Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Never mind telling the parents.........

Never mind telling the parents.........

Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Never mind telling the parents.........

What about asking the kids?

Some of you may have read enough of my initial postings to remember we are trying to decide whether to retire to NZ where my daughter has been resident for over 8 yrs.

We had discussed this in a general way with them but never actually asked daughter and son-in-law formally if they would agree to sponsor us. Mr A. said I was being ultra-sensitive, but reading some of the posts about parents on this forum can you wonder at it?

Well I have bitten the bullet and asked them outright is they will sponsor us because if not, we might as well forget the whole idea.

Delicate balance as I don't want her to feel she HAS to agree to sponsor us; so a very careful email to her to try and say, won't throw toys out of pram if they feel unable to agree.

But a few fingers crossed for me wouldn't hurt
Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:03 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Consider it done!!
Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

oooh Ailsa

Let us know what she says. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:09 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that I personally would jump at the chance if my parents had the same idea as you once we are over and settled in AUS.

I hope that your daughter realises the potential good times ahead and goes with the right decision.

Good Luck !
Old Feb 29th 2004, 8:46 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

All fingers plus toes crossed
Old Feb 29th 2004, 9:48 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no.........

this is going to turn into a nailbiting wait isnt it!!!????
I cant take the suspense....its like waiting for Bills visa!!!!!

Let us know AS SOON AS POSS Ailsa....I cant take another cliff hanger!!

everything crossed!

sue
Old Feb 29th 2004, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

debtay is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck I will keep fingers and toes crossed for you. If she has reservations about having you there just say that you'll be moving somewhere else in NZ and nowhere near where she's living!! I bet she misses you anyway.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the support but no reply yet

tiredwithtwins: I surely hope it not's going to take as long the visa application itself, but I did say in the email that I had sent it that way so they could discuss between themselves without being put on the spot.

debtay: Made that quite clear already. Apart from not wanting to live in Auckland anyway I would have hated my mother to have been living on my doorstep

Maybe that is why I am ultra sensitive about asking her.

Oh well - there are always 5month 3week holidays
Old Mar 1st 2004, 7:06 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to say, if it were my MIL, I'd say no. Not joking here, she's a witch.

But maybe you're not so bad.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 7:25 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pleasancefamily

Don we must share the same MIL
Old Mar 1st 2004, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by pleasancefamily

Thank you - I think

Old Mar 1st 2004, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Jack Daws
Don we must share the same MIL
No Jack - its mine
I am still waiting to someone to start I hate my MIL thread
Old Mar 1st 2004, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

neal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ailsa
Thanks for the support but no reply yet

tiredwithtwins: I surely hope it not's going to take as long the visa application itself, but I did say in the email that I had sent it that way so they could discuss between themselves without being put on the spot.

debtay: Made that quite clear already. Apart from not wanting to live in Auckland anyway I would have hated my mother to have been living on my doorstep

Maybe that is why I am ultra sensitive about asking her.

Oh well - there are always 5month 3week holidays
Hi Ailsa-my turn to give YOU some support now!
She'd be MAD not to agree so LOADS of positive sponsoring type vibes your way Mrs.N
Old Mar 1st 2004, 12:48 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ailsa
Thank you - I think

You sound all right to me.

My MIL, she has got a load of terrible habits - like...being there is the worst one I can think of. Bloody* irritating presence, if you get my drift.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Jenny Newbury is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Never mind telling the parents.........

Hi Ailsa,

Have just spoken with my parents about our emigration to Aus.
Whilst upset they were very supportive, as part of the conversation I introduced the idea of sponsoring them in the future if they wanted. I would love my parents to follow if they wanted and my hubby agrees too.

Here's hoping your family feel the same - I'm sure they will. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.