Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

neighbours from hell

Wikiposts

neighbours from hell

Old Oct 5th 2003, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Sky - good for you getting the car in there quick! Hopefully you'll get another viewer round soon. Did the other one tonight like it?

Tiredwithtwins - are you serious????

Our neighbours are all very chatty and really helpful. So much for people who say London is unfriendly and it's much better outside the capital. No shortage of places to have a shower while our new bathroom was being installed or whatever.

The houses either side didn't help with the sale though.

One side's house is practically falling down with half done DIY and rotten windows. Lovely woman but with no money to fix it and scary taste in paint colours whenever she does do something.

The other side is in two flats rented to young singles who are not houseproud and don't garden. We had to do a garden makeover for them with strimmer and shears so it looked OK from our upstairs side window. Anything to get the house sold!
Old Oct 5th 2003, 2:01 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jolyn
Sky - good for you getting the car in there quick! Hopefully you'll get another viewer round soon. Did the other one tonight like it?

Tiredwithtwins - are you serious????

Our neighbours are all very chatty and really helpful. So much for people who say London is unfriendly and it's much better outside the capital. No shortage of places to have a shower while our new bathroom was being installed or whatever.

The houses either side didn't help with the sale though.

One side's house is practically falling down with half done DIY and rotten windows. Lovely woman but with no money to fix it and scary taste in paint colours whenever she does do something.

The other side is in two flats rented to young singles who are not houseproud and don't garden. We had to do a garden makeover for them with strimmer and shears so it looked OK from our upstairs side window. Anything to get the house sold!
of course I am serious.
people are posting about the problems they have with their neighbours, and I am simply adding the problems I have.
we dont all live in rosy neighbourhoods, I happen to live on one of the worst council estates in Britain (seriously - we are something like 9th on the top 10) where unemployment is above national average, drug abuse is the main economic growth area and the statistics on poverty, poor education etc just go off the scale. We have a constant police presence (well, as much as it can) due to the high number of gangs causing problems - the local shops are all going out of business because the staff are fed up of being repeatedly attacked so no-one wants to work there.
Cars - untaxed, broken, vandalised or just burnt out are a common site on most of the streets around here - it takes the council weeks just to keep up with removing the burnt out wrecks. And gardens - no one even tries to keep their gardens nice because they either get vandalised, used as a toilet or planters,ornaments etc get nicked. why put your hard earned cash into nice plants etc when they just get dug up.
So there it is; life in not-so-pleasant south yorkshire.
But I am getting out of here...before my kids get old enough to be aware of the hell hole we live in...

Sue
Old Oct 5th 2003, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Sue,

Really sorry to know you are serious! Such an awful story about ultimate neighbour hell it sounded like you might be pulling our legs...:scared:

I'm not surprised you're leaving - run as fast as you can!!!!

There's almost nowhere in Oz that won't seem great compared to that and the weather's better too. Best wishes for a speedy escape.

Neighbourhoods vary wildly here too. A mile away from us you're in Tottenham and Wood Green - which has the only armed regular police patrolling in the UK due to Albanian and other gang warfare including shootouts in the high street over drug turf.

Have a terrific new life!

Jo
Old Oct 6th 2003, 1:21 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jolyn
Hi Joyn,
Thanks for asking,
The viewers loved it or so my hubby said I wasnt around, Id taken the kids out of the way to Mc D s, but nothing from the estate agents this morning in the way of offers so they cant have like it that much.
Really getting fed up of telling the kids not to mess the house up and I will be so relieved when it does sell
Old Oct 6th 2003, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Don't assume that you won't get "neighbours from hell" over here. We live in a suburb of Mandurah which is supposed to be desirable, low crime-rate etc. The family from hell moved in next door a few months ago. Four kids, a howling dog, and they like their parties. Their guests park all over our front lawn and we have to pick up the bottles the following morning. Over the other side of the street, the guy has since moved out thankfully, he owned a Rottweiler which was allowed to roam freely, and used our front lawn regularly as its toilet. Further up the street, there are teenagers who regularly drive up and down the road late at night on motorbikes and in cars, screeching and skidding everywhere. On the other hand, many famililes surrounding us we get on very well with, look after each other's kids, keep an eye on each other's houses when away, all the usual "neighbourly" things. One of them even organised a street party last summer as a way of all us nearby getting to know each other. It's tempting to move out to live on a 5-acre block to get some peace, but it would also be a bit isolated.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
my next door neighbour on one side is a drug dealer; his customers call all hours of the day and often bang on our door thinking he lives at our house; also his customers throw their used needles onto our garden - picking up 3 or 4 needles every day is nothing. the nighbour on the other side beats his wife/teenage son up on a weekly basis! he also fixes cars at 3 in the morning....
think I need to move to the other side of the world.......
I just read this.. my sister lives out side Liverpool her street is lovely 5 streets down is like... Beirut.. police wont patrol it.
My niece rented a house got broken in to twice........
( the house had bars on the windows they still got in) the police said I quote "Get the stuff that you can carry and dont go back!!!!!!!!!! she was scared to death but i'ts all she could afford.