Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Negativity v Constructive Comments

Negativity v Constructive Comments

Old May 28th 2011, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Negativity v Constructive Comments

We miss the green rambling hills of malvern the cold clean flowing waters of a mid wales stream/river, the spring call of awakening birds, the local chippy and it's friday night smell as you drive passed.
But at the same time we love the perfect sunsets here, the ever so weird sound of calling parrots as they fly by, the thud of a roo as it hops passed in the local park and the smell of nothing just clean fresh sea air, how lucky we are to have witnessed both and ended here
Old May 28th 2011, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isgraham
Migrating to Australia certainly changed me it toughened me up and made me less caring about people possible not something that people would expect to happen in the lucky country but when costs are high it brings out competition and what has happened to my outlook on life is one of the less desireable side effects. Even working in the City didn't do that to me.
I think this is very true. One of the rather unfortuanate effects of the over materialitic,individualistic, self centred society that competion has fostered on us.
Old May 28th 2011, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I think this is very true. One of the rather unfortuanate effects of the over materialitic,individualistic, self centred society that competion has fostered on us.
I think the horrible cost cutting, money pinching atmosphere of the UK is just as bad though. I came back from days working in the NHS in tears as the management didn't give a stuff about the quality of my sessions with patients. All they cared about were targets. I think we shouldn't over-romanticise the UK too much.
Old May 28th 2011, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 77hil
I think the horrible cost cutting, money pinching atmosphere of the UK is just as bad though. I came back from days working in the NHS in tears as the management didn't give a stuff about the quality of my sessions with patients. All they cared about were targets. I think we shouldn't over-romanticise the UK too much.
Indeed. Left London in 92 as wasn't entirely happy with the changes around me that resulted in a far less relaxed city and more concerned with personal gain and moved to France which found working in my area more people centred.

I do consider there is a difference of sorts in that London still has a not insignificant proportion of the population that remains left of thought and rather resistant to the worst aspects corporate thinking and capitalism.

Here there seems to be a greater acceptance to the excesses or at least far less difference.
Old May 28th 2011, 9:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
The problem is people on here who are very unhappy personally and blame Australia for their predicament and so tinge every comment they write with a negative connotation. Its like the bloke who pops up on days when it is 40 degrees plus in perth moaning about how it is so hot you can't even go outside when you live in Perth. Forget about the 99% of days in perth when you can be outside. It's called having a "cup half full" mentality and you quickly work out who those posters are and I have learnt to disregard what they say because they are BIASED.
Not necessarily true. There are posters that you can apply that too, but there are also people who don't blame Australia for the fact we are here.
Some of us are here because we decided to come here thinking it was a good move and because of the decisions WE have made it hasn't worked out that way. I for one don't blame Australia for the mess I'm in, the whole thing is down to me and the choices I have made over the last 8 years. If I'm in a mess its my fault, being in Australia doesn't help, but even if I was in the UK I would still be in the same position, divorced, no money, friends walking away from me etc.
I still moan about things in Australia which p*ss me off same as I would moan about things in the UK, but blame Australia? No, I blame myself.
Old May 28th 2011, 11:39 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
However, if that tale of woe is relevant to the specific query, does that not make it worthwhile information?
Of course it does - otherwise it would be hearsay. One's own experiences may not be similar to someone else's but comparing opposite viewpoints should be part of your research.
Old May 29th 2011, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

If your coming over with little in the way of funds, and no job lined up it will be hard to settle in. It can and as been done by many (including us) BUT it is harder than you might think.
Everything here is more expensive than the UK, especially if your living off your 'nest egg' until you manage to find work.
Finding work, yeah there are jobs here (lots of them) but the waiting for replies and paperwork trails you go through make it yet another adventure in the lifestyle that is Australia.
So in short if you really want it, come and have a go - but remember, it is not the pot of gold you are most likely thinking it is.
That is of course unless you have access to money that is limitless in supply
and your just happy to be here in the sun in your pool with a drink while the BBQ burns a few burgers for ya
Theres a car sticker here and it clearly states:
if your not happy here - leave.
Old May 29th 2011, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I've seen posters throw the dummy out the pram because some random strangers made comments which clearly didn't meet the expected fantasy. I especially like the "I've not got rose tinted glasses" comments - bet you have. We all did secretly otherwise you wouldn't bother to move half way around the world
I wonder this sometimes. I blame the fact that I am a generally enterprising and a bit of a adventurer. For me, pedestrian life in the UK was not for me. But maybe it might not have been pedestrian - who knows? I knew Australia would give us the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not necessarily true. There are posters that you can apply that too, but there are also people who don't blame Australia for the fact we are here.
Some of us are here because we decided to come here thinking it was a good move and because of the decisions WE have made it hasn't worked out that way. I for one don't blame Australia for the mess I'm in, the whole thing is down to me and the choices I have made over the last 8 years. If I'm in a mess its my fault, being in Australia doesn't help, but even if I was in the UK I would still be in the same position, divorced, no money, friends walking away from me etc.
I still moan about things in Australia which p*ss me off same as I would moan about things in the UK, but blame Australia? No, I blame myself.
Nice post.

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
It might help if some of the negative comments was backed by evidence. I’m not saying that it isn’t factually based; just that often the facts are left off the post.

“Oh the kebabs in Dubbo are really expensive” doesn’t really mean anything.

“The Kebabs in Dubbo average $15 for a beef with the works. This is $10 dearer than what I paid in Bradford” is more helpful.
You know what, Slappy, personally, I find some negative comments almost silly, churlish, and a case of sad grapes which almost undermines the original point. And sometimes you get an insight into the character of the poster and you wonder if there is more than a poor Australian experience? Unfortunately this colours the argument, I feel. People can say the same about those happy with their lot - but - as I've said before - at least they are happy.

