British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Needing an English double bed frame... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/needing-english-double-bed-frame-875189/)

Kiwi-Irish Mar 31st 2016 6:10 pm

Needing an English double bed frame...

Hi All,
I was wondering, does anybody have a double bed frame they either don't want? or know where I could buy one around Sydney?

I have a temper mattress, a double. And whats happening is the beds here usually have a base with a 'slot' and my mattress is a couple inches too long and too wide.

At the moment I have that common Ikea bed, and its half in, half out!

regards!

Amazulu Mar 31st 2016 7:07 pm

Re: Needing an English double bed frame...

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish (Post 11910632)
Hi All,
I was wondering, does anybody have a double bed frame they either don't want? or know where I could buy one around Sydney?

I have a temper mattress, a double. And whats happening is the beds here usually have a base with a 'slot' and my mattress is a couple inches too long and too wide.

regards!

I think you'll struggle

When we moved to Australia we had the same the problem. We have a very expensive latex memory foam mattress that we brought with us (still as good as new 15 years after we bought it). We couldn't get a frame new or 2nd hand anywhere so ended up having one made to measure

Good luck

irishbloo Mar 31st 2016 7:51 pm

Hi All,

regards!

Try Gumtree.We have sold beds from the Uk on there.Failing that you could see if you could find a divan and just sit the mattress on top.Not sure what it would like with the overhang though.

old.sparkles Apr 1st 2016 4:57 pm

Hi All,

regards!

The cheap double bed frame I bought at Fantastic furniture seems to fit a UK double.

Have you measured your mattress to see which frames fit best - maybe you need a queen?

Kiwi-Irish Apr 1st 2016 8:45 pm

Sadly, I found a beautiful brass double bed, an english one, from an english seller on gumtree yesterday and was delighted. However, turned out she got back to the removalist truck too late (she was packing her stuff to go back and I guess this bed didn't sell so was planning to just take it back then) it was loaded on at the front and she wasn't able to get it off in time :-( I must have found her ad just a little late. So I'll keep looking occasionally on gumtree.

Yes, I got a queen frame when I got here, and found that to be massive.

You're right though, maybe I should be measuring it and considering frames that way, I just assume all AUS double frames would be to a standard size, but maybe they're not?

Kiwi-Irish Apr 1st 2016 8:48 pm

Which one fits yours, Old.sparkles? pls can you post me the link? I'll measure up and maybe just get that one!

old.sparkles Apr 1st 2016 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish (Post 11911664)
Which one fits yours, Old.sparkles? pls can you post me the link? I'll measure up and maybe just get that one!

This is the one we bought - Roxanne Double Bed | Bedroom | Bedroom & Mattresses | Categories | Fantastic Furniture - Australia's Best Value Furniture & Bedding

Even if this one doesn't quite measure up, may be worth checking some of the others - they all seem to display dimensions :)

Kiwi-Irish Apr 1st 2016 10:43 pm

Awesome, thanks. I'll measure my mattress when I get home