British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Need a retaining wall built in Perth SOR (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/need-retaining-wall-built-perth-sor-388347/)

henke Aug 2nd 2006 9:41 pm

Need a retaining wall built in Perth SOR

Could anyone recommend a builder to install a retaining wall in my garden?, the old cementboard fence has finally fell over and I need to get it fixed.

Finding a biulder to even return my calls, let alone come out and see the job is proving a tad difficult.

Ta,

H

moneypenny20 Aug 2nd 2006 10:17 pm

Re: Need a retaining wall built in Perth SOR

Originally Posted by henke
Could anyone recommend a builder to install a retaining wall in my garden?, the old cementboard fence has finally fell over and I need to get it fixed.

Finding a biulder to even return my calls, let alone come out and see the job is proving a tad difficult.

Ta,

H

Go to your local landscaping company and ask for recommendations. They are unlikely to suggest people who won't come out. They should have cards for good reliable guys.

Siren & Brian Aug 2nd 2006 10:48 pm

Ta,

H

Maybe, what sort of retaining wall are you wanting and how long is it. Take a picture and send to me and can give you a scary price :D

renth Aug 3rd 2006 12:50 am

H

Good luck, our house needs 3 cementboard fence panels replaced, the landlord got someone in to give a quote - $2,800 if you please! :eek:

aussie bloke Aug 3rd 2006 2:42 am

Originally Posted by renth
Good luck, our house needs 3 cementboard fence panels replaced, the landlord got someone in to give a quote - $2,800 if you please! :eek:

what a mark up !!

3 x sheets from Bunnings = $240

that's alot of labour (profit)

tools required = 1 shovel or is that a spade

try getting a handyman quote instead of a fencing contractors quote (they are flat-out with new block builds)

or I'll come around and do it for $2,799

:D

renth Aug 3rd 2006 2:45 am

Originally Posted by aussie bloke
what a mark up !!

Welcome to Perth in 2006!

I rent, the quote was for my landlord who went into crazy Italian mode when he heard the price.

movetoperth Aug 3rd 2006 2:57 am

I had friends who needed a retaining wall built,they were quoted between $15k and $50k :scared:

They changed their plans on what to do with their garden.

Lynn

henke Aug 3rd 2006 1:37 pm

Thanks Folks,

I'll get the tape and camera out and be in touch Siren and Brian!.

In the spirit of crazy building prices I was quoted $650 to supply and fit a garden gate!!. Gate from Bunnings was $109, a length of 3" by 1" $14, and a drill $59!!!!. Took me about 45 mins to fit.

I wonder if builders belive in Karma???

Rug13y Aug 3rd 2006 1:57 pm

I kow of a company who have people with disabilities working there called Activ. They do great gardening work and ar pretty cheap too.
Give them a call 9443 1099

Northern-Monkey Aug 3rd 2006 10:24 pm

ill be there in around 4 - 5 weeks if you can hang on m8,,,,,,,,and my tools will be on the same plane with me....

Muzza04 Aug 4th 2006 2:03 am

Thanks Folks,

I'll get the tape and camera out and be in touch Siren and Brian!.

In the spirit of crazy building prices I was quoted $650 to supply and fit a garden gate!!. Gate from Bunnings was $109, a length of 3" by 1" $14, and a drill $59!!!!. Took me about 45 mins to fit.

I wonder if builders belive in Karma???

If it's a twinside wall your after...$100/m for up to 600mm height

For Limestone block, about $35/ per block (block size 1m*.35*.35)

Plus excavation at up to $25/m

Northern-Monkey Aug 4th 2006 2:45 pm

im serious im a builder coming over in 4-5 weeks and ill build you bluming wall, ffs and you can labour on me to save more of your dollers............
give me a plan of what need doing and i go from there

ta NM aka chris