Originally Posted by Wendy66
I use the forum very occasionally now but in the early days and waiting for the visa etc was on here day/noon/night
There was a time when the entire forum was waiting for a visa barely concealing their excitement...hundreds of them Sir!!

Much of Australia is pretty crap? I rest my case.
Comments like this tend not to help. Not yours personally - are you quoting someone - I mean. One of the saddest things about BE is when people make up their minds about how 'bad' Australia is when they haven't cottoned on to the fact it is just bad for them, and that other people are having better experiences. It actually makes it quite hard for everyone. I've never got the need people have to almost be proud that their life is not so great - it's sort of an issue they have to wear, after all.
Old May 29th 2011, 10:32 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
. One of the saddest things about BE is when people make up their minds about how 'bad' Australia is when they haven't cottoned on to the fact it is just bad for them, and that other people are having better experiences. It actually makes it quite hard for everyone. I've never got the need people have to almost be proud that their life is not so great - it's sort of an issue they have to wear, after all.
But if you put the boot on the other foot Badge, you spend a lot of your time on here telling us how great your life is. Now how do you think that makes some people feel when they are having a lousy time, no money, job sucks, family aren't as perfect as some other families..........hearing about people who have an amazing life with everything going right can be just as depressing as hearing about a life where everything is going wrong.
No-one ever tells the owners of the near-perfect lives to shut up, so why should it apply to those of us with less than perfection? We have as much right to talk about our lives as anyone else.
Old May 29th 2011, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Another post - sorry - I lost a fair bit....had to deal with one of the kids..

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
This is just a personal feeling so please don’t hammer me to a wall and throw rocks at me, but I think many of the people on BE are in some way still connected with the old country – after all it is a British Expats site not a New Australians site.

Expatriates are defined as being “a person who is voluntarily absent from home or country”.
This one comes up from time to time. You are right. For those with connections...they might be strong..This is BE, but I don't consider myself an expat -I find the connotation with being an expat at times almost a insult.(!) To be fair - I HAVE been an expat elsewhere which might explain it.

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I think people do?

By definition, people will give advice based on their own experience. How can someone who cannot even dream let alone afford a $1M plus inner suburb house give advice on just that subject? Some on here are doing very well, others are not. The reality is, Australia has dramatically changed over the last few years and is moving ever closer to a nation of two halves, sadly the have and have nots.
It can be tough for migrants now what with exchange rates, the jobs market, house prices etc.
Its NOT what it was 4 years ago.

I think thats the reason for the change in "tempo" not the posters themselves.
I don't think Australia has changed that much. All this price inflation is price inflation for specific reasons - and we are seeing lots of people complaining about retail prices in some sectors. Price inflation has happened for ever.. at times seemingly a lot faster than last time. (Ask your parents). They might start heading down in some sectors in a few years. People are shopping elsewhere and taking notice.

But the FX rate and the house prices have f**cked it for most. I wouldn't say it was a good idea for most people. 2007 was probably the last chance.
Old May 29th 2011, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But if you put the boot on the other foot Badge, you spend a lot of your time on here telling us how great your life is. Now how do you think that makes some people feel when they are having a lousy time, no money, job sucks, family aren't as perfect as some other families..........hearing about people who have an amazing life with everything going right can be just as depressing as hearing about a life where everything is going wrong.
No-one ever tells the owners of the near-perfect lives to shut up, so why should it apply to those of us with less than perfection? We have as much right to talk about our lives as anyone else.
I don't mate - infact I have very good reasons to tell the occasional story of something positive rather than negative. I just speak out when I have to say that things ain't so bad - and explain why. Demographics...etc...There are aspects of my life that are ordinary but why bore people.

No one is saying that noone can speak out - just that negative people being negative don't always come over the best.
Old May 29th 2011, 10:50 am
Home and Happy

.This is BE, but I don't consider myself an expat -I find the connotation with being an expat at times almost a insult.(!)
Now to make friends and influence people?

I don't mate - infact I have very good reasons to tell the occasional story of something positive rather than negative. I just speak out when I have to say that things ain't so bad - and explain why. Demographics...etc...There are aspects of my life that are ordinary but why bore people.

No one is saying that noone can speak out - just that negative people being negative don't always come over the best.
Nor do people being ultra-positive though. I'm not saying there's anything wrong in anyone's posts, but just as some people get depressed by the negative posts about how expensive it is to live here, some people may also get depressed at finding that there are people on here that can spend a whole week's family food budget on one shirt. Its just the other side of the coin - to some people that kind of spending is normal, to others its just depressing.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 29th 2011 at 11:29 am.
Old May 29th 2011, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is people on here who are very unhappy personally and blame Australia for their predicament and so tinge every comment they write with a negative connotation. Its like the bloke who pops up on days when it is 40 degrees plus in perth moaning about how it is so hot you can't even go outside when you live in Perth. Forget about the 99% of days in perth when you can be outside. It's called having a "cup half full" mentality and you quickly work out who those posters are and I have learnt to disregard what they say because they are BIASED.
Actually, I reckon its more like 60% of days when you can be out side.... 20% are too hot, 5% are too wet and 15% you're too bloody hung over to get out of bed....
Old May 29th 2011, 3:57 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Actually, I reckon its more like 60% of days when you can be out side.... 20% are too hot, 5% are too wet and 15% you're too bloody hung over to get out of bed....
Only 15% Eddie?
Old May 29th 2011, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now to make friends and influence people?
:-)

Expats famously behaving as expats are the subject of derision all over the world. In some circles you were ostracised if you insisted on behaving badly.

Some of us have seen it all elsewhere - not just Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.