Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

need shipping company recommendations please!

need shipping company recommendations please!

Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

sybilipicus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need shipping company recommendations please!

Hi All

There seem to quite a few threads on whether to take furniture etc but not actually any recommendations for the companies to use (or ones to avoid!)?

We're not going to take any furniture with us so we are just looking to ship personal/kitchen belongings as well as an 26 inch LCD tv.

I've seen one called voovit which seems very reasonable but then there's the fear it's too good to be true! It also drops off at the port rather than door to door which isn't a particular problem it just would be easier if they arrive at the door!

Many thanks!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: need shipping company recommendations please!

There are loads of threads. One person will give a great review on a shipping co and the next will have had loads of problems.

Those that appear most rated on here are Anglo Pacific, PSS and John Masons.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

We used John Mason. Had no furniture, just personal stuff, stereo, speakers, paintings, kitchen stuff. 35 boxes I think. Costed 1500GBP plus insurance. We only insured a few bits. Not one thing damaged and delivered to our door. Very happy apart from the grumpy chaps who delivered it.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We used Brittannia, very happy with them apart from they overstimated our stuff and said we were very near the maximum for a 20ft container, so we got rid of loads of stuff but when it came to it, there was masses of room.

Apart from that, they did a great job.

Sam
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

www.freedomshipping.com
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TandC23
Are you using them? I've never heard of them. Do they come recommended?
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

yes im using them - do a search in the forum and it will come up with quite a few people recommending them!

such as this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...eedom+shipping

Last edited by TandC23; Jun 22nd 2009 at 11:10 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

holsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to allholsie0 is a name known to all

We moved from Norfolk to Brisbane 12 weeks ago and we used Harrowgreen.They were exceptional nothing was too much trouble very professional gave us lots of info on what to bring & what not to. We had a few quotes one from Whites who told us we had room to spare and he was very vague Harrowgreen said it would be a tight squeeze & it was. We had a 20ft container it took 7 weeks door to door no problems getting through quarantine at this end it was a company called Kent who were also very good. It certainly took the stress & worry away as it all went so smoothly.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TandC23
yes im using them - do a search in the forum and it will come up with quite a few people recommending them!

such as this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...eedom+shipping
Thank you very much.
Will start my research now. (We accepted an offer on the house yesterday - it's been on the market for 16 months! So now it's action stations)
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 3:20 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Get quotes from them all.... AND take everything you think you might actually need at any time in the future!
My advice is to go with the ones you get the best feeling about. Then shop around for your insurance (plenty of threads about shipping insurance) you can save a good deal of money by doing that.

Honestly, I rationalised lots of things, like did I really need all that crockery and old mugs and the answer was of course I did... I had to got out and buy cheap mugs... the bloody workman broke one of my Denby set and I actually waned to crown him with the pieces, it's really really expensive here! I find myself thinking... I wish I'd just thrown it in! Even silly things like the old wheelbarrow... we should have just thrown that it too... Seem silly when they're hardly pristine, but things like that were still perfectly usable and buying anything again is pricey, especially when you have no idea of where the cheapest place is to shop when you first arrive here!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:50 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by charlie-k
Are you using them? I've never heard of them. Do they come recommended?
They have been recommended to me too
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:53 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by charlie-k
Thank you very much.
Will start my research now. (We accepted an offer on the house yesterday - it's been on the market for 16 months! So now it's action stations)
Fantastic news Charlie. We too have just accepted an offer on our house after 16 months
We have got, Freedom, Crown, Coles, John Mason, & Anglo Pacific coming next week to give us a quote. Over the phone Crown & John Masons were the most helpful & informative so we'll just see what prices they come up with now
Goodluck with the sale, hope everything runs smoothly for you x
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Fantastic news Charlie. We too have just accepted an offer on our house after 16 months
We have got, Freedom, Crown, Coles, John Mason, & Anglo Pacific coming next week to give us a quote. Over the phone Crown & John Masons were the most helpful & informative so we'll just see what prices they come up with now
Brilliant! What a relief!!

If it's of any use to you, three of my friends used Crown and thought that they were really efficient.
Good luck.
x
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alipally
Get quotes from them all.... AND take everything you think you might actually need at any time in the future!
My advice is to go with the ones you get the best feeling about. Then shop around for your insurance (plenty of threads about shipping insurance) you can save a good deal of money by doing that.

Honestly, I rationalised lots of things, like did I really need all that crockery and old mugs and the answer was of course I did... I had to got out and buy cheap mugs... the bloody workman broke one of my Denby set and I actually waned to crown him with the pieces, it's really really expensive here! I find myself thinking... I wish I'd just thrown it in! Even silly things like the old wheelbarrow... we should have just thrown that it too... Seem silly when they're hardly pristine, but things like that were still perfectly usable and buying anything again is pricey, especially when you have no idea of where the cheapest place is to shop when you first arrive here!
Great post - thank you. Will bear that in mind.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

grays is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tawkins1

Once you get all the prices in play them off against one another. We used John Masons and knocked them down £250 from their original quote.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.