Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Negativeness.....

Negativeness.....

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:04 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Negativeness.....

Originally Posted by Exile
These are not significant cultural differences, in my view.

...you appear to be talking to yourself....the others with their delightful laissez-faire attitudes appear to have buggered off.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:22 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

this thread has made me smile - along with the whingin ones about how much they loath things about Oz and their life is just a pile of poo there.

I love living here - as many will know, and often post how happy we are (which some dont like me to do) - but we also have MUCH bigger problems than pretty much anyone in Oz could imagine .....

we have no hot water at home (most houses dont as water heaters are rare here)

Our water supply is rainwater - we live on the top of the friggin mountain and they cant pump water to us in our tanks so if we run out - we have to wait for it to rain again and use friends houses

we have no food shops - and if you think not getting your PG tips is bad - we often cant get bread, eggs, simple stuff like that for a week or so.

there are no washing machines in houses - we have to use a laundry, which pulversises our clothes and wrecks them

social life ..... same people day in day out, as the island is less than 5 square miles

we have centipedes, snakes, spiders, bugs of every description living alongside us

if you think getting things done in Oz is slow - YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!! we had our sink leak fixed last week - it broke in 2005!!

we ordered our ATM card when we opened our account in 2004 - received it this January (and then it broke!!)

when you order anything it twice as expensive as the UK as import duty here is 205%

SO ..... in summation, if you dont like Oz stop whinging about the Ozzies and the Oz country - its you that doesnt fit in, its you holding you back - not them!

I have the issues above and many more and believe me we still love it here - we just get on, find solutions and if it annoys us its only for 5 minutes. we rely on a close cirlcle of friends we worked hard to keep up with and we're all here for each other. we wont be returning to the UK - but we will be moving to another island that has a far bigger infrastructure as we feel after 3 years we need more. Doesnt mean we dont like Canouan - infact this place I will remember more than any and has been the happiest stage in our lives .... we owe Canouan alot.

Cas - karma to you babe!
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:28 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom
Doesnt mean we dont like Canouan - infact this place I will remember more than any and has been the happiest stage in our lives .... we owe Canouan alot.

Cas - karma to you babe!
Right now in the recesses of my imagination I am sitting somewhere nice with both you and Cas drinking something nice and cold.

It's most definitely about attitude sometimes.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:33 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busterboy
Right now in the recesses of my imagination I am sitting somewhere nice with both you and Cas drinking something nice and cold.

It's most definitely about attitude sometimes.

too true - its what you make it! I just thank my lucky friggin stars every day we're out here living the dream.... and we cant qualify for Oz as our careers arent exactly in demand!

but Canouan will never change, it will remain the same long after we have left, theres many who cant deal with it and leave quickly (over 60%) but for us - its been a hoot!
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:38 pm
A rather curious boy

too true - its what you make it! I just thank my lucky friggin stars every day we're out here living the dream.... and we cant qualify for Oz as our careers arent exactly in demand!

but Canouan will never change, it will remain the same long after we have left, theres many who cant deal with it and leave quickly (over 60%) but for us - its been a hoot!

...and think of the stories you will be able to tell. A little better that spending your life in a 'new town' in the UK isn't it?

I have enjoyed every place I have ever been probably because I took the bad with the good and adapted.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:44 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

this thread has made me smile - along with the whingin ones about how much they loath things about Oz and their life is just a pile of poo there.

I love living here - as many will know, and often post how happy we are (which some dont like me to do) - but we also have MUCH bigger problems than pretty much anyone in Oz could imagine .....

we have no hot water at home (most houses dont as water heaters are rare here)

Our water supply is rainwater - we live on the top of the friggin mountain and they cant pump water to us in our tanks so if we run out - we have to wait for it to rain again and use friends houses

we have no food shops - and if you think not getting your PG tips is bad - we often cant get bread, eggs, simple stuff like that for a week or so.

there are no washing machines in houses - we have to use a laundry, which pulversises our clothes and wrecks them

social life ..... same people day in day out, as the island is less than 5 square miles

we have centipedes, snakes, spiders, bugs of every description living alongside us

if you think getting things done in Oz is slow - YOU HAVE NO IDEA!!! we had our sink leak fixed last week - it broke in 2005!!

we ordered our ATM card when we opened our account in 2004 - received it this January (and then it broke!!)

when you order anything it twice as expensive as the UK as import duty here is 205%

SO ..... in summation, if you dont like Oz stop whinging about the Ozzies and the Oz country - its you that doesnt fit in, its you holding you back - not them!

I have the issues above and many more and believe me we still love it here - we just get on, find solutions and if it annoys us its only for 5 minutes. we rely on a close cirlcle of friends we worked hard to keep up with and we're all here for each other. we wont be returning to the UK - but we will be moving to another island that has a far bigger infrastructure as we feel after 3 years we need more. Doesnt mean we dont like Canouan - infact this place I will remember more than any and has been the happiest stage in our lives .... we owe Canouan alot.

Cas - karma to you babe!
Great post.......Karma to you too
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:53 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Its not English beer then.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:57 pm
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by Bordy
Its not English beer then.
No my little Selkirk petal, it would not be warm, English beer. I am looking forward to meeting you some time soon as your bbqs look a little dry and in need of livening up!
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 5:10 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Negativeness.....

I'd say it absolutely does justify a thread, if this were an Australian expat site and you were warning people of the pitfalls of trying to renovate a house in the UK. Very useful information, in my view.
What nonsense! Everyone knows that some tradesmen can be dodgy, while others can be terrific. That's the same all over the world!
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 5:11 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Negativeness.....

I'm not saying crap products and standards and service are uniquely Australian, but my hit rate for mind-blowingly poor service here in Perth has been incredibly high over the last 2.5 years. In my view, you cannot disconnect this from the laid-back attitude.
Why not? Why does the laid back culture have to be the cause? Why can't it be something else entirely?
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 5:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Arrow Re: Negativeness.....

These are not significant cultural differences, in my view.
They are to some people! Just look at all the whinging you get from Poms who hate seeing people with bare feet, for example.

And that's the point: your "significant cultural differences" may not be someone else's "significant cultural differences." Just as your "crap service" may not be someone else's experience.

Which is why such generalisations are so dangerous - and potentially misleading.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 5:14 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

No my little Selkirk petal, it would not be warm, English beer. I am looking forward to meeting you some time soon as your bbqs look a little dry and in need of livening up!
I look forward to you coming to Broken hill.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 5:17 pm
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by Bordy
I look forward to you coming to Broken hill.
as long as it's not Wolf Creek
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say it absolutely does justify a thread, if this were an Australian expat site and you were warning people of the pitfalls of trying to renovate a house in the UK. Very useful information, in my view.

Actually, that is what it's like in the UK. Can't get a tradesmen anywhere, anytime, anyhow or anyplace! I think they must have all migrated!!
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Right I know i'm not in aus, but i cant understand why barefoot people in the supermarket annoy ppl so much, I think its fab that ppl couldn't care less whether they have shoes on or not, and some even do it in their night clothes, or take kids in their night clothes.

When i get there its one of the first things i intend to do put me nightie on and go barefoot in the supermarket

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.