Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Never mind the AFL garb, watch REAL Footy!

Never mind the AFL garb, watch REAL Footy!

Old Jul 9th 2004, 9:22 pm
PommieLeague

Default Never mind the AFL garb, watch REAL Footy!

C'mon will ya!
You move to Oz after a feast of British origin sport then head off to watch arial ping pong aka AFL!!

Why not keep some British identity and get stuck into NRL!!

Whats NRL?
Its the better game, a game of excitement and splendor.
A game where millions tune in all around the Australian nation to soke up the passion of Australia's best game.
And a game invented by the poms!

Where can i see it?
Well go here to the official site for a start! ;D
NRL

Here are the clubs:

Brisbane Broncos
Canberra Raiders
Canterbury Bulldogs
Cronulla Sharks
Manly Sea Eagles
Melbourne Storm
Newcastle Knights
New Zealand Warriors
North Queensland Cowboys
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George-Illawarra Dragons
Sydney Roosters
Wests Tigers

Last edited by Lathlain; Jul 9th 2004 at 9:30 pm.

Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:29 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Never mind the AFL garb, watch REAL Footy!

Originally posted by Lathlain
C'mon will ya!
You move to Oz after a feast of British origin sport then head off to watch arial ping pong aka AFL!!

Why not keep some British identity and get stuck into NRL!!

Whats NRL?
Its the better game, a game of excitement and splendor.
A game where millions tune in all around the Australian nation to soke up the passion of Australia's best game.
And a game invented by the poms!

Where can i see it?
Well go here to the official site for a start! ;D
NRL

Here are the clubs:

Brisbane Broncos
Canberra Raiders
Canterbury Bulldogs
Cronulla Sharks
Manly Sea Eagles
Melbourne Storm
Newcastle Knights
New Zealand Warriors
North Queensland Cowboys
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George-Illawarra Dragons
Sydney Roosters
Wests Tigers

Ah, Thugby - the game watched by millions and played by a hand full of global heroes.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:36 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Nah its just watched by people in NSW and Queensland.

Aussie rules shits all over league. Its so stop start.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 12:43 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Siren
Nah its just watched by people in NSW and Queensland.

Aussie rules shits all over league. Its so stop start.

Totally agree, must take a special person to get excited about NRL though.
Theres fewer & fewer of them in Aus though. AFL Rules.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 4:25 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

You want stop/start, play american football. At least league seems to actually move more than not.

It's still bozoball though, and it it will be re-absorbed into union again in the forseeable future!
Old Jul 10th 2004, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL!!! If you're gonna argue about it, according to Australian Bureau of Statistics, the most popular sport in Oz is actually (Football - The English and correct version of the game.)

However, with wanting to settle in with Aussie life...I'm gonna be open minded about the sport and check them all out when we move over there.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Bordy
Totally agree, must take a special person to get excited about NRL though.
Theres fewer & fewer of them in Aus though. AFL Rules.
I think that this would suggest that you are talking rubbish....
Millions tune in for Origin decider

8 July 2004

A national audience of just under 3.4 million viewers has seen the Harvey Norman State of Origin Series claim the top three most watched programs to date in 2004 across NSW and Queensland.

Across the Nine Network’s five capital city coverage and the Win and NBN regional networks, a total viewing audience 3,382,614 tuned in (from kick off to full time) to see the Wizard Blues take the series decider.

The peak viewing figure across all markets reached 3,785,875 viewers.

The 2004 Harvey Norman State of Origin Series also set a new attendance record of 203,309, up 19,627 on last year’s record.

In Sydney the match averaged 1,058,827 viewers on the Nine Network and in Brisbane it attracted 783,106 viewers.

Despite late night replays in southern states, an average of 192,581 viewers watched across Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth with a peak of 211,000 viewers in Melbourne.

“It has been an incredible series and it has again shown Rugby League as the most watched event of any kind in NSW and Queensland,� Colin Love, ARL chairman said today.

“As the Harvey Norman State of Origin series enters its 25th anniversary year in 2005 it remains firmly entrenched as one of this country’s greatest sporting events and the most successful representative series of any football code over that time.

“The Australian Rugby League would like to acknowledge the contributions of the players, the fans, the sponsors and the NRL clubs who have all contributed to make it such an outstanding success.�
Original story can be found at http://www.nrl.com.au/news.cfm?id=9190

BTW 3.4 million people is ~17% of the entire population of the country. Not exactly a minority.

Last edited by WhiteRose; Jul 10th 2004 at 9:54 am.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 10:12 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Last years AFL Grand final

The total TV audience in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth was up from 2,625,855 last year to 2,965,566, an increase of more than 10 per cent. The peak national audience was 3,533,380.

Sorry Whitey, looks like our one game still got bigger audience than the three state of origins.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Last years AFL Grand final

The total TV audience in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth was up from 2,625,855 last year to 2,965,566, an increase of more than 10 per cent. The peak national audience was 3,533,380.

Sorry Whitey, looks like our one game still got bigger audience than the three state of origins.
I wish you would read posts properly before you reply. There is no mention of AFL in my post. I couldn't care less which is the bigger game.

Your post stated that the number of people watching NRL was decreasing, I simply posted proof that it wasn't.

For what it's worth, I'm a rugby league supporter who also enjoys, and occassionally attends, AFL games.

You may notice that I don't feel it necessary to post things about NRL in AFL posts, or vice versa.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 10:39 am
The Godfather

Originally posted by WhiteRose
I wish you would read posts properly before you reply. There is no mention of AFL in my post. I couldn't care less which is the bigger game.

Your post stated that the number of people watching NRL was decreasing, I simply posted proof that it wasn't.

For what it's worth, I'm a rugby league supporter who also enjoys, and occassionally attends, AFL games.

You may notice that I don't feel it necessary to post things about NRL in AFL posts, or vice versa.

LOL & I don't mind the Storm either.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

LOL & I don't mind the Storm either.
That's good to hear. You should come along to a Storm match with Badge.

There is always room for one more.......
Old Jul 10th 2004, 10:59 am
The Godfather

Originally posted by WhiteRose
That's good to hear. You should come along to a Storm match with Badge.

There is always room for one more.......
Maybe some day when Bombers are out of Melbourne.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

I am going to my first AFL game tomorrow at The Gabba, but cant help but think that any game where the ref throws the ball behind him, over his head so he does not give an unfair advantage sounds like something, somebody created in a school playground.

We shall see tomorrow, go the Bulldogs.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 1:23 pm
The Godfather

Originally posted by ScuntoBris
I am going to my first AFL game tomorrow at The Gabba, but cant help but think that any game where the ref throws the ball behind him, over his head so he does not give an unfair advantage sounds like something, somebody created in a school playground.

We shall see tomorrow, go the Bulldogs.

Have fun SB, took me a couple of years to get into it but I love it now. Not a bad wee team Brisbane either.
Old Jul 10th 2004, 1:26 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I will begrudge the former Carrara Koalas that they are now a formidable team. Three flags on the trot in a great achievement.

As much as I like Brisbane the city, I'll proudly display the red sash on black when I get home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.