British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   need shipping company recommendations please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/need-shipping-company-recommendations-please-616034/)

charlie-k Jul 11th 2009 12:04 am

Re: need shipping company recommendations please!

Originally Posted by graduate45 (Post 7737025)
I have just joined the forum and it is interesting reading all your comments about shipping companies. I was involved in shipping of personal effects, cars etc for 25 years (not any more I may add), thats why I can give you an un biased view. I worked in sales and operations, even started out as a packer.

I cant stand people getting ripped off, and beleive me, people do !

Bernie

Nice to know not everyone is a rip off merchant.
Thanks for the useful info.:thumbup:

tawkins1 Jul 16th 2009 6:42 am

We recieved a follow up call from Crown on Tuesday & we asked them if they could reduce their price as we were very impressed with them but found they were approx £300 dearer than everyone else. We got a letter today revising the quote to £3500 from £3800 for a 20ft sole use container from Lancashire to Perth :thumbsup:

scliffe Jul 16th 2009 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by sybilipicus (Post 7685413)
Hi All

There seem to quite a few threads on whether to take furniture etc but not actually any recommendations for the companies to use (or ones to avoid!)?

We're not going to take any furniture with us so we are just looking to ship personal/kitchen belongings as well as an 26 inch LCD tv.

I've seen one called voovit which seems very reasonable but then there's the fear it's too good to be true! It also drops off at the port rather than door to door which isn't a particular problem it just would be easier if they arrive at the door!

Many thanks!

use bonner international they are fantastic and cheap providing a full door to door service I could not fault them
Ps I emmigrated to Canada and still pine to be in Tasmania

charlie-k Jul 16th 2009 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 7758878)
We recieved a follow up call from Crown on Tuesday & we asked them if they could reduce their price as we were very impressed with them but found they were approx £300 dearer than everyone else. We got a letter today revising the quote to £3500 from £3800 for a 20ft sole use container from Lancashire to Perth :thumbsup:

had one quote so far. John Mason. 3400K for 20ft container to Brisbane.
Got 2 more quotes to come next week so will let you all know. (Crown and PSS)

nixster Jul 16th 2009 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by holsie0 (Post 7690309)
We moved from Norfolk to Brisbane 12 weeks ago and we used Harrowgreen.They were exceptional nothing was too much trouble very professional gave us lots of info on what to bring & what not to. We had a few quotes one from Whites who told us we had room to spare and he was very vague Harrowgreen said it would be a tight squeeze & it was. We had a 20ft container it took 7 weeks door to door no problems getting through quarantine at this end it was a company called Kent who were also very good. It certainly took the stress & worry away as it all went so smoothly. :thumbsup:

Hi there im currently in Norfolk at the moment looking to move to the sunshine coast in march so your comment is extremely helpful. Nice to hear from someone from norfolk. hope ur getting on ok:)

lyndhurst Jul 17th 2009 3:11 am

i had pickfords out today...estimated £4500 - £5000 for a 20ft container (1100 cubic meters) :eek: but has said will let us know accurate price next week... we have john mason and anglo pacific coming next week too....

charlie5 Jul 17th 2009 3:17 am

Hi

Are the prices quoted fully inclusive. I realise that we may have to pay "cleaning" fees in Australia but are there anyother extras?

Will the contents of an average 4 bed house fit into a 20ft container?

Charlie

xzibit Jul 17th 2009 3:21 am

What happens if you only have a small amount of stuff to ship? Like bed, drawers, tv cabinet, lcd tv, xbox, bike, clothes, and a few boxes of stuff.

Would I have to pay circa £3500 for that too??

mr mover Jul 18th 2009 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by xzibit (Post 7761547)
What happens if you only have a small amount of stuff to ship? Like bed, drawers, tv cabinet, lcd tv, xbox, bike, clothes, and a few boxes of stuff.

Would I have to pay circa £3500 for that too??

No that would go in a groupage container, and you only pay for space used........mm;)

tawkins1 Jul 18th 2009 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by charlie5 (Post 7761538)
Hi

Are the prices quoted fully inclusive. I realise that we may have to pay "cleaning" fees in Australia but are there anyother extras?

Will the contents of an average 4 bed house fit into a 20ft container?

Charlie

Crown were the only company that included "ALL" fees, including, quatantine inspections, custom clearance, container cleaning etc etc...
We have a large 4 bed house & we can fit everything into a 20ft container.... :thumbsup:

tawkins1 Jul 18th 2009 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by lyndhurst (Post 7761530)
i had pickfords out today...estimated £4500 - £5000 for a 20ft container (1100 cubic meters) :eek: but has said will let us know accurate price next week... we have john mason and anglo pacific coming next week too....

OMG they quoted us £3185 for a sole use 20ft container! I do think they under estimated the cubic feet tho........ We need min 900 cbft but pickfords quoted 800 cbft... They also didnt include any of the extra fees......:thumbdown:

lyndhurst Jul 18th 2009 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 7765253)
OMG they quoted us £3185 for a sole use 20ft container! I do think they under estimated the cubic feet tho........ We need min 900 cbft but pickfords quoted 800 cbft... They also didnt include any of the extra fees......:thumbdown:

yeh, we thought that was a bit expensive but will wait until the final quote comes and the other 2 have been next week. this included all the fees and to be fair he said we had loads of stuff... (filled 3 sheets) which he said were small stuff, taking longer to pack... will keep you informed :thumbup:

charlie5 Jul 19th 2009 12:00 am

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 7765248)
Crown were the only company that included "ALL" fees, including, quatantine inspections, custom clearance, container cleaning etc etc...
We have a large 4 bed house & we can fit everything into a 20ft container.... :thumbsup:

Thanks for your re-assurance about the container size. I thought we might have to go to 40ft!!

Charlie

Bubsblooms Jul 19th 2009 2:40 am

Originally Posted by sybilipicus (Post 7685413)
Hi All

There seem to quite a few threads on whether to take furniture etc but not actually any recommendations for the companies to use (or ones to avoid!)?

We're not going to take any furniture with us so we are just looking to ship personal/kitchen belongings as well as an 26 inch LCD tv.

I've seen one called voovit which seems very reasonable but then there's the fear it's too good to be true! It also drops off at the port rather than door to door which isn't a particular problem it just would be easier if they arrive at the door!

Many thanks!

We had PSS for the UK bit and Kent in Australia. We shared a container and it took about 12 weeks. Collected and delivered door to door with texted updates on route..... one box got lost completely (didn't realise until I tried to find my books..) but apart from that it was all good - cost around £2200 for a large 2 bed house, all contents, all inclusive :)

slipshot Jul 19th 2009 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by chelle1607 (Post 7701560)
hi all,

Am keen to get the PSS quote thru (but they aren't coming till Monday) as they seem to have the best reputation on the forums.

Not from us they won't - moved us in Jan - arrived in March and massive amounts of damage both via packing in UK and moving at this end.

Would not recommend them at all, although have used them before and they were OK - which goes to show it's pot luck and nothing else...