Reload this Page >

New (Ad)venture in Australia

New (Ad)venture in Australia

Old Feb 15th 2011, 10:40 am
Just Joined

npankhania is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New (Ad)venture in Australia

Hi,
We are seriously contemplating moving to Perth to settle down.

I have worked in London and Germany for over 25 years in building and construction as a Project Manager, having graduated in Civil Engineering, but we are keen to make the big move.

Talking to a number of agencies, it has been suggested that I fly on own to see if there are any potential contractors or consultants looking for experienced and reliable staff. Has anyone had any personal experience of this and is it advisable to do a speculative trip? This is because I do not have a working visa and an employer could offer provide sponsorship, so I'm led to believe.

The other main reason is to give my two youngest children (girl, 12 and boy, 10) a better chance to make a successful career playing golf. Australia would be place for obvious reasons. They both play for junior county in London.

I am thinking of travelling to Perth in end of February/early March and spend about 3 weeks there in WA.

I will appreciate any comments.

Regards,
Nilesh
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:14 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New (Ad)venture in Australia

G'day Nilesh.

There might be some useful links in this thread for you.....
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698806

Welcome to BE.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: New (Ad)venture in Australia

Many thanks.

I will take a look at these.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Do you qualify for a visa? Take a look at www.immi.gov.au and do the visa wizard first before doing anything else. There are age limits on skilled permanent visas and unless you're happy to go home after a few years a temporary 457 is not always the best option. And no matter what you might hear/read, the 457 is not an automatic pathway to PR.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

The approach suggested to you sounds like a last resort to me. If it is the last resort then so be it, maybe it is the right thing for you, but I would exhaust the other options first, are you not eligible for skilled migration.

Just as an aside, were you saying golf would be better in Australia because of the weather? I didnt know what obvious reason you meant. I used to live in Bermuda and found golf far preferable in UK, it was too hot to play for 8 months a year in Bermuda unless you could get the 7am tee off that everyone wants
Old Feb 16th 2011, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Dorothy/Bermudashorts,
As I am over 45, (only just!) and, therefore, I do not qualify for the skilled visa route. The 457 is the only one I can go for. I have had some responses from companies who may invite me over for an initial meet-up. Failing that, it would be a good idea to come over and get a better feel of places like Perth, Melbourne where demand is relatively high for my people with my experience.

In London, it is difficult for juniors to practice and play golf during the winter. It is hard enough for adults. I do know it can get hot during the day in Australia and make playing golf extremely tough. My children played in San Diego last year where temperatures were between 35-40 degrees c, which they found quite hard going. But one has to play in those conditions if you want to play well. With proper equipment such as umbrellas, trolleys, it can mitigate the effects of the sun.
I understand from people who have been to Perth that you can play golf all-year round, barring extreme weather.

Thanks for your comments.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:34 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Nilesh, there are also sponsored PR visas to consider.

RSMS and ENS I believe to be the most common.

Check them out here.....
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...-permanent.htm

If you do find a sponsor try to convince him to support one of these rather than a 457 temp visa.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Bix,
Thanks again for your invaluable advice.

I will look into this as well.

Regards,
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by npankhania
Bix,
Thanks again for your invaluable advice.

I will look into this as well.

Regards,
The rules for skilled migration are changing in July with the age going up to 50.

As for golf all year 'round? It's been too freakin hot to walk the dogs here for the last couple of weeks. I cannot imagine trying to play 18 holes of golf in this heat. Also bear in mind that winter is rainy season in Perth. Not your UK drizzly crap...Horizontal needle-like rain driven by gale force winds rain. When I lived in Canada I played at least twice a week from April to November. Since moving to Perth I've had my golf clubs out maybe twice.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: New (Ad)venture in Australia

Thanks Dorothy for your comments.

If things don't work out using the sponsored or 457 channel for visa then it might be worth waiting the few months and apply for the skills migration path as you mentioned.

I know it is not going to be easy playing in the sun and the intense heat but it is far more enjoyable than struggling in the wind and the rain and the snow.
However, I will heed these wise words and see what other options we have.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:37 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by npankhania
Thanks Dorothy for your comments.

If things don't work out using the sponsored or 457 channel for visa then it might be worth waiting the few months and apply for the skills migration path as you mentioned.

I know it is not going to be easy playing in the sun and the intense heat but it is far more enjoyable than struggling in the wind and the rain and the snow.
However, I will heed these wise words and see what other options we have.
I used to love winter golf in the snow. Orange ball for me and pink for my mum. It's much more preferable than the overwhelming heat.