Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The nerves have set in!!!!!

The nerves have set in!!!!!

Old Sep 8th 2004, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

dingdong is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The nerves have set in!!!!!

Ok so I knew it wasnt going to be easy, the biggest move we'll ever make in fact but I've been 100% since applying for the visa, having a holiday there, receiving the visa, putting the house up for sale then all of a sudden it happened - BANG!! get the proper bombed out belly everytime I think of leaving. I HAVE to hand in my notice at work in the next 2 weekswhere I have been working for the last 15 years and desperately need to know if these emotions are normal. I really want to go and the thought of staying here fills me with dread but I've lost sight how much I loved it when we visited for a month and why we were going in the first place cos at the moment all I can think of is how much I'm leaving behind. Is there anybody out there that nearly called it all off at the last minute??? and if so what happened. Please help me or my husband is going to collapse with mental exhaustion after all the deliberating and humming and harring and general mind bending I am putting him through.

All advice appreciated!
Dingdong.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 6:46 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The nerves have set in!!!!!

Originally Posted by dingdong
Ok so I knew it wasnt going to be easy, the biggest move we'll ever make in fact but I've been 100% since applying for the visa, having a holiday there, receiving the visa, putting the house up for sale then all of a sudden it happened - BANG!! get the proper bombed out belly everytime I think of leaving. I HAVE to hand in my notice at work in the next 2 weekswhere I have been working for the last 15 years and desperately need to know if these emotions are normal. I really want to go and the thought of staying here fills me with dread but I've lost sight how much I loved it when we visited for a month and why we were going in the first place cos at the moment all I can think of is how much I'm leaving behind. Is there anybody out there that nearly called it all off at the last minute??? and if so what happened. Please help me or my husband is going to collapse with mental exhaustion after all the deliberating and humming and harring and general mind bending I am putting him through.

All advice appreciated!
Dingdong.
Hi Dingdong

Sympathies. We leave next Wednesday and I am now shitting myself :scared:

I know once I leave Gods Country I'll be fine but the days leading up to it? Killer. Leaving doo's every night from Thursday night with the big one on Friday, a doo in hindsight I wish we weren't having.

Hang in there like me, just

Walla
Old Sep 8th 2004, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Athough not in your situation as yet I can quite well imagine how you must be feeling.
Myself I have been having nerves already there is not really a day that goes by without me thinking about what we are doing, is it right? is it wrong? etc.
When I have a bad day I think great cannot wait to get out there, then another day I will think to myself I am happy here its not that bad after all.
I have an awful lot to lose and yet know that I have also a lot to gain.Ithink its like most, fear of the unknown and worrying that it might not work out how you planned it.
My Mum told me the other day that her and my Dad were going to emmigrate to Australia years ago had the papers and everything but my Dad changed his mind as he was worried about leaving his Mother but did not see that much of her anyway she said that she was all for it but he decided against it at the last minute..
She also told me that you have to think of yourselves and do what you think is write.
This time next year I will be in the same boat as you.Just hope I can go through with it and will be much more reasurred once we have seen Oz early next year.
Good Luck in all your decisions Regards Dreamaway
Old Sep 8th 2004, 8:50 pm
Walla's bird

marie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of light

OMG tell me about it. Beleive you me you spend over a year wishing it is going to happen and when it does suddenly it's like every emotion takes over. These final few weeks have been hectic, trying to sort all the practical things and all the time every time we do something like going for the most simple shopping trip to a nearby retail park I get a knot in my stomach thinking this will be the last time I do this. We are lucky in that we have relatives out there, all excited about our arrival but keep tying myself up in knots everytime I'm with relatives or freinds here becasue as much as they are all wishing us well you look at their faces and think Oh Shit I am causing all this emotional trauma they are going through (especially my dear Sis who I am so close to) ok tears starting got to go
Old Sep 8th 2004, 8:51 pm
T&P
Forum Regular

T&P is on a distinguished road

I can completely empathise.

We leave in 7.5weeks. Hubby is Australian so "going home" although will still be hard for him as has lived in UK for 6yrs.

I however am having moments of concern/doubt/panic - in particular have found this week a real rollercoaster - I am excited as we bought a house in Oz in Feb and have hubbys family there and both have jobs to go to but.......... keep thinking of everything we are leaving behind. My family/friends and work colleagues.

Today was especially hard - it is really sinking in.

I think it is completely normal, prior to any big life change you are bound to have doubts/anxieties and concerns.

I wish you all the luck in the world and hope the big move is everything you hoped for.

T x
Old Sep 8th 2004, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Oh dear, I know exactly how you feel - in fact I have a queasy feeling whilst typing this
I am feeling really weird at the moment and I really do not feel that I want to go

I am sure that we will be ok when we get there though as this is the hardest bit now.

Keep your chin up.