Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need to open Bank, but need to land in next 90 days?

Need to open Bank, but need to land in next 90 days?

Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of
Default Need to open Bank, but need to land in next 90 days?

Want to open westpac account, to put some money in it and start depositing funds. But it says online need to be in country within 90 days....
But i might mot be going till september !
Any suggestions? x
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to open Bank, but need to land in next 90 days?

Originally Posted by rackcatt
Want to open westpac account, to put some money in it and start depositing funds. But it says online need to be in country within 90 days....
But i might mot be going till september !
Any suggestions? x
Sounds odd. When we opened our CommBank account prior to moving over, we didn't move until about 15 months later. I'd ring someone to check (obviously not just anyone, but someone in a position of some importance at Westpac )
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

Will call them tommorow. Both the application letter and online says " I am arriving in Australia and able to complete an identity check at my Westpac branch within 90 days of application
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rackcatt
Will call them tommorow. Both the application letter and online says " I am arriving in Australia and able to complete an identity check at my Westpac branch within 90 days of application
See what other banks say. Even if you open one to put money in, doesn't mean you have to stay with them once here if you don't want to. Seems like a daft rule to me and maybe there's another account with them you could open that doesn't have that restriction? As I said, Comm had no such rule, just that you could put money in from overseas but not withdraw until you were resident which seemed fair enough.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice

We opened a Westpac account 4 months before arriving in Oz in September last year. According to the Oz banking rules you need to have your identity checked in person within 90 days of opening your account, and most banks, and their forms, assume that you will do this when arriving in Oz. However it is possible to have all the identity checks done at the Westpac branch in London, which is what we did. They are incredibly helpful there so I strongly suggest calling them and asking for the migrant banking department.
They did tell us that in some cases you can ask your local bank to do the identity check on their behalf and then send the forms to Westpac, however some of the local UK banks were not being very cooperative. So in the end we decided to make the trip to London and do the id checks there. Once you have done the id checks your account is fully functional and you can start to use internet banking etc. Please PM me if you need more details.
Good luck
Lynette
Old Feb 14th 2011, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lynetteh
We opened a Westpac account 4 months before arriving in Oz in September last year. According to the Oz banking rules you need to have your identity checked in person within 90 days of opening your account, and most banks, and their forms, assume that you will do this when arriving in Oz. However it is possible to have all the identity checks done at the Westpac branch in London, which is what we did. They are incredibly helpful there so I strongly suggest calling them and asking for the migrant banking department.
They did tell us that in some cases you can ask your local bank to do the identity check on their behalf and then send the forms to Westpac, however some of the local UK banks were not being very cooperative. So in the end we decided to make the trip to London and do the id checks there. Once you have done the id checks your account is fully functional and you can start to use internet banking etc. Please PM me if you need more details.
Good luck
Lynette
Thanks Lynette

Im going to open it today online...xx