British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Never mind telling the parents......... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/never-mind-telling-parents-213823/)

Ailsa Feb 29th 2004 8:02 pm

Never mind telling the parents.........

What about asking the kids?

Some of you may have read enough of my initial postings to remember we are trying to decide whether to retire to NZ where my daughter has been resident for over 8 yrs.

We had discussed this in a general way with them but never actually asked daughter and son-in-law formally if they would agree to sponsor us. Mr A. said I was being ultra-sensitive, but reading some of the posts about parents on this forum can you wonder at it?

Well I have bitten the bullet and asked them outright is they will sponsor us because if not, we might as well forget the whole idea.

Delicate balance as I don't want her to feel she HAS to agree to sponsor us; so a very careful email to her to try and say, won't throw toys out of pram if they feel unable to agree.

But a few fingers crossed for me wouldn't hurt ;)

Pollster Feb 29th 2004 8:03 pm

Consider it done!!

debsy Feb 29th 2004 8:05 pm

oooh Ailsa

Let us know what she says. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

EssexNobby Feb 29th 2004 8:09 pm

I know that I personally would jump at the chance if my parents had the same idea as you once we are over and settled in AUS.

I hope that your daughter realises the potential good times ahead and goes with the right decision.

Good Luck ! :D

Vegemite Kids Feb 29th 2004 8:46 pm

All fingers plus toes crossed

tiredwithtwins Feb 29th 2004 9:48 pm

Oh no.........

this is going to turn into a nailbiting wait isnt it!!!????
I cant take the suspense....its like waiting for Bills visa!!!!!

Let us know AS SOON AS POSS Ailsa....I cant take another cliff hanger!!

everything crossed!

sue:D :D :D

debtay Feb 29th 2004 10:08 pm

Best of luck I will keep fingers and toes crossed for you. If she has reservations about having you there just say that you'll be moving somewhere else in NZ and nowhere near where she's living!!;) ;) I bet she misses you anyway.

Ailsa Mar 1st 2004 6:39 am

Thanks for the support :) but no reply yet :(

tiredwithtwins: I surely hope it not's going to take as long the visa application itself, but I did say in the email that I had sent it that way so they could discuss between themselves without being put on the spot.

debtay: :) Made that quite clear already. Apart from not wanting to live in Auckland anyway I would have hated my mother to have been living on my doorstep

Maybe that is why I am ultra sensitive about asking her.

Oh well - there are always 5month 3week holidays :rolleyes:

Don Mar 1st 2004 7:06 am

Have to say, if it were my MIL, I'd say no. Not joking here, she's a witch.

But maybe you're not so bad.

Jack The Lad Mar 1st 2004 7:25 am

Originally posted by pleasancefamily

Don we must share the same MIL ;)

Ailsa Mar 1st 2004 7:26 am

Originally posted by pleasancefamily

Thank you - I think :confused:

:D

debsy Mar 1st 2004 11:50 am

Originally posted by Jack Daws
Don we must share the same MIL ;)
No Jack - its mine:D
I am still waiting to someone to start I hate my MIL thread:p

neal Mar 1st 2004 12:03 pm

Originally posted by Ailsa
Thanks for the support :) but no reply yet :(

tiredwithtwins: I surely hope it not's going to take as long the visa application itself, but I did say in the email that I had sent it that way so they could discuss between themselves without being put on the spot.

debtay: :) Made that quite clear already. Apart from not wanting to live in Auckland anyway I would have hated my mother to have been living on my doorstep

Maybe that is why I am ultra sensitive about asking her.

Oh well - there are always 5month 3week holidays :rolleyes:
Hi Ailsa-my turn to give YOU some support now!;)
She'd be MAD not to agree so LOADS of positive sponsoring type vibes your way:D Mrs.N

Don Mar 1st 2004 12:48 pm

Originally posted by Ailsa
Thank you - I think :confused:

:D
You sound all right to me. :D

My MIL, she has got a load of terrible habits - like...being there is the worst one I can think of. Bloody* irritating presence, if you get my drift. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Jenny Newbury Mar 1st 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Never mind telling the parents.........

Hi Ailsa,

Have just spoken with my parents about our emigration to Aus.
:( Whilst upset they were very supportive, as part of the conversation I introduced the idea of sponsoring them in the future if they wanted. I would love my parents to follow if they wanted and my hubby agrees too.

Here's hoping your family feel the same - I'm sure they will. Good luck :)