Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The need for family day care on Gold Coast?

The need for family day care on Gold Coast?

Old Dec 10th 2007, 11:44 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default The need for family day care on Gold Coast?

Hi there,
Just wondering how many of you have debated or have put your children into family day care.
The reason I ask is that I am planning on setting up as a family day carer in the new year. I've got experience and my house is big enough but I'm concerned as to how realistic earning a decent wage from doing family day care actually is.
I've been in touch with FDCA and the YMCA but neither will tell me how much need there is for it in my area. I don't really want to go making alterations to my home if the kids are not available. I live in Oxenford, just 2 streets from Pacific Pines which is a high growth area.
I've been trawling the internet for a while now but keep hitting a brick wall so if any of you can help that'd be great.
Marie
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The need for family day care on Gold Coast?

My girls are older so I don't need it but I think there is a need especially during holiday time. Not all schools offer pre and post school care but those that do, obviously don't offer the service to pre school siblings. There was someone who used to post but has now gone back to the UK who really struggled to find holiday care for her pre schooler. If there was the sort of thing you're offering I think you'd get business.

Don't know if that helps or not Good luck with it though. You're in the perfect place up there with the growth of Pac Pines.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

THE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the rough

Keep me posted if you do decide to go for it. I am hoping to go back to work once my eldest starts prep in January and I can't get him booked in for before or after school care anywhere. I have also got a 3 year old who I will need to put in day care and was hoping to get them in to the same place. We are in upper coomera and I think as the area is growing so rapidly the day care centers can't keep up with the demand, so I think your idea will definately work
Lisa x
Old Dec 11th 2007, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

This may help.

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search...referrer=wcore
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

ex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to allex Tassiemum is a name known to all

......is HUGE!!!!.........my daughter has an almost 2yo and works full time. She lives on the Gold Coast at Mermaid Waters and has had her name down for FDC since moving here 7 months ago and STILL NOTHING!!!....if you were opening up near here that would be a godsend!!! lol

And the FDC office are so unhelpful. My daughter rings to check on possible vacancies regularly and is simply told there's nothing! As an ex- FDC provider I know from experience that at the end of each year you have kids moving onto school and using out of school hours care onsite and that in turn frees up space for a new child to start when school begins. So why my daughter hasnt heard from a carer regarding freed up space for 2008 I have no idea unless the waiting list is that long its not happening.!!!

And further to all this my daughter is a single mother doing it alone and should be a priority 2 on the Daycare list which is the law but she is still struggling to find FDC. If a single mum is working then she is costing the tax payer much less so thats the reason for offering priority places to them in childcare. But thats another story!

She had no problems obtaining childcare in a Centre but has to spread her week with her son 4 days in one centre and 1 day at another until early next year when the 4 day centre will be able to offer her 5 full days.

So if anyone is thinking of becoming a Carer on the Gold Coast go for it!! lol

The pay rate is whatever you want it to be as you are self-employed but to remain competitive you prob. need to charge what most others do and I think that is around $4.50 to $5 per hour per child. It adds up per hour when you consider you can have approx. 7 children at once which includes your own if you have any. If you dont have children of your own at home all day you can effectively earn $35 per hour.

There is a real shortage of FDC here on the GC from our experience.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Hi there,
Just wondering how many of you have debated or have put your children into family day care.
The reason I ask is that I am planning on setting up as a family day carer in the new year. I've got experience and my house is big enough but I'm concerned as to how realistic earning a decent wage from doing family day care actually is.
I've been in touch with FDCA and the YMCA but neither will tell me how much need there is for it in my area. I don't really want to go making alterations to my home if the kids are not available. I live in Oxenford, just 2 streets from Pacific Pines which is a high growth area.
I've been trawling the internet for a while now but keep hitting a brick wall so if any of you can help that'd be great.
Marie
So basically you'll be a childminder. Any business starting off is going to be slow, but trust me it really does depend on the effort you put in as to how successfull it is. There is always need for childcare where there are family housing, you may need to compete with a nursery, but family day care is more flexible, more friendly and can offer a more personal service.

Go to local mums and baby playgroups ask around in preschools if people would use a service if one opened up. Word and mouth is the best way to get a successfull business.

Its scary to take the plung, but if you can find a gap in the market then your going to be very very busy.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:38 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the answers. I personally struggled to get care on Saturdays when we needed it so I know there is a shortage for Saturday care. I do have 2 kids of my own, 1 about to start grade 2, and a 2 week old baby. Family day care is something I have been thinking about since arriving in Oz 2 years ago but only now is it the right time for me to take the plunge. I used Family day care in England and I would much rather have my kids there than in a centre, purely because it's more personal.

To The Turner CLan, I'll PM you over the next few days.

Marie
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:37 am
Just Joined

lmgj is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the answers. I personally struggled to get care on Saturdays when we needed it so I know there is a shortage for Saturday care. I do have 2 kids of my own, 1 about to start grade 2, and a 2 week old baby. Family day care is something I have been thinking about since arriving in Oz 2 years ago but only now is it the right time for me to take the plunge. I used Family day care in England and I would much rather have my kids there than in a centre, purely because it's more personal.

Marie
Hi, there is a need for child care but just be aware that there are 2 new day care centres opening in Pac pines in the near future. One near the tavern on the corner by the park and supposedly another near to the new Park lake school. Good luck, I think that there are so many day nurseries over here that the demand for childminding is not as high but I am sure many people would prefer it if it was available.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

THE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the roughTHE TURNER CLAN is a jewel in the rough

Marie
Thanks Marie

Lisa
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:54 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
Marie
Don't forget to get your "Bluecard" criminal history and background checks done from the Qld government as you will be working with kids.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice

Good to see there is a need for childcare. Im a registerd childminder and would love to continue once we are in OZ. Does anyone know if I'll have to start the whole registering process from scratch or will all my UK childcare documents and training course certificates in childcare areas be enough to start out there right away?
Old Dec 15th 2007, 11:48 am
GC family day carer

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Don't forget to get your "Bluecard" criminal history and background checks done from the Qld government as you will be working with kids.

Already organised to get all that done. Got to update my first aid too.