British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Need your honest opinions. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/need-your-honest-opinions-472240/)

shabee Aug 7th 2007 12:21 pm

Need your honest opinions.

Hi wonderful people,

We are 2 families planning on emigrating to Oz, but we are undecided on where to go. I know there has been many threads on here with the same problem, but I really feel I need to ask your help.

I keep looking at either Brisbane or Gold coast and my friends keep looking at Perth. We got together last night but still could not come up with a decision.

My hubby is a joiner and our friend is a painter and decorator, so we need to go where there is work for a start. Also property prices is important (including rental property) as we want to be able to live to work and not work to live. They both have a good wage here and we know that they will have to take a big drop, and that can be worrying.

I have been hooked on this site now for months and I know I can ask you guys for your opinions on where to go, and I know they will be honest.

We also have kids to consider.

Thanks in advance
Sharon
x

Wendy Aug 7th 2007 12:23 pm

Re: Need your honest opinions.

Look at the job sites on google.com.au and see where the jobs are. That is one of the most important things to consider, because if there aren't any jobs you will find it hard.

I know that seems obvious, but it's overlooked quite a lot by people chasing a dream. And obviously without work the dream soon becomes a nightmare. :)

p l d k Aug 7th 2007 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5158659)
Look at the job sites on google.com.au and see where the jobs are. That is one of the most important things to consider, because if there aren't any jobs you will find it hard.

I know that seems obvious, but it's overlooked quite a lot by people chasing a dream. And obviously without work the dream soon becomes a nightmare. :)

I think at the moment work for tradies in QLD or WA is not really a problem and would not be a deciding factor.

Its a purely personal decision I know, but my opinion for what its worth is if you genuinely cant make your mind up between WA and QLD, go to QLD as there are a lot more places to try and its lot easier/cheaper to base yourself on the East coast and explore other states than on the West coast.

Baby75 Aug 7th 2007 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by p l d k (Post 5158768)
I think at the moment work for tradies in QLD or WA is not really a problem and would not be a deciding factor.

Its a purely personal decision I know, but my opinion for what its worth is if you genuinely cant make your mind up between WA and QLD, go to QLD as there are a lot more places to try and its lot easier/cheaper to base yourself on the East coast and explore other states than on the West coast.

i agree friends of our live in Brisbane and there is lots of work for trades as there is a lot of building going on there we are heading over our selfs in April and cant wait from the research we have done and our friends are renting you can find houses to rent at good prices just takes looking.

good luck with your decision:thumbsup:

shabee Aug 7th 2007 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5158659)

Hi Wendy,
Thanks for that, just had a look around and there does seem to be work all over for tradies, which is great. Wages do seem to differ though, i think we will have to look into the cost of living next.
Thanks again
Sharon
x

shabee Aug 7th 2007 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by p l d k (Post 5158768)

That is exactly the way I am thinking.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

shabee Aug 7th 2007 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Baby75 (Post 5158962)
i agree friends of our live in Brisbane and there is lots of work for trades as there is a lot of building going on there we are heading over our selfs in April and cant wait from the research we have done and our friends are renting you can find houses to rent at good prices just takes looking.

good luck with your decision:thumbsup:

THANK YOU! thats reassuring.

Wendy Aug 7th 2007 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by shabee (Post 5159029)
Hi Wendy,
Thanks for that, just had a look around and there does seem to be work all over for tradies, which is great. Wages do seem to differ though, i think we will have to look into the cost of living next.
Thanks again
Sharon
x

Yep, jobs, cost of living and then look for good suburbs, schools etc. :)

shabee Aug 7th 2007 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5159085)
Yep, jobs, cost of living and then look for good suburbs, schools etc. :)

Cheers Wendy!

mike-Ju Aug 7th 2007 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by shabee (Post 5158653)
Hi wonderful people,

We are 2 families planning on emigrating to Oz, but we are undecided on where to go. I know there has been many threads on here with the same problem, but I really feel I need to ask your help.

I keep looking at either Brisbane or Gold coast and my friends keep looking at Perth. We got together last night but still could not come up with a decision.

My hubby is a joiner and our friend is a painter and decorator, so we need to go where there is work for a start. Also property prices is important (including rental property) as we want to be able to live to work and not work to live. They both have a good wage here and we know that they will have to take a big drop, and that can be worrying.

I have been hooked on this site now for months and I know I can ask you guys for your opinions on where to go, and I know they will be honest.

Thanks in advance
Sharon
x

Have you ever visited Australia? Maybe you need to take a trip over and visit your 3 fav. places (internal flights are dirt cheap) then make a decision, because you dont want to make the wrong one and come back because you wern't happy.

I'm quite fortunate I backpacked around OZ when I was 19, the only places I didnt visit was Perth and Tazmania, so i have a good idea where my family would be best suited.

My top 3 are 1. Townsville (to hot for the OH), 2. Byron Bay 3. Sydney (not sure about city life)

Buzzy--Bee Aug 8th 2007 12:13 am

Hi wonderful people,

We are 2 families planning on emigrating to Oz, but we are undecided on where to go. x

Melbourne.

Buzzy

stevemich Aug 8th 2007 12:16 am

Hi wonderful people,

Thanks in advance
Sharon
x

Don't you mean it the other way round??!:blink::)

shabee Aug 8th 2007 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 5161570)
Melbourne.

Buzzy

Hi buzzy bee,
tell me why then!
:lol::lol:
Sharon
x

shabee Aug 8th 2007 8:15 am

Originally Posted by stevemich (Post 5161581)
Don't you mean it the other way round??!:blink::)

Hi,
No I think i have it the right way round, but thanks for your imput.

Sharon
:p

Amazulu Aug 8th 2007 8:21 am

Hi wonderful people,

Thanks in advance
Sharon
x

Perth