Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need your honest opinions.

Need your honest opinions.

Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Need your honest opinions.

Hi wonderful people,

We are 2 families planning on emigrating to Oz, but we are undecided on where to go. I know there has been many threads on here with the same problem, but I really feel I need to ask your help.

I keep looking at either Brisbane or Gold coast and my friends keep looking at Perth. We got together last night but still could not come up with a decision.

My hubby is a joiner and our friend is a painter and decorator, so we need to go where there is work for a start. Also property prices is important (including rental property) as we want to be able to live to work and not work to live. They both have a good wage here and we know that they will have to take a big drop, and that can be worrying.

I have been hooked on this site now for months and I know I can ask you guys for your opinions on where to go, and I know they will be honest.

We also have kids to consider.

Thanks in advance
Sharon
x
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need your honest opinions.

Look at the job sites on google.com.au and see where the jobs are. That is one of the most important things to consider, because if there aren't any jobs you will find it hard.

I know that seems obvious, but it's overlooked quite a lot by people chasing a dream. And obviously without work the dream soon becomes a nightmare.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

p l d k is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Look at the job sites on google.com.au and see where the jobs are. That is one of the most important things to consider, because if there aren't any jobs you will find it hard.

I know that seems obvious, but it's overlooked quite a lot by people chasing a dream. And obviously without work the dream soon becomes a nightmare.
I think at the moment work for tradies in QLD or WA is not really a problem and would not be a deciding factor.

Its a purely personal decision I know, but my opinion for what its worth is if you genuinely cant make your mind up between WA and QLD, go to QLD as there are a lot more places to try and its lot easier/cheaper to base yourself on the East coast and explore other states than on the West coast.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 1:45 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by p l d k
I think at the moment work for tradies in QLD or WA is not really a problem and would not be a deciding factor.

Its a purely personal decision I know, but my opinion for what its worth is if you genuinely cant make your mind up between WA and QLD, go to QLD as there are a lot more places to try and its lot easier/cheaper to base yourself on the East coast and explore other states than on the West coast.
i agree friends of our live in Brisbane and there is lots of work for trades as there is a lot of building going on there we are heading over our selfs in April and cant wait from the research we have done and our friends are renting you can find houses to rent at good prices just takes looking.

good luck with your decision
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Wendy,
Thanks for that, just had a look around and there does seem to be work all over for tradies, which is great. Wages do seem to differ though, i think we will have to look into the cost of living next.
Thanks again
Sharon
x
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by p l d k

That is exactly the way I am thinking.

Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Baby75
i agree friends of our live in Brisbane and there is lots of work for trades as there is a lot of building going on there we are heading over our selfs in April and cant wait from the research we have done and our friends are renting you can find houses to rent at good prices just takes looking.

good luck with your decision
THANK YOU! thats reassuring.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shabee
Hi Wendy,
Thanks for that, just had a look around and there does seem to be work all over for tradies, which is great. Wages do seem to differ though, i think we will have to look into the cost of living next.
Thanks again
Sharon
x
Yep, jobs, cost of living and then look for good suburbs, schools etc.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep, jobs, cost of living and then look for good suburbs, schools etc.
Cheers Wendy!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Hi wonderful people,

We are 2 families planning on emigrating to Oz, but we are undecided on where to go. I know there has been many threads on here with the same problem, but I really feel I need to ask your help.

I keep looking at either Brisbane or Gold coast and my friends keep looking at Perth. We got together last night but still could not come up with a decision.

My hubby is a joiner and our friend is a painter and decorator, so we need to go where there is work for a start. Also property prices is important (including rental property) as we want to be able to live to work and not work to live. They both have a good wage here and we know that they will have to take a big drop, and that can be worrying.

I have been hooked on this site now for months and I know I can ask you guys for your opinions on where to go, and I know they will be honest.

Thanks in advance
Sharon
x
Have you ever visited Australia? Maybe you need to take a trip over and visit your 3 fav. places (internal flights are dirt cheap) then make a decision, because you dont want to make the wrong one and come back because you wern't happy.

I'm quite fortunate I backpacked around OZ when I was 19, the only places I didnt visit was Perth and Tazmania, so i have a good idea where my family would be best suited.

My top 3 are 1. Townsville (to hot for the OH), 2. Byron Bay 3. Sydney (not sure about city life)
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:13 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Need your honest opinions.

Hi wonderful people,

We are 2 families planning on emigrating to Oz, but we are undecided on where to go. x

Melbourne.

Buzzy
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:16 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi wonderful people,

Thanks in advance
Sharon
x

Don't you mean it the other way round??!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Melbourne.

Buzzy
Hi buzzy bee,
tell me why then!

Sharon
x
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevemich
Don't you mean it the other way round??!
Hi,
No I think i have it the right way round, but thanks for your imput.

Sharon
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi wonderful people,

Thanks in advance
Sharon
x
Perth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.