Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NELSON NZ Update!

NELSON NZ Update!

Old Sep 5th 2003, 1:25 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default NELSON NZ Update!

Just been prompted by Southerner that I hadn't posted an up-date on our progress here in Nelson, well if you're interested,

Yeah, we're still in Nelson, (Iknow, we were up & down the country a fair bit as we couldn't make our minds up where to live!)

renting a nice house, good views etc. (you know the speel by now!) Finally got the furnature etc. up here & the bike, been out on that a bit last W/E, awesome roads!!!!!!!!!!!! Good biking crowd here too which helps heaps, wanna get a bike to race now!

Wife has just been offered a good job in city & son has been working with Tyco electrical & should get an apprenticeship with them.

Me, no job yet, mind you, I am being a bit choosey!, awaiting feedback from some applications/interviews, so all is not lost. Anyway with Sue & Dave working, the pressures off for a while I reckon! lol

Still not met TIZUS, we will arrange something soon, but have been in contact.

Nothing really to whinge about, made some good friends, going for a rehearsal with a local band (I'm a bass player) on Sunday. So I'll hopefully get back into the "band thing" again!! (It's been a while)
Lovely day here today, very warm in the sun, temp about 19 C, not bad eh!

Arghhhhhhhh! run outta beer!
:scared: o well, gotta sleep now
Old Sep 6th 2003, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

nice one alan..

seems things are starting to sort themselves out...
i hear nelson is a great place to be too..

cheers

richard
Old Sep 6th 2003, 10:32 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by r.bartlett
nice one alan..

seems things are starting to sort themselves out...
i hear nelson is a great place to be too..

cheers

richard
It's a great place to live, the locals & everyone else who lives here really love it too! True, the wages are a bit low, the houses very expensive, but what do you expect?! The beaches, scenery, the area in general is lovely.
We will continue to try & make a go of it here, buying a house isn't everything, can't take it with you, ya just gotta enjoy life & be happy with what you already have.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 2:09 pm
Re-Member

Chris H-L is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by garrisondamn
The beaches, scenery, the area in general is lovely.
So, you haven't been near the freezing works yet then - PHEWWWY! And what about the big MDF factory?
Old Sep 6th 2003, 9:03 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Chris H-L
So, you haven't been near the freezing works yet then - PHEWWWY! And what about the big MDF factory?
You've picked on the only two big employers there are. Maybe Alan is thinking of becoming a freezing worker (slaughterman/butcher in an abatoir for Brits)?
Old Sep 6th 2003, 10:48 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by southerner
You've picked on the only two big employers there are. Maybe Alan is thinking of becoming a freezing worker (slaughterman/butcher in an abatoir for Brits)?
if anyones money obsessed the freezer works in Gore down south pay just under 1000$ per week in your hand,for a 40 hour week though
Old Sep 6th 2003, 11:20 pm
Non-addicted member!

We are a long way from the MDF plant, it's gotta go somewhere!!
Freezer plant? new one on me, where is that? what do they do?
Old Sep 8th 2003, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

We are a long way from the MDF plant, it's gotta go somewhere!!
Freezer plant? new one on me, where is that? what do they do?
Hi Alan

Was just browsing and saw your thread!! I know! I know! We said we would meet up!!!! Been a tad busy Tezza and co arrived last Sunday oh and we bought a house on Tuesday!!!

Fancy meeting up at the market on Saturday??

Will send an email to confirm
Tori
Old Sep 9th 2003, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alan,
glad to see things are working out fairly well for you so far - I'm sure the dream job will come along soon!! Can i just ask if there is anything that you felt/feel takes a bit of getting used to, or overall do you feel quite at home there already!! Also anything you really miss apart from the obvious family and freinds etc?

Please cocntinue to pop into the forum when you can and keep us up to date with life downunder. It's taking so long to sell our house that NZ is starting to feel a lot further away again! All the best!
Old Sep 9th 2003, 8:57 am
Non-addicted member!

Originally posted by jajpe
Hi Alan,
glad to see things are working out fairly well for you so far - I'm sure the dream job will come along soon!! Can i just ask if there is anything that you felt/feel takes a bit of getting used to, or overall do you feel quite at home there already!! Also anything you really miss apart from the obvious family and freinds etc?

