too "family focussed" (no offence to the families out there!) as will be going it alone!!
Thanks in advance...
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:42 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to all this!!

hello and welcome to the madhouse.
theres a few threads about sydney running now, have a wee gander at them for info
Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mad Moggies R Us is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by soapy
hello and welcome to the madhouse.
theres a few threads about sydney running now, have a wee gander at them for info
Hi SarahJane

Sorry I have no helpfull info for you, just though it was nice to say
" HELLO" from another
Sarah Jane
Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there

Castle Hill is a fair way out and I don't think you would want to be commuting there from Manly. For info Parramatta is actually the geographical centre of Sydney so that gives you some idea of how big it is.

Sorry not much help am I!

Will
Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:21 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willkerr
Hello there

Castle Hill is a fair way out and I don't think you would want to be commuting there from Manly. For info Parramatta is actually the geographical centre of Sydney so that gives you some idea of how big it is.

Sorry not much help am I!

Will
Parramatta rd = murder to drive through
Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soapy
Parramatta rd = murder to drive through
I didn't say live in Parramatta just that it was the geographical centre of Sydney.

The thing about traffic in Sydney is that it all depends in which direction you are travelling and at what time. I live in Waterloo and drive to the Northern Beaches for work but I'm one of only a handful that does so the traffic isn't bad. You might find getting to Castle Hill from Manly is ok once you get past everyone who is going to the City, same could be said of going from Parramatta.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:41 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by willkerr
I didn't say live in Parramatta just that it was the geographical centre of Sydney.

The thing about traffic in Sydney is that it all depends in which direction you are travelling and at what time. I live in Waterloo and drive to the Northern Beaches for work but I'm one of only a handful that does so the traffic isn't bad. You might find getting to Castle Hill from Manly is ok once you get past everyone who is going to the City, same could be said of going from Parramatta.
good point,
new tip..... work where noone else will
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

rofl!
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SarahJane
Hello..

Been offered a job in Sydney (subject to Visa approval)! All a bit daunting and suffering the usual ups and downs! Well I hope they are usual anyway!! Want to go one minute then don't the next...
Anyway..also after any advice on suitable areas to live (I am presuming I will go in the end!!) The job is based in the Castle Hill area but would prefer to live near the beach and a little more central if possible!!! Favourite areas are the Northern Beaches esp. around Manly..is this really commutable or am I being unrealistic??!!! Want to live somewhere quite lively and not too "family focussed" (no offence to the families out there!) as will be going it alone!!
Thanks in advance...
Hi SarahJane,

What an exciting prospect! Castle Hill is a bit far out, but I guess you are going against the flow of traffic into the city.
Personally the Inner-West is best for me, but the lack of beach may not meet your needs.
However, I can recommend the Balmain, Rozelle and Drummoyne areas which have lovely harbourside walks. The cafes, restaurants and pubs are excellent, particularly Balmain and they are lovely safe inner city suburbs to live in. Manly isn't my cup-of-team personally, so our tastes may not be the same.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahJane
Hello..

Been offered a job in Sydney (subject to Visa approval)! All a bit daunting and suffering the usual ups and downs!
You need to ask the question "which visa?" if you've not done so already. If it's only a temporary visa, be aware of the issues you'll face:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447

Jeremy
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: New to all this!!

Originally Posted by Kangablue
Hi SarahJane,

What an exciting prospect! Castle Hill is a bit far out, but I guess you are going against the flow of traffic into the city.
Personally the Inner-West is best for me, but the lack of beach may not meet your needs.
However, I can recommend the Balmain, Rozelle and Drummoyne areas which have lovely harbourside walks. The cafes, restaurants and pubs are excellent, particularly Balmain and they are lovely safe inner city suburbs to live in. Manly isn't my cup-of-team personally, so our tastes may not be the same.
Thanks for all the responses so far!! Quite a few of you are mentioning how far out Castle Hill is? I did actually go there back in Feb whilst I was on holiday over in Sydney..didn't seem that far but maybe I was too much in holiday mode and have forgotten!! Anyone any idea on how long it would take to drive there from the city?? Hoping I can judge it on that?
Not too keen on the Paramatta areas really...inner west maybe? Lived in Glebe for 6 months back in 98 whilst on my WHV!! Just keep thinking would be good to be near the beach?
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
You need to ask the question "which visa?" if you've not done so already. If it's only a temporary visa, be aware of the issues you'll face:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447

Jeremy
Thanks for the info on the visa too! Looks like I have a lot to sort out?!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Latona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud of

hello and welcome.
this may or may not be helpful...
we stayed in manly last year and also the northern beaches, they were lovely . but I'm not sure about the commuting?sorry

Denise pater and family