Please cocntinue to pop into the forum when you can and keep us up to date with life downunder. It's taking so long to sell our house that NZ is starting to feel a lot further away again! All the best!
Initially, you get the feeling that you are on your own, no-one knows you & vice versa. You see bits of England on tv shows etc. and that sometimes brings a bit of homesickness.
A lot of things are very similar to back home (gotta stop calling it that!) but it is true, as was said on another post, that some consumables that you have been using all your life, you suddenly have to find an alternative. Petty it may seem, but it's not a whinge, just an observation! lol.
The jobs seem to be coming right now, it's a case of getting out there into the system & mingling.
I ride a motorcycle & that is a great medium for friends anywhere, NZ is no exception, as we have already made good contacts through that. I am also a musician & an ad in the paper etc. soon got me sorted with other musicians.
One tip is, if you can, bring as much as you can with you, if you are shipping your stuff over. As we had to go out and buy quite a lot of what we left behind & you find yourself saying "why the hell did i leave that behind etc. tv's & videos are a prob though as the frequency is different & have been told that "chipping them" is more ex than is worth.
Give us a shout when you get here & good luck with the house, you'll be right, sweet as!!!
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

the houses very expensive

How much we talking and for what size of house?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:32 am
Non-addicted member!

Originally posted by cadman
How much we talking and for what size of house?
Hard to say really as each house seems to have it's own value depending on what colour the walls are!! lol
They put great emphisis on how tidy the garden is, landscaping etc. & how the interior is decorated. Best to buy a doer upper! for less and spent a bit of time tidying.

For a reasonable sized modern 3 bed on about 800sq/m section with garage around Nelson/Richmond is anything from about 300-400K which converted into GBP's doesn't sound bad, if you've made a bit on your UK house, but thats all we did make....a bit!

The housing has gone up about 50% in the last 6-8 mnths and everyone keeps saying, "you should have come here about a year ago and bought then! I could spit!
There is quite a lot of new houses going up here, it's supply & demand, maybe one day it will be more a saturated market & the prices might drop.

Have to have a mortgage about the same as UK I guess, oh well, we made it here & it's lovely.
Live the day, as they say in Nelson.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

You have my sympathies Alan.

It's def. something that's starting to worry me about going to either Oz or NZ, it seems that house prices are rocketing all over the shop, particularly in the previously cheap area like Brisbane / Perth etc in Oz and Tuarunga (sp?) etc. there with all the expats going there.

If we went now we would hope to have about 60-70K GBP which when we started this looked like a decent amount. Now with property prices shooting up and the ever diminishing exchange rate it's starting to look more like a deposit!

We've decided to get/validate PR Visa then wait until my wife has done her Nurse training so we'll see what it's like in about 3 or 4 years!

Good to hear you're enjoying it there anyway, best of luck!

It's right what you say about bikers as well isn't it? When I had my R1 last year (b4 I smashed it up), I was on the R1 Forum.com all the time reading post from Melbourne, posting pics from over here etc. and they all were very friendly "look us up when you get here", "how's the applications going" etc. etc.

Andy.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:06 pm
Non-addicted member!

Originally posted by cadman
You have my sympathies Alan.

It's def. something that's starting to worry me about going to either Oz or NZ, it seems that house prices are rocketing all over the shop, particularly in the previously cheap area like Brisbane / Perth etc in Oz and Tuarunga (sp?) etc. there with all the expats going there.

If we went now we would hope to have about 60-70K GBP which when we started this looked like a decent amount. Now with property prices shooting up and the ever diminishing exchange rate it's starting to look more like a deposit!

We've decided to get/validate PR Visa then wait until my wife has done her Nurse training so we'll see what it's like in about 3 or 4 years!

Good to hear you're enjoying it there anyway, best of luck!

It's right what you say about bikers as well isn't it? When I had my R1 last year (b4 I smashed it up), I was on the R1 Forum.com all the time reading post from Melbourne, posting pics from over here etc. and they all were very friendly "look us up when you get here", "how's the applications going" etc. etc.

Andy.
With that amount, you'll get a nice place with only a small mortgage, we will virtually start from scratch again!

About your PR visa, once you have entered NZ and validated your PR Visa, I thought you had only 2 years to return b4 the visa ran out! Or maybe you won't get indefinate returning PR visas, I can't really remember off the top of my head.
You had best check that, we were on a tight schedule as we were waiting for our son to finish his GCSE's.

Good sportsbike crowd here, been out for a few blasts with some kiwis already & out caning the twisties myself today. Good ole' Hodgy aye!!??
Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:12 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Hi Alan,

As a biker and musician (my business is in guitar repairer/luthiery) myself it's great to hear that the music scene and roads are so good. Can't wait to get there next month. Primarily heading to Wellington...I see you didn't have a job offer to get into NZ ? Is that correct? Which route did you take to get in?

all the best, Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.